Notices

New Build and Negotiation

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 12:00 AM
2020BoxsterT
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Build and Negotiation

Hi there. New to the forum and enjoy reading all the threads.

I live in Alberta and looking to order a car. I have given the build to the dealer but they will not get an allotment for a few months. I may also be looking for European Delivery.

The dealer told me European Delivery is a lottery for Canada and I may not get. Does this sound right? I know dealers pay for this so it is in their interest to not give to me.

As well, I asked about price discounts off of MSRP (still early stages and no allotment yet) and I was told if I want European Delivery would not get any price discount and even without European Delivery I could maybe give be a credit for maintenance or some Porsche swag but not a meaningful discount. Does this sound right? Sounds like little desire to negotiate off of MSRP.

Do you know if dealers in Canada will compete against each other on a a new build and actually give a discount off of MSRP? I know Mercedes for instance will not deal with you if there is a dealer in your city was they to not want to compete so they can all keep their margins up.

Appreciate your insights as this is my first Porsche purchase. Excited.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:34 AM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 123 Posts

I have done a euro delivery with a Boxster S and a Macan S with Pfaff Toronto, very easy!

It is a fantastic experience!

Both were new models bought site unseen so I was able to get a summer Euro slot, but no joy on much of a discount.....

Apparently with the Taycan launch last year Euro deliveries were messed up, and may still be

Downtown in Toronto have been much better on price but not with a Euro delivery.

Recently picked up a .2 GT3 at Pfaff at a good price in December, I have heard that Canada was struggling to make their 2019 number

Bottom line, shop around, you can buy in Toronto, do a Euro delivery, and the car can be shipped to Alberta.

I was told the Euro delivery costs the dealer C$2500, so there should be some wiggle room, Boxster numbers are low.....

Good luck
Old 01-11-2020, 07:42 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I have done this a few times. Never heard of a lottery for Euro. Chance of discount is zero. Experience is priceless. Tracked every car there.
You get to take the car you specced to your own liking on the autobahn. Nice delivery experience too.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:53 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

Euro delivery should be a simple task with the only question being availability to match your desired date.

However you may not get a MSRP discount with ED.

If it's a non GT or special car (speedster, Spyder) you should get a discount of some sort, this also varies by dealer. I got a good discount (for a Porsche I think) on an ordered 19 Cayenne. Discounts don't seem to be like the US.

As somebody else said, shop around. Don't have to buy in Alberta. Cars from here get trucked around the country. Also had a Quebec dealer keen to close a deal and ship a car.

Also different dealers will have different allocation quantities and dates. Based on their sales.

I think last year there were posts about about Alberta dealers hurting and looking for business with the economy issues there. Not what is used to be with oil patch wallets.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:26 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020BoxsterT
Hi there. New to the forum and enjoy reading all the threads.

I live in Alberta and looking to order a car. I have given the build to the dealer but they will not get an allotment for a few months. I may also be looking for European Delivery.

The dealer told me European Delivery is a lottery for Canada and I may not get. Does this sound right? I know dealers pay for this so it is in their interest to not give to me.

As well, I asked about price discounts off of MSRP (still early stages and no allotment yet) and I was told if I want European Delivery would not get any price discount and even without European Delivery I could maybe give be a credit for maintenance or some Porsche swag but not a meaningful discount. Does this sound right? Sounds like little desire to negotiate off of MSRP.

Do you know if dealers in Canada will compete against each other on a a new build and actually give a discount off of MSRP? I know Mercedes for instance will not deal with you if there is a dealer in your city was they to not want to compete so they can all keep their margins up.

Appreciate your insights as this is my first Porsche purchase. Excited.
All depends on what vehicle you're looking to order. Allocations for Macans and Cayennes look VERY different than for a GT4 or a Boxster Spyder. I have European Delivery of a 992 C4 in April.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:12 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm doing it this summer with a 992. Euro delivery is now a $3,500 charge to the dealer. I didn't realize at first but it includes one night stay in a hotel as well as lunch at the museum. No discounts on 992.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:26 PM
2020BoxsterT
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in 2020 I was planning to buy a BoxsterT, I ended up be practical and buying a Macan (yes boo to me), but now I am about to order a 2024 Boxster GTS 4.0. They have offered me a May 2024 build and ED in July.

The dealer has told me that effective this year Porsche Canada is now charging $3,000 if I want to do ED. Has anyone hear of this? Is it worth the cost? I guess it is a priceless experience but seems to be a money grab.

On the car itself I have asked about a discount given I bought the Porsche Macan a couple of years ago from them, but they are telling me sorry no discounts. Also to expect at least $3k in fees above what the configurator is spitting out.

Thoughts? It does not seem I can any negotiating power here, but curious to know what others recent experience may be! Thanks.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:59 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 455 Posts

One of the benefits of Euro delivery is that the car is insured by Porsche for your stay ( up to 3 weeks I think) and that is included in the price.
I could not get it last year for my 992RS as the slots were all booked out so it is a bit of a lottery.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:11 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 123 Posts

Congratulations on the allocation!

If you go back to the 2020 answers to your 2020 post, there were no discounts then and surely not today!

Euro delivery is a very well run program with real costs and it is not surprising it is charged for......

I did get two Euro deliveries at "no cost" which was policy when purchased.....

After 15 P cars purchased, 13 in Canada, I have not ever received a "discount" and in fact did pay a 50K uplift for a 991.2GT3 RS, which I did with full knowledge and wad glad to get that car.....

Some day economics may sway in the purchaser's favour, but I would be very happy with the allocation and costs for Euro delivery, if you want to do that this summer...

Not to defend the dealers, but take a look around and look at the overhead of running a dealership today, it is pretty high....

Many dealerships in Canada are now run by public companies which do have a duty to max shareholder value, you can buy shares in them if you wish.

What you do get with Porsche is cars that rarely (never in my experience) break, always put a smile on your face, and generally retain value (at least the sports cars).

I would take that Boxsrer T and be glad I got it!

Let us know about your trip if you do!!

YMMV

Old 02-11-2024, 04:18 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 455 Posts

I never got a discount either but no premiums as it happens over 7 cars.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:53 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

I actually got a discount on my factory order 991.1 GTS (ordered in late 2014) but those days have long since passed. Now count yourself lucky if you can get an allocation.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:45 AM
Dannyboy911
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I recieved discounts on both my 21 Macan and 23 992. They weren't much, but it definitely felt like a win in my books.
Never hurts to ask, especially if you've purchased multiple cars
The following users liked this post:
Rubystar (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 07:17 AM
Greg981
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
I actually got a discount on my factory order 991.1 GTS (ordered in late 2014) but those days have long since passed. Now count yourself lucky if you can get an allocation.
The good old days. I got 5% off my factory ordered 981 in 2015.

Quick Reply: New Build and Negotiation