Notices

Covid Non Car Related Projects

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 10:24 AM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Covid Non Car Related Projects

Anyone undertaking any 'interesting' non car related projects during Covid?

I decided to design/build a backyard pool side building with my new found spare time with no commuting or business travel on the calendar.

I attempted to keep things as Canadian as I could. Made in Canada: doors, windows, exterior/interior siding, framing lumber, shelves and 100% Canadian 'free' labour. I have learned through the process that I need some better tools as I only used a 7 1/4" skill saw, 18V cordless drill with a failing battery and a hammer. Top of mind are mitre saw and nail gun, but then again I was in no big rush to get this done.

Cheers.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:07 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

looks nice. great job. You must be very proud every time you see it/use it. how deep is the slab? Too bad you didn't put in a washroom. My pool house has 3 rooms; change room, washroom and a bar with slide down shutters. It was there when I bought my house.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:22 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 538 Likes on 318 Posts

Skip the nail gun...for projects like this I almost always use screws and a good impact driver makes a world of difference. Screws just hold a little better (ignoring shear strength being a bit less which doesn't matter for these sort of jobs) and can come apart easily if you mess up. Mitre saw is a must though for framing, square cuts every time. I'm partial to Dewalt but all the major brands are fairly decent these days.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:03 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbodan
looks nice. great job. You must be very proud every time you see it/use it. how deep is the slab? Too bad you didn't put in a washroom. My pool house has 3 rooms; change room, washroom and a bar with slide down shutters. It was there when I bought my house.
Slab is around 8". I was somewhat limited by the size of the yard/space for a slab. Slab is 8X12 and already pushing it a bit on set back requirements. Inside washroom is pretty close to the back door of the house which will hopefully be sufficient to stop people taking a whiz on the pool :-)
Old 08-04-2020, 12:08 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Skip the nail gun...for projects like this I almost always use screws and a good impact driver makes a world of difference. Screws just hold a little better (ignoring shear strength being a bit less which doesn't matter for these sort of jobs) and can come apart easily if you mess up. Mitre saw is a must though for framing, square cuts every time. I'm partial to Dewalt but all the major brands are fairly decent these days.
I was thinking the nail gun just for the likes of the tongue and groove which arguably took a lot of time hand nailing and 'countersinking' each nail. Planning on picking up a Dewalt 12" sliding mitre this week to start working on basement framing and a couple of other random projects lined up for the next number of months/years. Cheers.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:15 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
I was thinking the nail gun just for the likes of the tongue and groove which arguably took a lot of time hand nailing and 'countersinking' each nail. Planning on picking up a Dewalt 12" sliding mitre this week to start working on basement framing and a couple of other random projects lined up for the next number of months/years. Cheers.
Ahh okay, so more like a brad or finish nailer, not a framing nailer. I probably use my brad nailer more than my finish nailer, it just leaves such a small hole and even less risk of splitting on fine materials. I have one of the Dewalt (actually same as Bostitch) precision point brad nailers, the 'precision point' feature is well worth it.

Also, I recommend the DWS780 out of any of the 12" Dewalt sliders...the XPS light thing is worth every single penny over the less expensive versions.

Good luck with the projects
Old 08-04-2020, 12:16 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 154 Posts

Car related: DIY bumperplugs, $1 each from Lowe's + touch up paintName:  photo529.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  956.8 KB
Old 08-04-2020, 01:06 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Ahh okay, so more like a brad or finish nailer, not a framing nailer. I probably use my brad nailer more than my finish nailer, it just leaves such a small hole and even less risk of splitting on fine materials. I have one of the Dewalt (actually same as Bostitch) precision point brad nailers, the 'precision point' feature is well worth it.

Also, I recommend the DWS780 out of any of the 12" Dewalt sliders...the XPS light thing is worth every single penny over the less expensive versions.

Good luck with the projects
Thanks - I was actually just comparing the Dewalt 779 and 780 and deciding if the light was worth the extra $150.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,048 Likes on 746 Posts

QUOTE=pfitzsim;16821868]Slab is around 8". I was somewhat limited by the size of the yard/space for a slab. Slab is 8X12 and already pushing it a bit on set back requirements. Inside washroom is pretty close to the back door of the house which will hopefully be sufficient to stop people taking a whiz on the pool :-)[/QUOTE]
jesus 8" ? you could land a helicopter on that ... i guess you didn't pour the slab yourself? did you need relief cuts ? im thinking of a slab myself for something, that's why i ask.

I just resurfaced my deck. knocked down a previous railing and bushes which basically trapped moisture that rotted the railing and deck, replaced it with a step down into the garden. ... nothing fancy as i'm much better at rebuilding engines than creating things with wood... engines require no imagination....

this is my newest edition to the family and i absolutely love it.... the ( XR ) ..

My door stop in the background isn't bad either..

Name:  PBebLYW.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  2.61 MB

Last edited by theiceman; 08-04-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:34 PM
Nixin
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Great stuff. So when is the first Rennlist-Canada event being held at your pool? No worries, we will BYOB (and masks too).
Old 08-04-2020, 03:47 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

More importantly your kids are starting off life on the right path....Steelers and Leaf fans!
Old 08-04-2020, 06:49 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Thanks - I was actually just comparing the Dewalt 779 and 780 and deciding if the light was worth the extra $150.
Apparently you can retro fit the light on the 779 for cheaper although I don't know the process with that but the 780 just works out of the box...mine was bang on square too without any adjustments whatsoever. If you can hold off for a sale, you can usually get the stand with it for free. I have the folding (not rolling) one and it's quite nice, very compact when stored but stable when setup and nice to work with.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

My project has been trying to purchase a new home. This has proven very difficult
Old 08-04-2020, 11:03 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
QUOTE=pfitzsim;16821868]Slab is around 8". I was somewhat limited by the size of the yard/space for a slab. Slab is 8X12 and already pushing it a bit on set back requirements. Inside washroom is pretty close to the back door of the house which will hopefully be sufficient to stop people taking a whiz on the pool :-)
jesus 8" ? you could land a helicopter on that ... i guess you didn't pour the slab yourself? did you need relief cuts ? im thinking of a slab myself for something, that's why i ask.

I just resurfaced my deck. knocked down a previous railing and bushes which basically trapped moisture that rotted the railing and deck, replaced it with a step down into the garden. ... nothing fancy as i'm much better at rebuilding engines than creating things with wood... engines require no imagination....

this is my newest edition to the family and i absolutely love it.... the ( XR ) ..

My door stop in the background isn't bad either..

Name:  PBebLYW.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  2.61 MB[/QUOTE]
Correct I didn't pour the slab myself - it was poured by the company that did the pool a little over a year ago. No relief cracks so TBD re cracking. Nothing in the first year though.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:47 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Correct I didn't pour the slab myself - it was poured by the company that did the pool a little over a year ago. No relief cracks so TBD re cracking. Nothing in the first year though.
Most of that cracking occurs in the first month or two as the concrete cures and shrinks a bit. If you haven't had any cracking yet, you're more less out of the woods except for settling long term.

Quick Reply: Covid Non Car Related Projects