Notices

When your cable breaks just before you hit the HWY !

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 03:52 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelvin38
The latter half of my comment was in reference to parting ways with the short shifter and replacing it with the Numeric Racing assembly. You're correct to say that the cables can be used in a standard stock shifter or the oem short shifter assemby.
Thanks for the clarification Kelvin.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:54 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by danio
From experience, the Numeric cables are MUCH louder in 987 Cayman's than they are in 997's. I had both my 987 and 997 cables snap in cold fall weather, and replaced both with Numeric cables. I couldn't deal with the noises in the Cayman, and ended up buying new OEM cables, and selling the Numeric cables. However, in the 997, they were one of the best mods i ever did.
I guess I have to see these Numeric cables in person. I can’t image how a cable would change noise levels, unless installed incorrectly and rubbing on something.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I would have found a way to get the transmission in 2nd or 3rd and then just drive it home or the dealer. You should find why it popped out before deciding to do an "upgrade".
they snap often. on caymans there has been many documented that they snap multiple times while under their 80,000km warranty period.

once they snap you cant change gears, i limped it home in 3rd gear when it happened to me. luckily i was about a km away from home. even luckier, it was the day (or 2) after i got home from the hershey run.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:27 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

when did these new revised oem shift cables come out?

Originally Posted by ekam
The shift cables on all 987.2 were defective and they simply snap instead of popping out. I had mine replaced within the month I got the car knowing immediately that shifting was super sloppy compare to my 986. For the longest time Numeric was the only option but the new/revised OEM cables along with additional brackets are available now also.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:48 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
when did these new revised oem shift cables come out?
Don't know exactly when, but I installed them last year.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/987SCAB.html
Old 03-24-2020, 06:32 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 221 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
Why would you have to part with a short shifter to use a different cable? Do you have to use Numerics shifter with their cables? I thought the cables could be used with the stock shifter (which is the same ends as the short shifters).
No you can use our cables on the stock shifter! Our shifter is just much much better

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
The following users liked this post:
Abe Evrens (03-29-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 09:28 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by danio
From experience, the Numeric cables are MUCH louder in 987 Cayman's than they are in 997's. I had both my 987 and 997 cables snap in cold fall weather, and replaced both with Numeric cables. I couldn't deal with the noises in the Cayman, and ended up buying new OEM cables, and selling the Numeric cables. However, in the 997, they were one of the best mods i ever did.
Rubber hose over the cables in the engine bay.
The following users liked this post:
Numeric Racing (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 10:54 PM
Abe Evrens
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts

Just got the car back today so I presume I have the new and improved cables ? Downtown Porsche Toronto did the job ... anyway it was covered under CPO so no worries ... glad it happened now than after. I love the short shifter - big difference from the 07 Boxster S 6spd I had in past. Very noticeable ...
Old 03-26-2020, 11:11 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
...once they snap you cant change gears, ....
If you use your hands to move the gear selector arm on the transmission in the proper gear (2nd or maybe 3rd) then you can limp home with it. In my college years when my car was truly a real POS I had to do this once. The other time had to limp home when the clutch cable snapped. That was fun too.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:59 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

The only bummer with the Numeric cables is you will have to adjust them again a few weeks after installing.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:06 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 221 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
The only bummer with the Numeric cables is you will have to adjust them again a few weeks after installing.
This is the first we have heard of this...
Old 03-27-2020, 03:40 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Abe Evrens
Just got the car back today so I presume I have the new and improved cables ? Downtown Porsche Toronto did the job ... anyway it was covered under CPO so no worries ... glad it happened now than after. I love the short shifter - big difference from the 07 Boxster S 6spd I had in past. Very noticeable ...
you should check the part number as it should show the superseded new part number.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:27 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
This is the first we have heard of this...
What can I say people are picky and problems might exist in their heads. Last 2 sets I've done one guy was complaining about the "unberable" noise and notchy feeling. You know how it can be sometimes. I personally feel they are perhaps one of the best upgrades to make
Old 03-28-2020, 08:44 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

if the cables are adjusted properly (length wise so that the neutral position of the shifter is pointing up) , followed by fighting the nuts to lock the length permanently, these issues shouldn't occur.

i had a poor shop install the cables half assed, where the neutral position wasn't even pointing up, nor were the locking nuts tightened (causing rattle noises). If installed properly with these 2 things taken care of, i cant see what other problems there are.

Originally Posted by Gregster
What can I say people are picky and problems might exist in their heads. Last 2 sets I've done one guy was complaining about the "unberable" noise and notchy feeling. You know how it can be sometimes. I personally feel they are perhaps one of the best upgrades to make

Quick Reply: When your cable breaks just before you hit the HWY !