Notices

carfax clarification - auction accident repair?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 02:20 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 604 Likes on 357 Posts
Default carfax clarification - auction accident repair?

hi guys

i have a question, a friend is looking at a car in ottawa, i looked over the carFax and noticed something that i am not sure if it passes the smell test or not.

any one of you experts know what is meant by

"AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS ACCIDENT REPAIR" ?

based on the data, the car was from lexus gabriel and eventually was re-sold and serviced at at lexus tony graham (ottawa) - passed CPO inspection test (i am aware re the true real world value of this - if any).

car is low milage, had one 6k underCarriage claim when the car was a year old, and the Accident auction entry mentioned above is 3 years after the said accident (presuming when the first owner sold it or traded it in).

the current seller cant really give clarification on as it happened before the car was purchased by him. He seems to be cool and honest - so i dont want to disclose too much more publicly to hurt his sale either (if my friend passes on the car).

thanks in advance to you pros here.

Last edited by myw; 05-27-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 545 Posts

Your friend needs to get a detailed PPI, including paint meter readings and structural inspection.

I believe that flag means the car was involved in a right off, but not bad enough to make the car non-rebuildable.
The following users liked this post:
myw (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 03:52 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

thank you adam - if its at that level of damage , thats a 100% hard pass.

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
I believe that flag means the car was involved in a right off, but not bad enough to make the car non-rebuildable.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:46 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 55 Posts

Sometimes an accident is not covered by insurance and therefore not reported through normal channels & car is disposed by owner via auction. The auction may report the vehicle as having accident damage to protect themselves from liability in the future. (At least this can happen in the West but I am not sure what verbiage would appear on Carfax).

If it is a reputable auction house, often if you google the VIN you can find an archive of the auction listing & pictures for deeper review.
The following users liked this post:
myw (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 07:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Freakhead
If it is a reputable auction house, often if you google the VIN you can find an archive of the auction listing & pictures for deeper review.
genius TY!

Quick Reply: carfax clarification - auction accident repair?