Notices

Does this make sense?

Old 05-29-2019, 05:32 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

I had a chance to pick up an 87/88 Carerra back in the day, but I didn't, but ended up picking up a 996 when I was 30. I enjoyed it for a few years, sold it, and bought a place for myself,and recently picked up a Boxster. I don't think I would carry such a heavy debt burden to start, however. Life is difficult, but also know when to enjoy it. I've met some of the most interesting and genuine people through Porsche ownership, and don't regret it one bit.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:19 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I’d suggest buying a 3 unit house $900k - $1m. Live in one unit and rent the other two.

Wait a couple years then lease your Porsche.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:13 AM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace
I’d suggest buying a 3 unit house $900k - $1m. Live in one unit and rent the other two.

Wait a couple years then lease your Porsche.
Any of those near a ttc station and within 15 mins of downtown?

Last edited by Bud Fox; 05-30-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:37 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

You should buy an e46 M3! They're so cheap now, and awesome cars... If I had the garage space I'd buy one just because of that. As others have said, no need to spend 100k to have a nice car.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:28 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gartzspeed

Death waits for no one.
Love this. So true. But life mired in soul-crushing debt would suck. I'm so glad my heart is in older Porsches, because they're much cheaper and retain their value!
Old 05-31-2019, 10:44 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Love this. So true. But life mired in soul-crushing debt would suck......
And then the debt goes to your kids or to whoever your will states. Talking about screwing yourself and those closest to you.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:48 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Love this. So true. But life mired in soul-crushing debt would suck. I'm so glad my heart is in older Porsches, because they're much cheaper and retain their value!
I took this quote to mean that in the long run, one extravagant splurge won't destroy you. Would be different if you were reckless all the time, but pick your spots.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:33 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
And then the debt goes to your kids or to whoever your will states. Talking about screwing yourself and those closest to you.
Nope. When you die and if your estate has nothing left to pay it out then the debt is gone. Creditors will require signed documents from lawyer stating that zero funds are available to pay it . Debt does not transfer to surviving family members.

I know nothing. My wife's in wills and estates.
The following users liked this post:
Ernest McCaleb (04-10-2020)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:29 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
I took this quote to mean that in the long run, one extravagant splurge won't destroy you. Would be different if you were reckless all the time, but pick your spots.
I think it's different for everyone, and depends what your definition of "extravagant". It's a fine line between enjoying life and living for today, vs. living for your future (i.e. excessive caution) or your past (i.e. making up for bad decisions). In my experience, the vast majority of people fall into one of the last two camps. What a way to waste your one and only ride on the carousel.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:05 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg981
Nope. When you die and if your estate has nothing left to pay it out then the debt is gone. Creditors will require signed documents from lawyer stating that zero funds are available to pay it . Debt does not transfer to surviving family members.

I know nothing. My wife's in wills and estates.
Mortgage survives your death.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:12 PM
Greg981
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Mortgage survives your death.
To vague. Explain.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:37 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

If you die and own property with a mortgage, the mortgage must be paid or the bank takes the property. so if you leave your house/property to kids with a mortgage, unless you have mortgage insurance or life insurance that is used to pay off mortgage, the mortgage will still be owed.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:46 PM
Greg981
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbodan
If you die and own property with a mortgage, the mortgage must be paid or the bank takes the property. so if you leave your house/property to kids with a mortgage, unless you have mortgage insurance or life insurance that is used to pay off mortgage, the mortgage will still be owed.
That's the case if your dead or alive. If your alive and you sell your house the mortgage gets paid out. If the estate has the funds debts are paid out. If the mortgage is larger then the value of the house and there are no other assets in the estate the remaining mortgage does not transfer to the kids. The result is the creditor does not get paid.
The following users liked this post:
Ernest McCaleb (04-10-2020)
Old 06-01-2019, 12:23 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

agreed... but normal mortgages are usually not upside down at time of death...and if collateral mortgage could take other assets or cash from estate I believe, but I am not a lawyer even though I did stay recently at a Holiday Inn Express
Old 06-10-2019, 11:56 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by tbuff
Those figures quoted by Porsche are marketing BS. Same ones that say all Bugatti owners average 100 cars and 3 private jets. Looks good in a quote though.

i was in your very position. In my last year of school I wanted to buy a rennlisters 996 turbo. Didnt even have a job and had tons of student debt. Wisely stepped back from the ledge after two trusted people told me to. Instead waited 6 years while saving paying off my debts and getting myself established. Good thing too as there were bumps along the way. If you hate your job and cant move because of the payment or get laid off it will hurt.

I also bought an older one that has since not depreciated. It will need some cosmetic work but I drive it daily rain or shine. Good indy helps.

There is also nothing wrong with financing if you cam earn a better return elsewhere. The internet says everyone pays cash but also not true
It sound about right to me - the average new Porsche owner makes ~$500k+. The mean is skewed by outliers. Far more people making several million a year that own one or more Porsches than people making $50k a year. You can see what that does to the average.

Back to the original question, HELL to the NO. The max I'd ever spend on a car is 1/3rd my take home unless I had a substantial net worth that was several times the value of the car. And that's assuming the car is used - if I had to eat another $50k in depreciation over the ownership period, I'd add that to the cost of the car as well. I was making around where you were at your age and I drove a $25k car and felt that was a stretch to begin with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does this make sense?