Notices

Question regarding 991.2 X51 kit for Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 07:40 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Question regarding 991.2 X51 kit for Canada

Hello neighbors, can anyone tell me if the 991.2 X51 is still available for purchase/install in Canada? It’s not as straightforward as it seems as some parts places will SAY it’s still available but have not tried to order one in a while so they only find out when they submit the order (ask me how I know). The 991.2 X51 kit was suspended from sale here in the US last March (March of 2019). I heard all sorts of conjecture that it was due to the new models being released, Porsche not wanting to take market away from GTS, blah-blah-blah, etc. It was EXTREMELY difficult to get a straight answer from anyone so I escalated to Porsche North America. They ultimately got back to me and said it was emissions related & that the kit needed to be re-certified (this is consistent with US GTS owners getting a notice last year that their MPG estimates on their window stickers were inaccurate & an official updated estimate was provided - it was only a 1MPG adjustment!). Porsche North America said they ARE going to recertify & release for sale again in the US but it was a low priority and was anybody’s guess as to when. This seems to be related to the EPA still being upset over the the Volkswagen’s “dieselgate” fiasco and subsequent additional scrutiny. Can anyone confirm (ESPECIALLY if you have had one ordered/installed since March of 2019, that would be pretty definitive)? My concern is that parts places don’t seem to actually KNOW until the order is actually placed. Sorry for the long post, insight is appreciated. Thank you!
-Dom
Old 05-25-2020, 03:34 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

No one knows, I guess?

Quick Reply: Question regarding 991.2 X51 kit for Canada