Notices

Ontario Storm

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 04:39 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Ontario Storm

Well that was a blustery one...hope everyone made it through ok. We didn't have any damage or lose any tress, but some sure looked they wanted to come over.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:23 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 136 Posts

Some decent size branches, like 4 to 5 inches diameter, torn off trees here in Etobicoke.

it was over really quickly though.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:39 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 314 Posts

My neighborhood was impassable for a while due to downed trees. Only cleared due to neighbours with chainsaws. No power for much of the city. Am 68 and that was by far the most intense storm I have experienced.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:17 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

A large branch from my neighbors tree came down damaging 3 houses. No one was hurt. If the branch fell the other way and hit my place I'd be screwed as I sold my house and the closing isn't until July. BTW I'm in Mimico

The hydro wires are just behind me and they were still live

Last edited by Brian 162; 05-21-2022 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:58 AM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Well that was a blustery one...hope everyone made it through ok. We didn't have any damage or lose any tress, but some sure looked they wanted to come over.

Still amazed by how many idiots don't come to a 4 way stop when all of the traffic lights are out. We lost power here in Markham / Richmond Hill just after 1:00 pm on Saturday and just had it restored at 1:57am Sunday.
The following 2 users liked this post by MKC91:
#1SomeGuy (05-22-2022), RonnyC (05-26-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 08:25 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 137 Posts

Uxbridge checking in here - complete poop show here. Roofs off buildings, vehicles turned over and latest update is several days more without power (which seems optimistic IMO).
Old 05-23-2022, 08:17 AM
craiescale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Missed us completely - south of London by Lake Erie… hell, I was cutting the grass when it rolled through. Zero-turn got a bath, as did I.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:51 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

My street is still blocked off. The city came yesterday and cleared some of the branches. The live wires are still on the ground but people are still walking under the caution tape and taking pictures of the damaged tree and the broken branch. My neighbors still don't have power but they're pretty patient about it.
There are worse areas in Toronto than our street not to mention the devastation in Uxbridge. I have a friend that lives there but I think he took his family on vacation on Friday.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:09 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

came home from the cottage yesterday, and no damage thankfully.... backyard gate was blown open, but still on the hinges. Wife left the laundry on the line by accident before we left on Friday, so it got an extra rinse cycle. Rain gauge only captured 0.5" of rain, but I guess it doesn't catch horizontal rain well....

Best way to be prepared for a storm or electrical blackout is to buy a genset. I got a 3500w/ 220v portable gas generator about 10 yrs ago and have had about 8hrs total of no power since then....
Old 05-24-2022, 01:43 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

My son had an old tree fall on his house. Eglington and Keele area.
My place on Lake Simcoe wasn't too bad and we get some doozies.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:45 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
My son had an old tree fall on his house. Eglington and Keele area.
My place on Lake Simcoe wasn't too bad and we get some doozies.
post up a pic Rod. was it a big tree and cause a lot of damage? I hope not.
I was up in Killarney hiking silver peaks mountain and missed the storm completely

Old 05-24-2022, 10:40 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 137 Posts

EF2 tornado confirmed in Uxbridge. https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2449002
Some of this damage is less than 400m from my home and we had zero damage to speak of.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:38 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 164 Posts

After 22 years of cottage ownership (east of Peterborough), I have never lost any trees. Well, this weekend 2 tress 40 footers came down. Missed Jeep and boat by a couple feet, other tree landed on ATV. Luckily, not even a scratch on the bike.

Power was out from Saturday afternoon to Tuesday at 6 pm. We came home Sunday.

With respect to power outages, it is happening more and more. We would go many months, years sometimes without any power failures at the cottage. Power was back in 24 hours after the August 2003 blackout. This year, we have been without power at the cottage more than all previous years combined. We were out at Easter for a day and now 4 days out.

What I find is that having grown up in Toronto, we used to have more thunderstorms in July and August than we do now. What I find that we have now are "Wind Events." I would say in the last 5 or 6 years we have experienced, especially at the cottage, extended periods of wind. I notice this as I won't go fishing in the wind as it is an exercise in futility. We have been at the cottage and the wind won't die down for 4 or 5 days. Usually wind calms at night. There have been nights where the wind just continues to blow. That I find very unusual.

I keep wondering if the climate pendulum has swung beyond the point of no return....Scary thought that as a mid 50's person, I don't have a great deal to worry about. In 50 or 100 years, I think it will be very much different. I used to think that these were just blips of bad weather events. No I'm thinking something is shifting.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:46 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
After 22 years of cottage ownership (east of Peterborough), I have never lost any trees. Well, this weekend 2 tress 40 footers came down. Missed Jeep and boat by a couple feet, other tree landed on ATV. Luckily, not even a scratch on the bike.

Power was out from Saturday afternoon to Tuesday at 6 pm. We came home Sunday.

With respect to power outages, it is happening more and more. We would go many months, years sometimes without any power failures at the cottage. Power was back in 24 hours after the August 2003 blackout. This year, we have been without power at the cottage more than all previous years combined. We were out at Easter for a day and now 4 days out.

What I find is that having grown up in Toronto, we used to have more thunderstorms in July and August than we do now. What I find that we have now are "Wind Events." I would say in the last 5 or 6 years we have experienced, especially at the cottage, extended periods of wind. I notice this as I won't go fishing in the wind as it is an exercise in futility. We have been at the cottage and the wind won't die down for 4 or 5 days. Usually wind calms at night. There have been nights where the wind just continues to blow. That I find very unusual.

I keep wondering if the climate pendulum has swung beyond the point of no return....Scary thought that as a mid 50's person, I don't have a great deal to worry about. In 50 or 100 years, I think it will be very much different. I used to think that these were just blips of bad weather events. No I'm thinking something is shifting.
I agree on most points.... although we are lucky we haven't had power out much or at all the last few years....(knock on wood)....

Definitely more storms, flooding.....

Got an EV on order, rarely take the boat out anymore, can't remember when I took the SeaDoo out last... I now fish from a pedal kayak (my son just bought one as well, so that'll be fun)

I will indulge in the occasional short rip in either the Boxster or Miata in the evening.

Still on the fence about solar for our roof at home.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:55 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 356 Posts

Speaking with Maple Mark, my neighbour, he told me a syrup producer near Peterborough lost 18,000 trees in the storm. Thats going to sting and I expect there’ll be a glut of hardwood firewood.

Quick Reply: Ontario Storm