Notices

Shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 03:46 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Shifting gears

OK it’s a slow day down here in the 30c endless days and I tuned up the bike because the gears were grungy and while doing that I got to thinking about the old days of racing and gear shifts. My first recollection of that was at Zaanvoort in 67 and the GP race. I was amazed at how fast the drivers made the shifts, not at alike my Pops shifts. It was as though they didn’t use the clutch at all. hint:: they didn’t. In later years while driving a truck I learned how to shift up and down without clutching and with some practice got pretty good at it.

Back in the day many race cars used Hewland gearboxes and I only recently discovered that his business got started by a request from a racing team that was looking for a light easy to change ratio gearbox. The choice for that was the VW magnesium box which was fitted with non synchro square cut gears with four locking dogs. It’s those dogs that allows up shifts with only a slight and momentary lift on the throttle without clutching similar are downshifts and rev matching in neutral. That how the drivers made those blindingly fast shifts.

It’s not as easy in a modern road car because of the synchros but still simple enough and can be done smoothly. I don’t do it in the Boxster but shift the Jeep without clutching all the time. Here’s a link to a discussion on the subject and I wonder about others experiences.

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...t-Foot-braking
Old 03-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Back in my younger days had the clutch cable on a 69 Bug snap while in rush hour traffic on the DVP. Hobbled home shifting gears as best as possible given intermittent stop and go conditions. Also had a more recent clutch linkage failure on a 2003 Jetta up in Huntsville. Made it home just fine. Most recent was with the 911 about 3 years ago. Luckily only a few miles from home, but my prior experiences proved valuable.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Jim where are you ? in Mexico ?? permanent or snow birding ?
Old 03-25-2019, 05:31 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

[QUOTE=theiceman;15728122]Jim where are you ? in Mexico ?? permanent or snow birding ?[/QUOTE

Snow Bird, back late April, good times.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:42 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

I've actually been thinking when/if my GT2 ever needs a transaxle rebuild, to go with dogs...the way it wants to be driven...
… and actually for early Porsche guys, if you're driving a 901/915 gearbox right you probably can drive clutchless very well too..

Quick Reply: Shifting gears