Notices

Lets change the narrative .. Track Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 07:48 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Does it say "Intelligent Sidewall Technology" on top of the sidewall, just before the threads start? Now that's ironic isn't it?
Look at the tread vs sidewall. Discoloration. Looks like two different compounds.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:44 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

I had some delamination on Michelin PSSs and was told by Michelin that it was due to track use (unintended use) and not under warrantee.

As far as different compounds go, I think this is normal tire manufacturing process. I’m sure I read that Michelin uses different compound in the same time.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:33 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Look at the tread vs sidewall. Discoloration. Looks like two different compounds.
Check out YouTube on how tires are made and you will see that they bond the thread part onto the blank tire.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:01 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 305 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
That purplish colour is normal from track use.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:23 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

There are a lot of chinese knockoffs on the market ... the shop that installs my race tires and all my tires for that matter now refuses to install anything that wasn’t
purchased in house. Their tech told me they had customers come in with “ cheap “ online tires , only to spend an hour trying to balance them in every possible way with
no luck and then losing their time only to tell the customer that they can’t do anything with their tires.

This Winter , they even had people come in with “ online “ Winter tires which out of four , three had the snow flake symbol stamped on them and one didn’t have it ...
Same brand chinese tires !
Recently bought four tires for my son’s BMW and looking online they had Rotalla and Maxtrek 245/40/19 tires selling for $106.00 dollars a piece , obviously we didn’t buy those , but rather Bridgestones from my dealer.

Surprising though that Amazon wouldn’t honor a Nokian warranty ... we have those on all our Winter vehicles and they have a great road hazard warranty !
Old 05-15-2020, 08:38 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

While I can't speak for buying tires online (other than from TireRack once) I don't think all "Made in China" tires are bad. You'll definitely get some odd ***** for sure.

Colleague of mine has been running Chinese made/Chinese brand winter tires on his Subaru STI, wife's VW Rabbit, parents' Toyota Camry, and sister's RAV4 for years without any issues. I'd say they come out top compared to Michelin and Bridgestone winters!
Old 05-15-2020, 11:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

sumatomo ??/ are on my sons audi for winters and he loves them.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:32 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theiceman
sumatomo ??/ are on my sons audi for winters and he loves them.
Sumitomo isn't a Chinese brand, nor are their tires made in China. They're a Japanese rubber company with a stake in Dunlop and Falken Tire Japan. All in all, they make budget friendly tires where a lot of Porsche owners have had positive experiences with them (I personally don't know anyone who dislikes them.) Their American distributor, TBC Corporation, is partly owned by Michelin (50% stake.) Is there some intellectual property and manufacturing methods shared? It's possible, but I don't know for sure.

As for the weird Chinese branded winter tires my colleague runs, they're straight up made in China and Chinese branded haha
Old 05-16-2020, 12:34 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

An appraiser I know who deals with a lot of write offs told me the Chinese tires have nylon in them which slides and a lot of written off cars have Chinese tires on them. Not trying to be racist, as our political system would claim, just stating facts. Too bad our political leaders worry too much about offending anybody than protecting our citizens. Sorry rant over
Old 05-16-2020, 01:13 AM
triggz82
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Sumitomo isn't a Chinese brand, nor are their tires made in China. They're a Japanese rubber company with a stake in Dunlop and Falken Tire Japan. All in all, they make budget friendly tires where a lot of Porsche owners have had positive experiences with them (I personally don't know anyone who dislikes them.) Their American distributor, TBC Corporation, is partly owned by Michelin (50% stake.) Is there some intellectual property and manufacturing methods shared? It's possible, but I don't know for sure.

As for the weird Chinese branded winter tires my colleague runs, they're straight up made in China and Chinese branded haha
I was surprised so many porsche owners run sumitumo when searching for tire options. They seem on the lower end of brands (as in under falken and dunlop).
Old 05-16-2020, 11:23 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Surprisingly (sort of?) I did a search on the Sumitomo tires, and the font on the sidewall is exactly the same as the Dunlop Direzza DZ102 tires I just sold yesterday. It looks like Sumitomo is the parent company/manufacturer of Dunlop and Falken, so perhaps they don't to cannibalize their revenues from Dunlop and Falken. Regardless, I think as consumers, we just have to be careful and do our own homework on what the bees knees is, and what to avoid like the plagued. As the saying goes, Buyer Beware!
Old 05-18-2020, 12:10 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

The sumitomo htrz3s were very good. I prefer them to the pzeros that were previously on my car. but they no longer make those and the replacement has gotten terrible reviews. So I would not go with the new ones...nor chinese at this time.

Quick Reply: Lets change the narrative .. Track Tires