Notices

Taycan new 'Ring lap vid..stunning!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Taycan new 'Ring lap vid..stunning!!

Old 08-26-2019, 12:38 PM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bet that it can pull that off until the battery runs empty. Eat that Tesla.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:35 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

It looks very flat in the corners and really smooth through the karussell. No doubt the air suspension and pdcc working well here. Fast and smooth, it should be a fantastic gt/daily driver. I'd even consider to add the Burmester audio.

Ronan, are you going to order one?
Old 08-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Loess
It looks very flat in the corners and really smooth through the karussell. No doubt the air suspension and pdcc working well here. Fast and smooth, it should be a fantastic gt/daily driver. I'd even consider to add the Burmester audio.

Ronan, are you going to order one?
No not at this stage.

Even with the Panamera I just got the plain turbo and not the Hybrid. At some stage in the future I might but the very first gen car is probably a move too far for me. I would like to see owners' experiences in the first year or so. In particular not sure about all of the charging infrastructure. I do a lot of long distance driving and am not sure about how I would enjoy the long periods to recharge. So, as a city car its overkill and as a long distance car I will wait and see. I do think it is an important car and I will certainly watch it.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:11 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't drive long distances so that's not really an issue for me and you're right it's likely overkill for a city commuter but so are all Porsches. The Taycan can charge at 350 or even 400 kW which they were able to charge 100km in 3 minutes. 15 minutes to 80% should be possible when they build these chargers across Canada. I see that Petro-Canada is installing chargers at various stations along the Trans-Canada. It will come down to price for me for the 4S version. I don't really like the idea of daily driving at $120k+ car in the winter.

I'm not too concerned with first year car issues. I think Porsche will go to great lengths to solve any issues that pop up. It can't be worse than an IMS bearing or a 2014 GT3 cam? I guess we'll see next week.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:08 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Electrifying!
Old 08-26-2019, 11:47 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Zero interest in fully electric vehicles, hybrid system absolutely. Need Sound!
Old 08-27-2019, 03:26 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
Zero interest in fully electric vehicles, hybrid system absolutely. Need Sound!
You've got the sound of the tires fighting for grip! Although this video made me realize, electric cars are going to need some serious quality construction and soundproofing, because every little rattle is going to be 10x more annoying without engine sound to drown it out...
Old 08-27-2019, 02:50 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Incredible run! And it always stuns me that the 'ring is soooo huge. It's challenging enough learning 10 turns at Mosport - never mind 100.

I am so excited about the Taycan. I really like what Tesla has done to change our expectations of a car and to make them "smarter", but I think Porsche has created an answer that addresses my main dislikes of Telsas: more ambitious styling and the ability to run it like a true sports car.

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
You've got the sound of the tires fighting for grip! Although this video made me realize, electric cars are going to need some serious quality construction and soundproofing, because every little rattle is going to be 10x more annoying without engine sound to drown it out...
I totally agree. We'll start appreciating electric sports cars for what they are. Loud roaring motors are gone, replaced with new sounds. Or as you point out, the ability to hear driving sounds that were previously inaudible. I'll always love the sound of my aircooled 911, but I wouldn't miss it in a Taycan. It's not supposed to make those sounds. I'll enjoy the feeling and sounds that it DOES make.

Can't wait to see this one in person!!

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Old 08-27-2019, 05:41 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Tires squealing is OK, other sounds far more exciting, IMHO.....

Speakers ON!

Old 08-27-2019, 05:57 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

This may be a generational thing. I recall the sound of the V12 Ferraris in F1 for instance, now much quieter. Like the sound of the steam train whistles, generations remember these things from the past, but the future is always different.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:54 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

That is not a sports car. 4 doors, 4 seats.

Great run, though.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:47 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
That is not a sports car. 4 doors, 4 seats.

Great run, though.
'Sports car' isn't a body style; it's a description of the car's capability. Of course this is a sports car, and it's a sedan.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:56 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

sports car
noun

: a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving
Old 08-28-2019, 04:05 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
sports car
noun

: a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving
Lol, I can't tell who you're agreeing with! I guess you could debate whether the Taycan is 'small', but I'd certainly say that definition fits.

Quick Reply: Taycan new 'Ring lap vid..stunning!!