Notices

OT - exterior masonry recs

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts
Default OT - exterior masonry recs

Thanks in advance for ideas from contractors/designers here (or homeowners in the know).

New home build, we've decided to do a stone look instead of brick.

This is not cost-no-object, but looking for something that will look nice and not too 'fake'.

Techno Block, Permacon, etc. - thoughts on these brands, and what to look out for?

We'll probably go with shades on the grey/black scale, ideally with varied surface texture.

Appreciate ideas and suggestions. Modified Georgian style home...

Cheers

Matt
Old 09-03-2019, 09:35 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

I would get in touch with Masonry Group : Jason the Mason. Old school workmanship and modern knowledge of applications that are built to last.

My neighborhood is littered with homes that chose to use the latest designer cultured stone / manufactured stone options and they have not aged well at all and many are also in need of full replacement. It's critical to choose the right manufacturer and installation quality is just as important as the stone itself.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:24 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 167 Posts

Talk to David at CGL
Old 09-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Price real stone. You might be surprised.

House wasn't complete when the photos were taken but it was close. 4 types of stone mixed randomly.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Oh if you want real stone/brick you'll need a thicker foundation to support the depth and weight of the facade.

If you want to save $ long term insulate the hell out of it. I have R40 walls, R60 roof, R9 triple pane fiberglass windows with low e gas and coatings to allow heat transmission in cooler months. Longer eaves keep the sun off the windows and heat entering during the day in the summer.
Insulated slab which is also heated.

I'd strongly recommend not being your own GC. Hire a pro to run the job as a construction management job. You pay them a flat fee.

I built my house in 2015/16 and Santi just finished his using the same guy to design the house, manage the construction and hire and coordinate the trades - his trades he's vetted over the years.
How do you know what's a good price? No surcharge for changes. Just cost. We saw all the invoices from the subtrades.
In the end I believe I saved $ plus untold aggravation hiring them.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks Chris and everyone for the good tips. Anyone else have first hand experience with either Permacon or Techno Bloc?

Cheers

Matt

Quick Reply: OT - exterior masonry recs