Notices

Luxury Tax Proposed in Budget 2021 - New Developments

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 09:38 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Look at the crime in the major cities - Immigrant gangs are burning down houses and extorting home builders.
At least with houses, they're targeting their own ethnic group.

When I was a kid, italian gangs were extorting italian immigrants. I remember on my street in burlington, cops were parked outside some guy's house for years.

I travel a lot. There are beggars everywhere. A trend I have seen over the last few years in europe is people prostating themselves on the sidewalk. I didn't see any beggars in Bali when I was there in october last. When I was a student in London, UK years ago, there were plenty of people living in boxes, although last august I don't remember seeing any beggars. Perhaps I was just not looking.

Last edited by reacp911; 01-24-2024 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:45 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,207 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by DDzPorsche
Have no fear, the Federal Government is organizing an Auto Theft Summit
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/libe...road-1.6735996
Old 01-24-2024, 10:05 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

^ Is it trudeau's responsibility to stop car theft? Car theft of the kind that is happening right now is the largely fault of manufacturers poor design. As in a link on this site somewhere, this theft vulnerablity has been know for at least a dozen years, and is only now being addressed.
According to the link, a cheap motion sensor could have solved the problem, as well as timing algorithms, ie, speed of light vs speed of processing in a relay boxes. The motion sensor technique would even prolong battery life. My '04 daily driver volvo with non-keyless remote battery is still good 20 years later!
Old 01-24-2024, 11:01 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

No beggars in Bali. Wow.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:38 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
No beggars in Bali. Wow.
I don't remember seeing any. There are other gimmicks tho. In one temple, a monkey jumped on my head and stole my glasses. Luckily for me, a local was there to barter the glasses back from the monkey with some treats, after which I was expected to express my gratitude.

also luckily, I was wearing a tilley hat

Last edited by reacp911; 01-24-2024 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:14 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 229 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
^ Is it trudeau's responsibility to stop car theft? Car theft of the kind that is happening right now is the largely fault of manufacturers poor design. As in a link on this site somewhere, this theft vulnerablity has been know for at least a dozen years, and is only now being addressed.
According to the link, a cheap motion sensor could have solved the problem, as well as timing algorithms, ie, speed of light vs speed of processing in a relay boxes. The motion sensor technique would even prolong battery life. My '04 daily driver volvo with non-keyless remote battery is still good 20 years later!
Well, why not?... He/They/Them, sure seem worried about fixing every other problem around the globe, perhaps they could focus on helping their own heavily taxed citizens out for a change... Or perhaps you/he/they/them, believe the problem will "balance itself" out..
Old 01-24-2024, 02:20 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Well, why not?... He/They/Them, sure seem worried about fixing every other problem around the globe, perhaps they could focus on helping their own heavily taxed citizens out for a change... Or perhaps you/he/they/them, believe the problem will "balance itself" out..
Obviously, they could fix it with legistation to specify certain theft prevention criteria, but I thought trudeau haters also hated legislation
Old 01-24-2024, 02:22 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 525 Likes on 201 Posts

The really rich usually did not get there by being stupid financially. I know many guys with over $30 million personal net worth easy who will not pay the luxury tax out of principle, they are fed up with what Trudeau has done with the Private Corp taxes and the luxury tax. They buy their toys in places like Florida and keep them there. When the luxury tax came out accountants said that high end luxury buyers would find ways around it, which I think is happening. In the end all it does is hurt Canadian dealers, all in the name of "virtue signalling," I wonder how much the tax really brings in.
The following 3 users liked this post by KenTO:
.2PDK (01-24-2024), RealityGT (01-25-2024), SToronto (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 02:26 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 525 Likes on 201 Posts

From The Globe and Mail March 2023

A Finance Department report on the projected impact of the new federal luxury tax says it could lead to between 400 and 870 job losses – a finding auto, boating and aviation industry groups argue confirms their warning that the policy will hurt Canadian workers.

The federal government has imposed a tax on the sale of new luxury vehicles and aircraft priced at $100,000 and above and on new vessels selling for $250,000 or more. The luxury tax was first announced in the 2021 budget, and took effect Sept. 1, 2022.

Department officials told the House of Commons finance committee last year that they had not produced an assessment of the tax’s economic impact. The new report is dated March, 2023, and was provided to that committee, which has been studying the tax.

The analysis by the Finance Department, which provides research and policy support to Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland, also says the new tax could lower total Canadian GDP by between $58-million and $125-million. The report describes this as equivalent to up to 0.005 per cent of GDP, adding that is “a negligible share, although this entirely reflects the very narrow and specific base to which this tax is applied.”

Adrienne Vaupshas, a spokesperson for Ms. Freeland, noted that officials say in the report that their assumptions “likely lead to an overestimation” of the tax’s impact. Ms. Vaupshas said the luxury tax was a clear element of the past two Liberal election platforms.

“It is only right and fair that the very wealthiest are asked to pay their fair share,” she said.

The department’s estimate for job losses is lower than other reports presented by industry groups. Some involved with those reports took issue with a few of the department’s economic assumptions, but said its research nonetheless confirms their warning that the tax will cost jobs.

Throughout its report, the Finance Department cautions that estimating the potential impact of the luxury tax is challenging because of the limited available economic research on the topic.
Broken down by sector, the report says the vehicles market would be hardest hit in terms of reduced sales, with an impact of between $125.2-million and $210.2-million. Vessels would be next, with reduced sales of between $32.7-million and $102.9-million, followed by aircraft at between $13.5-milion and $28.7-million.

The Finance Department’s estimates for reduced sales by sector are roughly in line with projections released in May, 2022, by Parliamentary Budget Officer Yves Giroux.

Also, the report says the tax will raise $654-million in revenue over five years, which is slightly lower than the PBO’s estimate of $779-million.

Charles Bernard, lead economist with the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association, said the government report supports the industry’s concerns.

“The analysis provided by Finance Canada on the impact of the Federal Luxury Tax makes clear that automotive retailers and their employees will be hurt by the tax – not wealthy Canadians,” he said in a statement. “Even this report’s minimizing approach makes clear hundreds of local dealership jobs will be lost and tens of millions of economic growth will be lost.”

The National Marine Manufacturers Association Canada released a report in 2021 by economists Jack Mintz and Fred O’Riordan that concluded the tax would lead to $90.5-million in reduced vessel sales and the loss of 896 jobs, with the potential of as many as 3,670 lost jobs in the sector.

Jim Wielgosz, the association’s interim executive director, said the association is “deeply disappointed” that the department didn’t reach out to hear about the impact of the tax.

“We’re not surprised by the findings of the Finance study. It lines up with what we’ve been hearing from marine businesses across Canada, who have reported millions of dollars in sales losses and dozens of jobs destroyed. That’s just barely half a year after the tax was introduced,” he said in an e-mail.

The government projections for the impact on luxury aircraft sales are considerably lower than a report released last year by the Aerospace Industries Association of Canada, which warned the tax would cause at least 2,000 direct job losses in that sector alone.

The AIAC report was prepared by HEC Montréal business school professor Jacques Roy. Reached for comment, Prof. Roy defended his own findings and said he questions some of the Finance Department’s assumptions.

For instance, Prof. Roy said the department’s report appears to underestimate the degree to which consumers of luxury aircraft would divert their spending in response to the tax. He also questioned the department’s estimate of between 10 and 22 lost direct jobs in the sector, pointing out that it takes 75 full-time employees to build a single business jet.

The department’s report acknowledges that estimating a behavioural response is especially challenging when it comes to aircraft.

“To our knowledge, there is no empirical evidence on the potential behavioural response from the taxation of privately-owned aircraft,” the report states, adding that the department’s report relies on several assumptions and “should be interpreted with some caution.”

Mike Mueller, president and chief executive officer of the AIAC, said the government report “greatly minimizes” the impact on business jet sales.

“Our members are seeing orders cancelled, clearly showing this tax is counterproductive and harms the Canadian aerospace sector,” he said.

Know what is happening in the halls of power with the day’s top political headlines and commentary as selected by Globe editors (subscribers only).

The following 2 users liked this post by KenTO:
RealityGT (01-25-2024), Thicc911Turbo (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 06:46 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,207 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Look at the crime in the major cities - Immigrant gangs are burning down houses and extorting home builders, stealing cars at record pace, etc.
Did I hear right that TO city council is not going to give the police the necessary funds to deal with all the new law abiding guests Justin has invited?
Old 01-25-2024, 09:48 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 229 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Did I hear right that TO city council is not going to give the police the necessary funds to deal with all the new law abiding guests Justin has invited?
How does this surprise you? Olivia and friends want to defund the police, which I find quite odd, as they would be the people relying on the police the most....
Old 01-25-2024, 11:21 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
How does this surprise you? Olivia and friends want to defund the police, which I find quite odd, as they would be the people relying on the police the most....
defunding the police is the stupidest idea anyone has ever come up with.
The following users liked this post:
RealityGT (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 01:48 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 969 Likes on 582 Posts

Defunding the police sure worked out great for our neighbor to the south. Crime is pretty bad in Canada as well. It will be interesting to see what the next 10 years holds. NATO is saying to prepare for WW3.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:02 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 585 Likes on 254 Posts

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...hall-1.7093463
Old 01-25-2024, 02:28 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 969 Likes on 582 Posts

Zero about motive or the manifesto that was released prior of this attack, great reporting from our lib media.

Here is the real story and you can watch the video of the manifesto:

Edmonton City Hall Accused Shooter, Manifesto Under RCMP National Security Investigation – Heartland News

Sounds like terrorism to me? At least when I read the criminal code definition of it. I dislike the use of terrorism all the time, but this seems like the exact definition of it?

The following users liked this post:
RealityGT (01-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Luxury Tax Proposed in Budget 2021 - New Developments