Notices

Does this make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 04:06 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd say go for it. you only get one ticket to the dance . if you love the car and have 1400 from a trust fund as well, I know it's not game changing money... but it's still coming. you finished your school or whatever. if it makes sense to you in "man math" then dial it in. just because you make X and so does the nxt guy... doesn't mean you have to out humble the nxt guy or wait till 90 to get a 911. odds are you'll get it, it will change your swagger and you'll probably make more money anyway.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr_fvr
My $0.02 is it's not what you make, it's what you save.
THIS

Originally Posted by Henley1
I'd say go for it. you only get one ticket to the dance . if you love the car and have 1400 from a trust fund as well, I know it's not game changing money... but it's still coming. you finished your school or whatever. if it makes sense to you in "man math" then dial it in. just because you make X and so does the nxt guy... doesn't mean you have to out humble the nxt guy or wait till 90 to get a 911. odds are you'll get it, it will change your swagger and you'll probably make more money anyway.
and this...
Old 03-14-2019, 10:11 AM
heroicdeath
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Haha thanks everyone, I'm definitely taking the responses seriously. I'm definitely looking forward to my new job and hopefully joining the Porsche club one day!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:26 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Get a 996, best value Porsche 911 out there. Then you have lots left over for buying your first house.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:42 PM
colombiano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a 996 or Cayman and enjoy it! Like most said, I wouldn't spend so much just yet. It will come with time.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:56 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
........Then you have lots left over for buying your first house.
Only if he is allowed to stay in Canada.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:42 PM
Lemarp
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

I always wanted a 911 too so a few years out of school, I bought a G35 coupe for $12K, drove that for a few years, sold it, drove my wifes old car, hated life and then bought a 911.

The last thing you want to do is get bogged down with debt on a depreciating asset and while all your friends are out enjoying life and doing dumb things, sitting at home poor, alone, making car payments. I know someone who did something similar but with a house, so your situation would be even worse since cars are depreciating assets. Those are years you can never get back.

Plus don't forget the cost of living if you ever hope to own a house in the GTA, being dragged down by a boat anchor isn't exactly the way to get ahead in life...

Of course if you come from $$$ then throw all this advice out the window and post pics of the Porsche!
Old 03-16-2019, 06:29 PM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

What if you're just outside the GTA and about to hit mid-30's, earn just north of $150k, own a very modest home recently made mortgage free, own a BMW 1 series and Z4M outright but have $90k of locked in retirement savings all sources combined and zero debt of any kind. No wife and no kids. Can you finance a used 991.1 now and not throw away your financial future? When is the time. Just wondering how far long you have to be for it to be okay and not be financially irresponsible for the future.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:16 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 517 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky991
What if you're just outside the GTA and about to hit mid-30's, earn just north of $150k, own a very modest home recently made mortgage free, own a BMW 1 series and Z4M outright but have $90k of locked in retirement savings all sources combined and zero debt of any kind. No wife and no kids. Can you finance a used 991.1 now and not throw away your financial future? When is the time. Just wondering how far long you have to be for it to be okay and not be financially irresponsible for the future.
This is an entirely different scenario than the OP. Why would you not buy a used 991.1 if you really wanted the car? You could easily max your RRSP and afford a payment on a used 991.1 if you own your house outright and have no other debt.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky991
It's def time in your case!
Old 03-16-2019, 11:03 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Henley1
This is it. Why would I want a 911 at 65? Enjoy your life while you can. I could never understand the “lets save all the money”. The only person this benefits is someone other then yourself.

Obviously, you need a balanced life. Not everyone can afford this car - but that does not sound like you.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:30 AM
Fulwild
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don’t know Canada’s tax laws but in the US it makes sense to keep a mortgage at 3-4% when you can get 7-8% in the market or more (eg. look at QQQ for last 10 years) When you are young you can be an “aggressive”, higher risk investor. (Higher informed risk that is) Look at depreciation curves for cars you like. Where do you want to be on that curve? Learn the car you want. What breaks, how much to fix, tires, insurance etc.. Does it make sense to trade your time maintaining your car for your money having someone else maintain it? What give you satisfaction? Time is money and money buys time. Think about the value of your time when you hire someone else. Routine maintenance how-tos are on YouTube and in the forums. Am I going to be doing something that is valuable enough for me to pay someone else $x/hour to free up this time for me. It’s all about opportunity costs. Same with money. Understand compounding, both of interest and of growth.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Those that say "my time is more valuable than to work on my car" are just people that don't like to get their hands dirty and/or don't know how to do their own work.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:55 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulwild
Don’t know Canada’s tax laws but in the US it makes sense to keep a mortgage at 3-4% when you can get 7-8% in the market or more (eg. look at QQQ for last 10 years) .
AFAIK, Cdns can't write down then mortgage expense like the US does on their principal residence....
Old 05-29-2019, 04:16 PM
gartzspeed
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my first Porsche at 43, if I could have done it at 23 no doubt in my mind I would have, regardless of the future. Not right now, RIGHT %$#@!#@ now.

Death waits for no one.

Quick Reply: Does this make sense?