Notices

Warranty And Indie Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 12:32 AM
Fetaisbeta
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty And Indie Service

Long time BMW owner...new to Porsche. I would go to the dealership and then go indie if out of warranty on my BMWs.

Anybody have luck preserving the warranty and avoiding the dealer on service?

I expected Porsche to be pricey compared to BMW but $1,799 and $1,900 is what I was quoted for a 60k service on a Cayenne. I was prepared for $400 oil changes and big brake jobs! The 60k service however is essentially an oil, engine filter, cabin filter and checks. Brake fluid and alignment are extra. Seems crazy or I called the wrong places? Seems like picking the services "a la carte" isn't going to work.

Tempted to go indie while in warranty for the Porsche. Am I missing something? Yes you need to pay to play...but it feels like "take advantage" pricing.

Telling me I'm too poor for Porsche isn't helpful

Last edited by Fetaisbeta; 07-28-2021 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:22 AM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Theoretically, the dealer can't refuse warranty because it is serviced elsewhere. In reality, you'll have a difficult time with warranty claims without a pre existing relationship.

Personally, I'd go to the I die, and bank the savings. Those savings should more than pay for any warranty issue that nay arise.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:48 AM
Slngshot
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

If you have documented proof of the service done at the indie, there is no argument with respect to warranty.

do NOT do the ‘cash deal’ no receipt crap.
it’ll bite ya.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:13 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Which Indie you recommend for BMW then? Welcome to the fold!
Old 07-30-2021, 06:23 PM
Fetaisbeta
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Which Indie you recommend for BMW then? Welcome to the fold!
Been going to Rocco at RMP in Etobicoke for years. Always fair and does great work.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:01 AM
Lemikson
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

All you need is a Licensed Tech working at legit Indy, repair order that clearly outlines scope of work, and parts that meet manufacturer's requirements - I am purposely not saying OEM part is a must.
If they give you grief in some unfortunate case you only need to mention one magic word - CAMVAP
Old 08-01-2021, 12:34 PM
bpiorczyn
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd recommend Atila at Techmax Auto in Mississauga. No BS and extremely reasonable.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:06 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,027 Likes on 550 Posts

If you always go indie, you might have a problem counting on the dealer for any out of warranty goodwill coverage.

Just went thru this with the macan. 5 year old car with timing chain cover oil leak repair. An engine out repair that still costed me 2k instead of 5k.

One of the questions they ask to qualify for goodwill was if the car has been serviced regularly at a Porsche dealer.

I know 3k is not a lot compared to what you can potentially save over all the dealer visits.

You also have all these little campaigns and occasional recalls that only a dealer can do.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:02 PM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

In the east end - look up Tom @ EuroTek Auto in Brooklin. Great prices and very knowledgeable with quality job done. I bet your price for the service you've mentioned will be 1/2 the price or even less.

Typically he charges around $200 for 996/7 oil change (Liquimoly)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:53 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Indy shop checking in. You might want to ask for OEM things like plugs, filtres etc. We have had a few instances (again dealer dependant) where they refuse warranty or Extended warranty certification because jobber parts were used even if they're Mahle, Mann etc. As stupid as it sounds.

We have had instances where cars have been to other shops lacking diagnosis software to reset the service. It's all logged in... So even if the service was done but the mainrence reminder wasn't reset it could be considered as not being done. I know as crazy as it sounds but I've seen it all. I'm sure all the top GTA shops have no issue with this though
Old 08-04-2021, 10:14 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

An indie shop that is AUTHORIZED by the vehicle manufacturer to perform service on said vehicles is no different than having it serviced at a dealership. I don't know about BMWs, but Auto Select in Newmarket for example can perform all service - in or out of warranty - on VWs, Audis and Porsches, and stamp your warranty booklet.

Quick Reply: Warranty And Indie Service