Notices

Terrible Experience with Engine Replacement Under Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 04:27 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

FazedChicken,
How did they find out you had the DSC in the car?
I guess i'll remove mine when the car is going in to the dealer for winter storage

Danny
Old 10-29-2020, 04:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,062 Likes on 757 Posts

i wonder if it flags the ECU .. its likely a can bus system and did not recognize the address of that device and logged it .. .
Old 10-29-2020, 04:58 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
As ive said many time before and this shows it once again . There is nothing magical about the Porsche brand , they have great marketing to have you believe such things. they are just another company moving over priced iron and try to get out of as many warranty claims as possible.

i am however goin gto play the devils advocate on this one as I am thinking how could Porsche possibly claim it led to engine failure .. Il do my best ...

"The DSC behaved in a manner not approved by Porsche, causing the car dynamics to shift outside of designed parameters and caused an oil scavenge failure. " This oil scavenge failure due to the extreme g forces experienced and tilt caused by the DSC controller resulted in catastrophic failure to the engine, "

they dont have to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt because you modified the car, they just have to provide reasonable doubt, especially as noted above the modifications piece is in the purchase contract.

aka ... we just dont wanna pay .
Yeah basically. They can easily claim that even though the suspension still operates within stock parameters (since it is all stock hardware for the actual suspension).

Just a really expensive lesson learned and hopefully someone can learn from my post and save themselves $20k.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:00 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Originally Posted by dannyss
FazedChicken,
How did they find out you had the DSC in the car?
I guess i'll remove mine when the car is going in to the dealer for winter storage

Danny
When it got towed to PCNT from the track, they scanned the car pretty soon after before I could even talk with them about what was going to be done next. I didn't know they'd do that and even then, I didn't think a simple mod like DSC controller would void my entire engine warranty. Like someone else said, they'll use any little excuse they can find to deny it, especially for an engine replacement. If it was a smaller issue, I doubt they would have cared as much.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:03 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Originally Posted by Gregster
Id lawyer up and prepare to sue. They need to 100% prove the suspension caused failure. I've been through this with a client and a Z06. I can recite the entire story
I talked to a couple lawyer friends but apparently it's not so clear in Canada when it comes to proving a part caused a failure. This is just what I've heard.

Also, they'll probably say something dumb like the DSC controller caused the car to pull more Gs than designed for which caused oil issues which is complete crap since that's the same as stock since it's using the stock suspension hardware. I wonder what they would have said if I had Cup 2s on at the time or something. They'd just that as a lame excuse to wiggle their way out of it.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:05 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 293 Likes on 201 Posts

You told them this happened on the track?
Sorry, but sounds like (edited because it wasn't nice) .....

Last edited by 911 Rod; 10-29-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:16 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,617 Likes on 776 Posts

Have sympathy for predicament OP faced...however, it's always the case that tracking (as opposed to untimed DEs) and modding come with risk. If you're a repeat buying customer and frequent the service bays, you might get some slack cut for a track failure but counting on it would be unwise.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
Yeah basically. They can easily claim that even though the suspension still operates within stock parameters (since it is all stock hardware for the actual suspension).

Just a really expensive lesson learned and hopefully someone can learn from my post and save themselves $20k.
yeah dont get me wrong , i think thy are being dicks,, just trying to figure out what possible thing they could say...
Old 10-29-2020, 05:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i would think Porsche denying warranty for track use would be an unmitigated disaster for the Marketing dept.
because what they are actually telling you is " we are only selling you a status symbol. nothing more "
Modding on the other hand, you give them legal wiggle room .
Old 10-29-2020, 05:49 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
You told them this happened on the track?
Sorry, but sounds like (edited because it wasn't nice) .....
The car got towed directly from the track since it wasn't drivable at all. So yeah, they knew.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:51 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Have sympathy for predicament OP faced...however, it's always the case that tracking (as opposed to untimed DEs) and modding come with risk. If you're a repeat buying customer and frequent the service bays, you might get some slack cut for a track failure but counting on it would be unwise.
Yup totally understand. It's the name of the game. I think a lot of the frustration just comes form how PCNT and Porsche Canada treated the whole situation. As soon as the car was at Downtown Porsche, I had a great experience working with them.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

all this aside did you find out what actually happened to the motor ? because we all know there story is BS.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:31 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 95 Posts

I hope after this absolute fisting that you at least have a $25k Porsche engine coffee table in the basement to show for your efforts. Did you keep the engine or Porsche kept and gave you a core credit?

You seem like you took this fairly nonchalantly. For example, "you talked to some lawyer friends". For $25k I hope you at least looked at it seriously and got real advice from a lawyer you paid that has actual experience resolving big ticket claims against auto manufacturers.

​​
Old 10-30-2020, 02:08 AM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
Why didn't you tow to Hunter and have the stock suspension reinstalled?

Surely it would have cost less than $25k
Sorry to hear!

I would not give up on this!

You should at least engage your sales representative and preferably the sales manager to see if they can help....

My recent experience with PCNT is very good, they are track aware (maybe not all representatives) and offer customer track days!

I traded my tracked GT3RS recently at PCNT, they (both the sales rep and manager) knew about the track time, the Girodiscs and the GMG centre delete I ran but removed before sale.

Also had a GMG cage installed which went with the car.....

Prior to sale the car was not put on diagnostics to check it out, they believed my representations.

You seem to have gotten a really unrepresentative bad deal here, please fight it on all our behalf!

PM me if you would like further information.....
Old 10-30-2020, 08:41 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
Sorry to hear!

I would not give up on this!

You should at least engage your sales representative and preferably the sales manager to see if they can help....

My recent experience with PCNT is very good, they are track aware (maybe not all representatives) and offer customer track days!

I traded my tracked GT3RS recently at PCNT, they (both the sales rep and manager) knew about the track time, the Girodiscs and the GMG centre delete I ran but removed before sale.

Also had a GMG cage installed which went with the car.....

Prior to sale the car was not put on diagnostics to check it out, they believed my representations.

You seem to have gotten a really unrepresentative bad deal here, please fight it on all our behalf!

PM me if you would like further information.....
GT car clients are the most loyal and the group Porsche will protect the most as they are likely to have another P car in the drive and have owned other Pcars.

Quick Reply: Terrible Experience with Engine Replacement Under Warranty