buying from ebay to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:04 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buying from ebay to Canada

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a used tool from ebay, and ship it to Canada (if the seller offers it). Does it work well in terms of shipping, etc.?
I never bought anything on ebay, and don't even know if I'll be able to communicate directly with the seller, or all communications go through ebay. Shipping used items over the border is tricky: how do customs calculate the duty (based on declared value, or they estimate the value of the item themselves)? Obviously, I'm looking for a good deal, and the declared value may look underpriced to a customs officer.
Did you guys try ebay? Any comments and hints for me?
Thanks, Stan
P.s. How do you arrange a payment, and are there some hidden costs for the buyer?
Old 04-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

I have bought several items from E-Bay and sellers are usually willing to ship to Canada. I would ask them to quote you shipping costs in advance and find out who they are shipping it with (depending on the value). As far as payment, I have set up a Pay-Pal account (see www.paypal.com for more info) and depending on the seller, it can be relatively simple and painless. Make sure you check the seller's rating and see what feedback they have on record (there are some snakes out there). As far as hidden costs, none from E-Bay, only to the seller and you'll end up paying some duties, taxes and brokerage fees (once again, based on the value of the item).
Old 04-21-2004, 01:41 PM
adie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd use a payment like paypal as everytime I have sent money order's I NEVER recieve the goods, also it's worth getting postage insurance as I have lost count of the amount of post I have had to chase up. It may work out more expensive once you have shipping and duty added on top than to sorce it locally, I avoid buying from America where ever possible as there are many bogus sellers out there, keep a good eye on feedback from them, if they are suddenly gettng a lot of negative scores it proably means they are cleaning up and are accepting payments without sending the goods so avoid them. Just use some common sence and make sure you get an idea of postage before it's sent, expect to pay some $ if there is goods declaired on the customs declairation.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

thanks, looks like I should do it, although should be cautious.
I'll set up a Paypal account. Sould I link it a checking account or a credit card (in the latter case, are the transactions considered by the credit card company as purchases or cash withdrawal?) In any case, do I pay a fee, etc. to Paypal when using it to purchase items from e-Bay?
Thanks, Stan
Old 04-22-2004, 03:30 PM
adie
Pro

I have it from my standard chequing account but some prefer it from a credit card account, you do not incur fee's but the seller does, they may wish to add a %age on for you using paypal but then you have to justify if it's worth pursuing the item. Always get some form of estimate up front as it will save all the negative feedback afterwards.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a lot of hassle if you're only buying one item. You can usually pay by cheque or money order too, you know. If they ship through anyone other than USPS expect a hefty customs brokers fee.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Bryan Henry
Instructor

Use pay-pal only so if their are any problems, e-bay is more willing to help. They offer fraud protection thru e-bay. All the details are listed on the site. Be prepared to pay at the border also. My webers and intakes bought on e-bay were an extra $350.00 canadian when they landed. Used UPS to get them here. Border slapped on a $90 brokerage fee and applicable taxes. If the seller will ship it as a gift you usually don't get hit with the tax's. If the part is available here at home, it may be worth it after you factor in the dollar difference, shipping and brokerage fees

Bryan Henry
Old 04-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

UPS is the worst. Avoid at all costs.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Sean79 5spd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have purchase over a hundrd items on Ebay. Only minor problems to date.
Use PayPal and USPS.

AVOID UPS LIKE THE PLAGUE

Quick Reply: buying from ebay to Canada