Notices

OT-Cottage and Covid

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 11:58 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 164 Posts
Default OT-Cottage and Covid

So, we have followed the Premier's recommendations and have not been to the cottage. Last time there was late January. We are hearing from our full time neighbours that lot's of people are now coming up (including their immediate neighbours).

This year is our 20th year anniversary with the cottage. I was 30 when we bought the cottage and we treat it like our home whereas our Toronto house is just that, a house. We have a lot of spring cleaning to do, especially since we have not been there since January. We are really missing it. I will not be putting our runabout boat this year. Based on the trend, we will not be entertaining which really means no skiing, tubing, rides to town etc. I will be fine with my trusty fishing boat....

There doesn't seem to be any plan forthcoming with respect to cottagers only "Don't go" yet the highways are packed on Friday nights.

For those of you with cottages or living in cottage country, what is your opinion?
Old 05-04-2020, 12:12 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Cottagers around Halliburton and Bancroft are coming out, even with a ATV trails closed and complete fire bans on doesn't seem to be anyone listening. I know many cottagers also rent out there cottages and I believe people are still doing it. Many people who I talked to think there is no problem out in remote areas so they are doing what they want. This past weekend I must have counted 50 bikers going by out in groups doing drives. Then the ATV's and dirt bikers on the trail.

I'd say if you have a cottage you might as well go to it. Just bring your booze, food and stay at the cottage and don't go out into town for shopping. Also note that gas stations bathrooms are not available and public parks are closed so no bath room breaks.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:49 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

We're on Six Mile Lake just under 1.5 h door to door, this past weekend was our second time up since ski season. We fuel up at home, pack food and beverages and send the girls to the bathroom before heading out so its a nonstop trip. There is far less human interaction at the cottage than in the city and if someone were to become ill its a quick trip back home. The benefit for the family to get outside, work on projects and give the dog a good run is huge. That being said it will be awhile before the boat goes in the water, our lake is part of the Trent system so we see a 3' drop in water level for the winter, normally it would of been up a few weeks ago but its still down 12"-14",
Old 05-04-2020, 05:43 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

We came up to the lake (Grand Bend) with another family just as everything shut down - we were already planning to come for March break, and just ended up staying. I've been back home twice to pick stuff up, with no interaction with people there aside from one stop at the vitamin store. I can tell you the overall vibe here is WAY less stressed than back home. No wait at the grocery store. Between curbside pickup at home hardware/canadian tire and amazon, I'm getting tons of little low-priority projects done on the house. Lots of fresh air for the kids, the dogs are in heaven, empty roads for the 911 to stretch her legs, and overall slower pace of life. I'm very thankful we have this place right now. And I've never seen this many people up here at a time, aside from long weekends, so apparently everybody's thinking the same thing.

I think if you're going to stay long-term and aren't going back and forth, it's fine. It's the back and forth that they're trying to keep down, which makes sense.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:12 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Muskoka here. Went up for a couple of hours last Saturday. There are LOTS of cottagers up there. Even the Mayors are starting to say just bring everything you need and don't go to town. Some Locals are asking people to come to town and spend some money. They rely on seasonal visitors. Will probably go up for long weekend and Kids will stay for the season. Re above..Nothing wrong with water skiing or boating etc....
Old 05-08-2020, 12:51 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Consider yourself lucky if (a) you have a cottage and more importantly, it’s in Ontario ! We’re very fortunate to have a cottage that’s under an hour away across the provincial border in Quebec. Sadly, the Gatineau police are stopping people at the border and turning them around if not travelling for essential purposes. It certainly helps that the weather is not ideal for enjoying a very rustic log cabin by a lake. That said, I’ve enjoyed our place for over 50 years (was purchased in 1957 by my grandfather) and it’s quite literally my most fav place on the planet ... sadly, between the road blocks and the local “covigilantes” at the lake, being able to spend quality time there ain’t gonna happen until the militant QC govt loosens the travel restrictions. Even our Mayor is suggesting don’t travel to Cottages until after the May 24 weekend.

Last edited by Stevelev; 05-08-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:56 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

^Yea thats a fact........loved all the stories of people in Ontario being turned around and fined for unnecessary travel. Never happened but so many people were convinced it did. Urban myth...hilarious.
The following users liked this post:
dml (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 01:50 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
^Yea thats a fact........loved all the stories of people in Ontario being turned around and fined for unnecessary travel. Never happened but so many people were convinced it did. Urban myth...hilarious.
I actually know of someone who did get a ticket on the QC side but not of anyone in Ontario but they’re definitely turning peeps around at the Ont/ QC border.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:48 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

My parents live in Mont Tremblant and yes, there were roadblocks preventing persons whos primary residence was not in the area from entering. People who lived in Montreal could not get to Tremblant.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:57 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I've heard stories of people going to QC, getting turned around and then trying to find a way around the checkpoint. Ended up with a ~$5k ticket.

I'm staying down in the city. Would love to isolate up at the cottage, but for a variety of reasons, just not going to do it.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:06 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

To top it off, Ford, while urging people not to go to there cottages went to his around Easter. Not sure if if it was just before or just after Easter but near then. Classic case of do as I say not as I do! What a hypocrite!
Old 05-09-2020, 09:57 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2RedPorsche
To top it off, Ford, while urging people not to go to there cottages went to his around Easter. Not sure if if it was just before or just after Easter but near then. Classic case of do as I say not as I do! What a hypocrite!
Just like our PM
The following users liked this post:
Pags993 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 09:33 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 2RedPorsche
Ford drove up on his own, checked the cottage and went home.
Trudeau went to the cottage across provincial borders with his entire security detail for the weekend. Easily a half dozen guys and vehicles.

But while not a cottage owner myself, I don't agree with denying access to property that you bought and paid for and pay taxes on.
If your denied access, should you not be offered a tax break then?
Locals say stay away while enjoying some of the very facilities and services that those taxes provide.
"bring your own supplies". Fine with that but don't be surprised if they continue to do so after the restrictions end.
Then they'll be begging them to buy locally up north as they need the tourism dollars. Damned if you do & damned if you don't.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:45 AM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Ford drove up on his own, checked the cottage and went home.
Trudeau went to the cottage across provincial borders with his entire security detail for the weekend.
Thats correct Will but it's the timing of Ford's little trip that is so annoying. He went weeks ago, well before any talk of starting to relax the rules and only admitted to going because somebody outed him and he had to!
And yes, you're perfectly correct about our PM, that's a whole other story!
Old 05-10-2020, 11:44 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

won't be going up to Lake Muskoka on Victoria Day weekend.... Will likely go up for a few days in the beginning of June, but it will likely be spent working on openning it up for the summer...

Quick Reply: OT-Cottage and Covid