Notices

Insurance Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 07:57 AM
Joehatz
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Insurance Problems

An article in the National Post this morning reported that a person had been denied insurance claim on totalled vehicle because exhaust had been changed,
No end to what insurance companies will do so they don't have to pay. In the end they did pay the claim.

https://driving.ca/subaru/auto-news/...his-sports-car

Last edited by Joehatz; 05-04-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:52 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

If there's anyone here surprised by this please raise your hand...
Old 05-04-2021, 08:53 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...aust-mods.html
Old 05-04-2021, 09:38 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

in a somewhat related insurance thing i was wondering about .. so you get super low insurance rates at one of those companies like CAA ( just an example ) you get 2 maybe even 1 ticket and they drop you as you have to have a clean record . Now you have to get insurance and state you have been denied insurance now ?

That would be a nightmare i would imagine.

Yeah the no changes from stock thing, has been around decades, but very rarely enforced.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:14 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

The first job for all claims department is to deny the claim. Always.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911 Rod:
Adamant1971 (05-04-2021), westcoastj (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 11:43 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
in a somewhat related insurance thing i was wondering about .. so you get super low insurance rates at one of those companies like CAA ( just an example ) you get 2 maybe even 1 ticket and they drop you as you have to have a clean record . Now you have to get insurance and state you have been denied insurance now ?

That would be a nightmare i would imagine.

Yeah the no changes from stock thing, has been around decades, but very rarely enforced.
if you have too many tickets or accidents etc, they usually don't cancel you, they just inform you that they will not renew when your policy is due. a friend is going through this right now.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:45 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

end of the day Desjardins could not blame the accident on the exhaust so they had to pay. These insurance companies will try everything to avoid paying.
I wonder if they had actually gone through and denied coverage, would they refund his premiums paid after the exhaust was installed?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:46 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

This is why I tell the insurance company I have mods. If they don't want to insure me, my wife, our perfect driving records, etc. then I'll find someone who will.

I couldn't disagree more with Rod's comment. In general, you'd find more instances of obvious overpayment, and companies don't want to deny claims, because it provides huge, negative brand implications. They want to be fair, and get to a solution quickly. However, in this case, the insured didn't provide all of the information, which resulted in the insurance company not pricing them correctly. This is the issue the insurance company has. Mods put you in a different pricing bucket, due to higher risk. If you don't want to pay for this, don't mod your car, or don't expect an easy time if you have a claim.
The following users liked this post:
Freakhead (05-06-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 12:57 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

The same insurance companies that insist on repairing your car using substandard aftermarket parts after a collision.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:02 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka
I couldn't disagree more with Rod's comment. In general, you'd find more instances of obvious overpayment, and companies don't want to deny claims, because it provides huge, negative brand implications.
That's not been my experience at all. Through work, I've had to go to bat for customers dozens of times. Probably about 85% of the time I was able to get the insurance company to come up. At least 40 or 50% of the time they grossly undervalued the payout and wouldn't provide their sources of valuation (Kingsway, I'm looking in your direction). Almost every time I provided them with multiple valuation samples, they matched what I asked them for. This leads me to believe that what Rod says is true. Mind you, this is going to bat for customers who were all leasing vehicles in the 18-36% APR bracket, so maybe insurance companies take a harder line with the sub-prime market, expecting less push back from customers. I certainly never once had an insurance company over-value a claim.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:33 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
That's not been my experience at all. Through work, I've had to go to bat for customers dozens of times. Probably about 85% of the time I was able to get the insurance company to come up. At least 40 or 50% of the time they grossly undervalued the payout and wouldn't provide their sources of valuation (Kingsway, I'm looking in your direction). Almost every time I provided them with multiple valuation samples, they matched what I asked them for. This leads me to believe that what Rod says is true. Mind you, this is going to bat for customers who were all leasing vehicles in the 18-36% APR bracket, so maybe insurance companies take a harder line with the sub-prime market, expecting less push back from customers. I certainly never once had an insurance company over-value a claim.
I get your point, and there are certainly outliars. Especially on more exotic or special cars, where there can be a wide range in the JD Power/Kelley Blue Book/etc. valuations. Perhaps, "over valuation" would be too strong a term, but the total value of the claims is often higher than it needs to be, once people hold their rental cars too long, let it sit in tow yards, etc. Insurance companies are incentivized to settle quickly to reduce cycle time to reduce these other costs, which is why you can often negotiate upwards. First offer is likely baselined in the ACV/RCV of the established valuations from JDP/KBB, albeit everyone thinks their car is in better condition than it actually is.

Anyways, just my opinion, although I have some work experience in the area.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:06 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka
First offer is likely baselined in the ACV/RCV of the established valuations from JDP/KBB,
Believe it or not, the few times I was able to get the actual report from the adjuster, it was almost always a bunch of auto trader ads, copied and pasted. And usually base models, regardless of trim package of the insured's car, and often from small towns a few hours north, where prices are lower.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I deal with this regularly. Very rare almost never happens that they provide a value higher than market. pretty much happens rarely when they are mistaken that it is a higher end model.
the reports do use local advertised cars but often are not realistic with regard to options etc. The insurance companies are becoming very cheap and now take back rental car as soon as they make an offer, try to get car towed so no storage and now don't even send an appraiser-they ask the shop to supply photos and mark all cars as average condition, this allows them to get an offer out quick and hopefully settle. Dealing with insurance is similar to banks...all they care about is profit. they really don't care about bad pr or "negative brand implications". Another thing they do is many of the adjusters seriously are uneducated and can't add 2+2, and they are always on vacation or sick. You really have to know how to deal with them and threaten arbitration umpire before they treat customers seriously. I have lots of stories on this topic, like the time the adjuster found out the insured was terminal and delayed the claim intentionally.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:33 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

similar to Christien, I once helped a a friend on written off small SUV. While it was about 10yrs, it had super low mileage (30K kms in 10yrs) and dealer maintained. The adjuster was using high mileage base models from shady dealers from ads in Auto Trader. We simply sent our own comparables, being low mileage dealer advertised vehicles that were truely comparable. Suddenly the adjuster accepted them and also partially paid for winter tires.
The adjuster is just going their job. You need to justify your position for asking for more and usually should be smooth sailing, but think of it as what you would actually get if you had to sell your car and you won't always get what you think it is worth or what you have in it, especially if you just recently spent money on repairs or upgrades.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:12 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
The first job for all claims department is to deny the claim. Always.
Personally in the last 8 years I have had 1 collision, 2 windshield, and 2 house claims denied.
We won every one of them, but it is a bit upsetting.

Last edited by 911 Rod; 05-04-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Insurance Problems