Notices

Off topic - where to sell used watch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 10:20 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Off topic - where to sell used watch?

Hey guys,

I know this is a bit off topic on this site, but wanted to hear if anyone has suggestions on where to sell good quality used watches (>$1k). I’m looking to sell an old bell and Ross, and have just posted it on kimono. However, I have a feeling I’ll get a ton of low ballers and scammers. I’m getting my post count up on timezone so I can post there. Any other ideas?

also, does anyone know if the watch market is going through the same thing as cars (high prices due to low supply and cheap cash)?
Old 12-12-2021, 11:29 PM
Abe Evrens
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts

Time zone or WatchUseek
Old 12-13-2021, 01:31 AM
Aluffman
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Hey guys,

I know this is a bit off topic on this site, but wanted to hear if anyone has suggestions on where to sell good quality used watches (>$1k). I’m looking to sell an old bell and Ross, and have just posted it on kimono. However, I have a feeling I’ll get a ton of low ballers and scammers. I’m getting my post count up on timezone so I can post there. Any other ideas?

also, does anyone know if the watch market is going through the same thing as cars (high prices due to low supply and cheap cash)?
The watch market is strong right now, but selling to the public is an absolute nightmare and there have been a number of thefts, muggings etc associated with sales. Basically people have been robbed in parking lots, banks, malls etc because there are very few items as small, valuable and with such high resale as a watch. I've got some auto watches listed for sale now, from $200-$4000 and it's a nightmare. Guys asking me how many seconds a day a $200 watch is running, when it was serviced, how many links, then they lowball anyway.
​​​​​​Unless you need to get absolute top dollar, I'd consider selling to a jeweler for a pain free transaction.

Can you post the details of what youre selling? Just in case I know somebody interested.

Adam
Old 12-13-2021, 01:35 AM
Aluffman
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Hey guys,

Canada Watch Exchange group on Facebook is probably going to be the fastest way to move it. Lots of experienced buyers who won't waste your time.

Another good option:
https://canwatchco.ca/forum.php

The following users liked this post:
westcoastj (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 10:04 AM
fenixv8
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have bought and sold on https://canwatchco.ca/forum.php and reddit Watch exchange and Canadian Watch exchange. Both places are good if you want to get the value for your watch.

I have made bigger purchases on kijiji but have done them in or around a watch shop or bank that can verify or provide a safe place for transaction.

lastly, if you need it sold quickly there are a couple shops in the core that buy and sell used high end watches but they take a big cut.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:12 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aluffman
The watch market is strong right now, but selling to the public is an absolute nightmare and there have been a number of thefts, muggings etc associated with sales. Basically people have been robbed in parking lots, banks, malls etc because there are very few items as small, valuable and with such high resale as a watch. I've got some auto watches listed for sale now, from $200-$4000 and it's a nightmare. Guys asking me how many seconds a day a $200 watch is running, when it was serviced, how many links, then they lowball anyway.
​​​​​​Unless you need to get absolute top dollar, I'd consider selling to a jeweler for a pain free transaction.

Can you post the details of what youre selling? Just in case I know somebody interested.

Adam
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Here is my Kijiji listing:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-jewelry-watc...2743?undefined

Yeah, I agree that I would need to be careful. TBH, I think I will demand to get payment and then ship the watch. Meeting face to face would be... dangerous.

Originally Posted by fenixv8
I have bought and sold on https://canwatchco.ca/forum.php and reddit Watch exchange and Canadian Watch exchange. Both places are good if you want to get the value for your watch.

I have made bigger purchases on kijiji but have done them in or around a watch shop or bank that can verify or provide a safe place for transaction.

lastly, if you need it sold quickly there are a couple shops in the core that buy and sell used high end watches but they take a big cut.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not interested in selling to a shop. I just know I'm not going to get value. I'll check out that site.

Right now, just trying to get my post count up on Timezone, so I can post the for sale ad. I think that will be my best bet.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:46 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

I can't seem to get onto canwatchco. The registration process has a "random question" which I have no idea what the answer is. I'm guessing I need a referral.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:12 PM
Mikli
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

canwatchco.ca
This is the best for Canadians. Don't have to worry about the import taxes and keep it in Canada. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2021, 02:01 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

I've sold a watch on Canwatchco a number of years ago and was close to picking up a watch or two from said forum but was beat out by other guys.

I've also had good experience on WatchUSeek and Timezone but I don't really want to deal with overseas buyers/seller anymore.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:46 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
I've sold a watch on Canwatchco a number of years ago and was close to picking up a watch or two from said forum but was beat out by other guys.

I've also had good experience on WatchUSeek and Timezone but I don't really want to deal with overseas buyers/seller anymore.
Thanks. I'm trying to figure out how to create an account on canwatchco. Timezone and WatchUSeek are great, but I don't have the minimum 100 posts. Working my way there on Timezone...

Worse comes to worst, I'll put it on Chrono24.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:49 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

lol. I'm an idiot. the question was "What was Randy Bachman taking care of?" Pop culture isn't my thing.... anyways, figured out it was the old song 'taking care of business'.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:35 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 267 Likes on 174 Posts

If you don't want to deal with the general public(no thanks), try this guy DavidSW https://davidsw.com/sell-your-watch/
Bought my rolex off him a long time ago and he was great to deal with.
FWIW the rolex has more than doubled in price, the watch market is very hot.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:52 PM
Mikster
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

I’ve had good success purchasing on Chrono24.

M

Last edited by Mikster; 12-13-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:36 AM
JoeRock
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I've bought and sold on Chrono24 as well. It includes an escrow service so no need to meet buyers in a dark gas station parking lot, but the fees are not low. Money gets released to you once shipment is received by the buyer.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:11 AM
fenixv8
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I had trouble with the registration as well. I had to contact the forum owner for assistance.

Quick Reply: Off topic - where to sell used watch?