Notices

Mosport laptimes for NA 944s

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 04:10 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Mosport laptimes for NA 944s

Not really sure this is the best forum to ask, but what's a good lap time for an NA 944 on street (ie 200 treadwear) tires at Mosport? I'm not overly concerned really with my lap times but I would like to know how far off I am from a respectable time. Currently I can manage around 1:48.0 on RE71Rs.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:24 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Wouldn’t it be cool if there was an app that drivers could run that had their vehicle info, recorded their laps and put all the data in a database that users could search and compare?
Old 06-06-2020, 12:41 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

go to the qualifying of the 944 cup at mosport and compare their times. I think 140 in a NA is probably about right. maybe better if light car on slicks with experienced driver. I recall the guy from Rochester with a widebody 951 did 125s a few years ago...before rolling it in bottom of 4.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:46 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

https://pcaclubracing.org/wp-content...owSprint1.html
most 944s seem around 140 but Mike Malais did a 1.33
Old 06-06-2020, 08:36 AM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Turbodan
https://pcaclubracing.org/wp-content...owSprint1.html
most 944s seem around 140 but Mike Malais did a 1.33
Thanks Danny... how much time do you gain running slicks vs street tires?
Old 06-06-2020, 01:38 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I love looking at those club racing times - it absolutely proves how much more important the driver is than the car. 86 NA 944 coming within .3 seconds of a Cayman S!
Old 06-06-2020, 01:51 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 269 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
I love looking at those club racing times - it absolutely proves how much more important the driver is than the car. 86 NA 944 coming within .3 seconds of a Cayman S!
Are you comparing a stripped down, race prepared car on slicks to a stock car on street tires?

I'm sure a race prepped Cayman like those that run in IMSA would blow the race prepped 944 away without even breaking a sweat.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:45 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do not look at 944 race (cup or other) for a fair lap time for a street car. Some of those cars have more money in them than a GT3, even if they look like they have been beaten within an inch of their lives. The guys running at the front of the pack are all Excellent drivers , for sure, but those cars are hmm , lets call it "tweeked" to another level.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:40 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
Not really sure this is the best forum to ask, but what's a good lap time for an NA 944 on street (ie 200 treadwear) tires at Mosport? I'm not overly concerned really with my lap times but I would like to know how far off I am from a respectable time. Currently I can manage around 1:48.0 on RE71Rs.
I don't know what your experience level is, but that is a very very respectable lap time.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey
Are you comparing a stripped down, race prepared car on slicks to a stock car on street tires?

I'm sure a race prepped Cayman like those that run in IMSA would blow the race prepped 944 away without even breaking a sweat.
All of these cars are race prepped, meaning roll cage and more. Some may still have interior and some way more prepped than others but you are not comparing a street car. Slicks usually saves at least a second over rcomp tires with grooves. Not sure the difference from a street car, there is such a variety of street tires as well.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:14 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Anything under 1:40 is a great time with a 944.
My personal best is a 1:41:6 , but i’ve seen 1:37 a few times from well prepared cars , guessing with fresh R7’s as they can make up to a two second lap time
difference on those cars .

Cheers
Phil
Old 06-09-2020, 11:17 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

You guys are going to put the OP in an unsafe situation with these times.
He is driving a street car with street tires.
Because he is asking here, I'm assuming he is not an advanced driver.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:54 PM
CL944135I
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to agree with Rod. There is a big difference in the SP2 class cars and a stock street 944, don't compare to the front runners for sure, most of those guys have years of experience and are driving these cars at or beyond the limit and have accepted the consequences of doing so, what's your risk level/acceptance. SP2 cars are 300-400lbs lighter than street car, chassis stiffened with a roll cage, full race suspension with monoball joints, most front runners have double adjustable remote reservoirs shocks or at least upgarded shocks and spring rates, lowered 2-3", exhaust and engine tuning, I can keep going on and on, never mind the Hoosier tires at 40 treadwear. I raced these SP2 for a number of years, they are all far from stock, even those with mild builds. They are race cars, even more so than the letter cars in PCA. Also, street or track brake pads? We don't brake much but when we do, you do need to slow down.
In my experience as an instructor I would say is get some in car video, as it will be unlikely to get an instructor for a while and show it to an instructor or racer, preferably one that has raced these cars and get pointers from them. If you are driving with PCA this year, PM me and I would be more than happy to give you pointers from video at the next event. I don't have a comparison lap for a street 944 but, I'd say they aren't bad times for a street car. If you want a comparison on time, I'd more recommend looking at lap times from Champ car/Chump car and compare to those times. They are on similar treadwear tires and are not nearly as prepped but still not stock.

IMO, in a street 944 DON"T LOOK AT YOUR LAP TIMES, you will get frustrated when talking to other drivers that are relying on horsepower not skill. Drive the car for fun, they are incredible learning tools and will make you better in any car in the future but you are not going to set any lap records with them. Momentum, momentum, momentum. The 944 will teach you that and you will become a better driver than anyone that starts with a fast car relying on drivers aids.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:52 AM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all,

To be clear I'm not overly concerned with lap times, I've got a couple years of track driving under my belt and only this year decided to time myself. The 944 is a track prepped car, but nowhere near SP2 levels. Its street legal, although I only drive it to and from the track. I'm primarily looking to get as much as I can from the car and trying to understand how to find the limits of grip. I look at lap times as just another data point. I wish I had some video to share, but all my GoPro video is so over-exposed its hard to see where I am on track.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:27 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
Thanks all,

To be clear I'm not overly concerned with lap times, I've got a couple years of track driving under my belt and only this year decided to time myself. The 944 is a track prepped car, but nowhere near SP2 levels. Its street legal, although I only drive it to and from the track. I'm primarily looking to get as much as I can from the car and trying to understand how to find the limits of grip. I look at lap times as just another data point. I wish I had some video to share, but all my GoPro video is so over-exposed its hard to see where I am on track.
Turn on the spot meter function in the GoPro advanced / pro options menu 👍

Quick Reply: Mosport laptimes for NA 944s