Notices

New 2019 Turbo S - Review and Quality Pics (Initial and Ongoing)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 06:01 PM
vtknight
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default New 2019 Turbo S - Review and Quality Pics (Initial and Ongoing)

Hi everyone,

I am very excited to begin my new car life as a Porsche owner. I have been a Porsche fan since birth as my Father was a mega car enthusiast, and he brought me up in that fashion. It didn't hurt that he was half German lol. For all of my adolescent life I wanted a Porsche Turbo S. I feel it is safe to say that I know a great deal about the history of the platform and lineage of the Manufaktur.

I can start my initial review by saying the 2019 991.2 Porsche Turbo S does not disappoint.

Picking up the car from Pfaff Porsche in Vaughn, Ontario Canada - was a treat. Thomas Tsang, my Sales Professional, was extremely educated in all things Porsche and most importantly took the time to ensure I had all of the information I could ever want - to effectively choose the Porsche of my dreams. He took me through the purchasing of the car, picking options, changed out my side lights without pay and then kept me appraised of the entire delivery process - until it arrived on site at the Autohaus. He even helped me arrange transport of the car to my unbelievably skilled Detailer, Daniel Dragas of Dragas Auto Gallery (who hired the photographer, Adam Malthaner, to take the amazing quality pictures you see here - the other low-res pictures are mine lol). Thomas is the best there is.

It didn't stop there with Pfaff however.

Dave Goodyear, one of the Senior Technicians of Pfaff, looked after my car until I picked it up and has been handling it every since - he is both skilled and friendly - making sure my car gets the best care possible. My car only goes to him.

Finally, there is Jerome Hylton, who runs the Parts Department - and helped me to understand how my car worked, helped me with some great swag and ensured that my customer experience was second to none.

Perhaps most importantly, Porsche and Pfaff - got it RIGHT lol. All of my options and even more importantly the fit and finish was amazing. Not squeaks or rattles - more on that in a moment.
Pfaff is the best for a reason; they are the best representative of Porsche in all of Canada.

I did send a letter to Porsche Germany - even translated it into German. I din't get a response. That was disappointing.

As I am breaking in the car, this is an Initial Review: (much more info and testing to come).

The overall quality of the Porsche brand is readily accessible; the materials - from the real aluminum interior door handles to the quality carbon fibre is exemplary. The GT silver is beautiful in my opinion; with a deep flake. And Porsche paint is very smooth - the quality (which I know wasn't always the case) was top notch. Seats are very comfortable (I was worried as I got the cooled seats that they would be too hard - was not the case).They are super supportive (18 way power) and comfortable. I went with the standard black leather with no extended leather option, but I did go with the full deviated stitch package, picking Bordeaux red - adding seat belts and all of the gauges in the same colour (hard to see in the pics). Overall, I love the layout of the 991.2. No disrespect to the new 992 owners - but I really love the gauge cluster - especially them being purely analog and the overall "traditional" look (yes I know the 992 is based on a 70's Porsche layout).

While driving, the car simply exudes sportiness. It feels compact, wide and low to the ground (despite the 991's additional size). The suspension, even it's most comfortable setting is very capable.

It also exudes luxury; the newer cars are definitely much more GT now - and happily for me - for where I am in life, I am good with that. Cabin noise is minimal, even at speed, I do hear some wind noise on highway cruises - but nothing outside what would be expected. Engine noise is just right for me - even in Comfort/O (and even better in Sport and Sport+). Exhaust note is muted - but I like the burble. In Sport+ it is enough for me - but I can see many people upgrading for an increased growl.

The PDK Transmission is the best in the world - bar none - for a DCT. I honestly cannot believe it. My ZF transmission in the BMW M5 CE is very smooth - but no where as quick. The smoothness of the Turbo S is almost equivalent to the BMW however.
Road noise is minimal. What the car is...in a word - is SMOOTH. My 80 year old Mother - her first comment was it was luxury car smooth. My Wife loved the car for the smoothness and luxury - so it's a win for me.
Handling; is other-worldly. With the rear-steer - the car just feels that it can handle any canyon or curve you throw at it...easily. My previous C7 Z06 has excellent handling, but it didn't perform that handling as smoothly or easily as the Turbo S. Slow maneuvers are also a cinch - due to the rear steer. It is a very useful solution.

Power; as I am breaking the car in - I cannot fully comment - having only just started to rev to 4K RPM at 500 miles. But being pretty familiar with power with my previous modded cars (about 3000 HP between the two) - I can tell you the car is very quick. It pulls much harder and with less power-interruption than my daily F90 Competition. With the rumour that the 2019 Turbo S's have the 607 HP tune from the Exclusive - it will be interesting to see what the third party testing results are - it certainly feels it. For driving on highway or curvy roads, there is no doubt that the 991.2 Turbo S is a lot of car and can and will do what you ask of it. I was fortunate to score the Michelin PS4's - that was a bonus (my M5 CE has the Pirelli PZero's - which I am NOT happy with). Interestingly, this is one of a very few cars that I just enjoy being in - no matter what I am doing or how I am driving. Traffic, long drives in the country, city driving etc. It is an amazing drivers car in all situations. The cabin feels special and I don't want to get out of it - finding excuses to get back into to the car - even for a short cruise.

As an individual, I am very happy not to attract attention. That said - this car can get some - although it isn't constant. I would say it is 50/50 that someone will notice or stare at the car versus ignore it. Finally - I want to end with the fact I can tell this is a special car. Being fair this is my first "Exotic" ownership experience - but I have driven most of the Exotics out there - and like those, it does feel special compared to your upper level average car.

Much more review to come - with testing. I am very excited to join the Porsche community as a new owner and member.

Cheers!

Last edited by vtknight; 04-30-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:17 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Love it!
Old 04-30-2019, 06:20 PM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by ggrace
Love it!
Thanks GG - I do too lol!
Old 04-30-2019, 06:35 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Congratulations.

Looks Great! Use it in good health.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:46 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Stunning! Special to say the least!
Old 04-30-2019, 06:52 PM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by TurboS
Congratulations.

Looks Great! Use it in good health.
Thanks TS - I am looking to really enjoy it this summer!

Originally Posted by Greg981
Stunning! Special to say the least!
Thanks Greg - I am super grateful!
Old 04-30-2019, 09:43 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

that's a serious car. enjoy.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:00 PM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by moab
that's a serious car. enjoy.
Thanks Moab!
Old 05-01-2019, 12:17 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Beauty...great colour...keep the shiny side up
will this be daily driver? weekend toy? ever see the track? road trips? great GT touring car.
amazing technology in that car...enjoy

curious what other cars you considered before pulling the trigger on your first exotic?
I might have leaned over to Maclaren myself but love both.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:35 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

That is a prophetic statement.

"I might have leaned over to Maclaren myself but love both."
Old 05-01-2019, 01:07 AM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Beauty...great colour...keep the shiny side up
will this be daily driver? weekend toy? ever see the track? road trips? great GT touring car.
amazing technology in that car...enjoy

curious what other cars you considered before pulling the trigger on your first exotic?
I might have leaned over to Maclaren myself but love both.
This is my fun car - for weekends and all things driving. All of my cars see the track lol. I looked at all exotics and can give you a quick summary; Ferrari - too expensive and too slow. I really like the 458 - but it was too slow. I did not like the 488 - and although quicker - it is not as quick as the Turbo S. Plus the 488 was too expensive. This car had to be buyable with my previous two cars (GTR and C7Z). Mclaren 720S. THE quickest and fastest option. Doing my research and with friends that own or have owned - they are a maintenance challenge, build quality is suspect and they are too expensive for my budget (despite dropping like a rock in value after only one year). Huracan was an option - but NA is difficult to upgrade (you are either stock or all in - the super charger option is no good). That said - I wanted the Performante - a 10.2-10.3 car - but that made it outside my budget. Although my car will stay stock, it is nice knowing you have a Turbo - which is one tune away from a second personality.

For the performance that the Turbo S offers - with the Grand Touring - luxury - factor mixed in - I didn't see anything that could truly fight it - at this price point. Add to the fact that the 2019's may have the Exclusive tune of 607 HP (which seems to ring true as my friends car at 4000+ DA is tied for the stock Turbo S record of 10.46. He also is trapping 132 MPH on average - which is high for that elevation). So at my elevation I may run a 10.40 at 133 MPH or even better (if this tune rumour is true) which is enough for me. My C7Z was my last all rounder and I found 145 MPH was my minimum sweet spot - having the GTR to race - but I find the way the Turbo S power comes on is very satisfying (and just the overall smoothness of the car).

I feel I may hold on to this Turbo S for some time. I really really like it!
Old 05-01-2019, 01:08 AM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by TurboS
That is a prophetic statement.

"I might have leaned over to Maclaren myself but love both."
Lol - I also love both having driven both. What is for sure is - it is a great time to be alive as a car enthusiast!
Old 05-01-2019, 11:21 AM
vtknight
Racer

Another few pics...

Old 05-01-2019, 12:11 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Best Car
Best Color
Great stock performance
Who cares if it's not a "Exotic" looking (I like that part actually)

If I could afford to upgrade, I certainly would. My tuned 997.2 post very similar numbers, but would love to have the extra tech.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:24 PM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Best Car
Best Color
Great stock performance
Who cares if it's not a "Exotic" looking (I like that part actually)

If I could afford to upgrade, I certainly would. My tuned 997.2 post very similar numbers, but would love to have the extra tech.
Thanks Swole - I agree lol...And I will say the 997 is one of my favourite Porsches...I also like staying under the radar looks wise - but it can look pretty darn good if I don't say so myself...

Quick Reply: New 2019 Turbo S - Review and Quality Pics (Initial and Ongoing)