Notices

Any vancouverites avoided paying 20% sales tax on cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 04:13 PM
Lemarp
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
I understand that but they should've targeted cars > 300k then. They want 25% on cars over 150k CAD that's around 115k USD.

I just feel like Canada, especially BC is turning into communist province. They punish hard working people so they can give money out to hobos. It is turning into the most backward country.
It has always been like that sadly but you're right, it's becoming more and more apparent.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:36 PM
Performante
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Basically the amount of money I saved from paying the tax in BC I bought a condo in Calgary and got myself a Alberta ID. I send my car out there during the winter to have it serviced and stored by my dealer, Spring comes around I drive it around Calgary before shipping it to Vancouver.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:52 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Performante
Basically the amount of money I saved from paying the tax in BC I bought a condo in Calgary and got myself a Alberta ID. I send my car out there during the winter to have it serviced and stored by my dealer, Spring comes around I drive it around Calgary before shipping it to Vancouver.
Thanks for the feedback. What do you think is better.

1) Buy a garage in Blaine Washington and store car there. Pay 8.5% tax but no need to deal with importation bullsh*t (assuming car I want is in US)

2) Buy a place in Calgary and store car there. Pay 5% GST but deal with importation bullsh*t.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:05 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 515 Likes on 328 Posts

Why don't you want to pay 20% tax? The money goes to poor people.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:38 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ekam
Why don't you want to pay 20% tax? The money goes to poor people.
Yes! I love donating money to hobos!
Old 01-31-2020, 09:28 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
How would they ever know where it's primarily used? Unless you're getting a lot of tickets and they're logging your plate # that way, I don't see how they could tell.
As already stated by another poster it would be thru border crossings.

I once crossed the border two days in a row (both for golf).

The Canadian border guy accused me of having mechanical work done in WA because I crossed two days in a row with the same car ?????

Spend a bunch of time looking over my car and the tires.

Also in BC we have government insurance so if you are involved in a couple of accidents they may query how often you are in BC and tie it back to border crossing records and tie that back to PST.

Big brother .............
Old 02-01-2020, 12:29 AM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts

Buy a place in Calgary and store car there.
That's not a good idea. They only thing real estate does in Alberta right now is depreciate. Unless you want to hold it for 30 years. You might make a buck that way.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:11 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

How about setting up a cheap basic numbered company in Alberta (no provincial sales tax) and have it buy a $225,000 GT3 as your company car. Let the Alberta insurance company know that the car will be spending extended time being driven in Vancouver and pay what ever premium is applicable for the extra risk for big city driving. After a few months of driving on an Alberta plate have the numbered company sell the car to you for $119,000 to get under the price point of the extra tax and register in BC.

Does anybody think this will work?
Old 02-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jennifer911
How about setting up a cheap basic numbered company in Alberta (no provincial sales tax) and have it buy a $225,000 GT3 as your company car. Let the Alberta insurance company know that the car will be spending extended time being driven in Vancouver and pay what ever premium is applicable for the extra risk for big city driving. After a few months of driving on an Alberta plate have the numbered company sell the car to you for $119,000 to get under the price point of the extra tax and register in BC.

Does anybody think this will work?

doesnt work. Icbc tracks cases where there is a discrepancy between sold value vs market value and sends a letter requesting the difference in tax.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:55 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by red996
That's not a good idea. They only thing real estate does in Alberta right now is depreciate. Unless you want to hold it for 30 years. You might make a buck that way.
what do u think about buying a vancouver real estate now? I just bought a small condo. Wonder if I made a good decision.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:09 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 515 Likes on 328 Posts

doesnt work. Icbc tracks cases where there is a discrepancy between sold value vs market value and sends a letter requesting the difference in tax.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:03 PM
Performante
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

You can't go wrong with RE in Vancouver. Luxury homes have fallen, good time if you're in the market for a $3m+ home but on the lower end the prices have started to stabilize. Vancouver RE market never has a hard crash, it'll decline but the demand always brings it back up. The thing with condos especially in the DT core is rental vacancy remains low which means rent remains high. The rent situation isn't going to change, 25% down requirements means a lot of buyers can't qualify which means they have to rent plus inventory remains low. There's also good deals to be had on condo pre-sales if you want to invest for long term.

In regards to registering the car, there's pros and cons for both. The only thing about registering in Alberta is the hassle of transporting your car especially if it's expensive and/or an exotic which can be a pain especially in the winter months. The pro would be you're registering in Canada, you've paid your taxes, you have Canadian insurance/plates so you can freely drive the car without the hassle of dealing with a US plated car and US insurance.

As long you own a property or rent in Alberta, follow the rules, have an Alberta ID, paid the tax in Alberta, the tax man can't do anything. One word of caution though, some insurance companies will ask to fit a GPS device especially on high end vehicles so if anything were to happen they can find out how long the car has remained in the Province.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:08 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Performante

In regards to registering the car, there's pros and cons for both. The only thing about registering in Alberta is the hassle of transporting your car especially if it's expensive and/or an exotic which can be a pain especially in the winter months. The pro would be you're registering in Canada, you've paid your taxes, you have Canadian insurance/plates so you can freely drive the car without the hassle of dealing with a US plated car and US insurance.

As long you own a property or rent in Alberta, follow the rules, have an Alberta ID, paid the tax in Alberta, the tax man can't do anything. One word of caution though, some insurance companies will ask to fit a GPS device especially on high end vehicles so if anything were to happen they can find out how long the car has remained in the Province.
Problem is I am US based at the moment. Pay tax to US and I dont want to deal with the hassle of importing car. Do you think placing car in Point Robert WA makes sense? Problem is if they want pst, it would be hard to prove that i used the car primarily in point roberts lol.

Quick Reply: Any vancouverites avoided paying 20% sales tax on cars?