OT: Getting a divorce......

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 12:32 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts
Default OT: Getting a divorce......

from Mrs Rogers....

We've been together through thick and thin for most of the past 14 yrs, 2 homes, a 2nd kid,a dog, but Mrs Rogers keeps on asking more and more from me.... TO be fair, we started off slow,.... somewhere around 10Mbps down speed, but over time, she's gotten faster, and we've gotten throughputs around 400Mbps, although she says she gives me 1Gbps. I don't make a big deal of it to keep the peace...

We made a deal two years ago for 1Gbps service (of which she only put out about 400Mbps) and cable tv for 4 TV's in the house... (400 Mbps is pretty fast, but she did say 1Gbps)..... We had an agreement that cost me $135 after taxes for both. Pretty good deal, kids were happy, my wallet was happy.... Last month marked the 2 yr anniversary of that deal, and she surprises me with a bill for $270/month....

I can't take it anymore, she just asks for more and more... My people go to talk to her people, and they come to an agreement that will get me and the kids 500Mbps down and TV for 4 screens, and home phone (who uses home fone) for $195 after tax...

I'm thinking of leaving her,.... I've told the kids.... we need to make a plan.... after 14 yrs, a lot of stuff is attached to our Rogers email account.... We're going to try to get everything switched over to a new gmail account so we can move if Rogers tries something else again....

---------------

Seriously, anyone switch email addresses away from ISP's? Was it painful? is Gmail still good? Wondering if my wife and I should still carry a 'joint' email address for bills etc.... Do you and your significant other share a email?
Old 02-26-2019, 02:06 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Did this a long time ago. hotmail and gmail is good. No one contacts me through email like the old days where I did have a isp email address, really no one uses email anymore to keep in touch. There is Facebook, Instagram and other things for that as well as the phone.
I also dropped the TV bill. Just went with a roku internet streaming. Netflix, prime and Crave is much better but you have to get used to watching programs for what and when you want it and not just watch what ever is on at the time and flicking through all the garbage channels until you find something.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:06 PM
SlntSam
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The email is the toughest part. I did the same thing many years ago, although I'm with Rogers again now. However, lesson learned, I'd never use an ISP email again.

I have a friend who somehow still has an active email address, years after he left Rogers. So maybe you'll luck you and you can catch the leftover email over a few months or so.

No issues with gmail or outlook here.

What also might not be a bad option is to buy your own domain name. that way you can be petee@petee_c.com and make your own email addresses for your fam too. Costs a few bucks but it's not that bad, if it's something that interests you.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:25 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

do you share the email for the household bills? or let the boss pay for them?

my wife does most of the monthly bills -credit cards x2, gas, hydro, phone (although it will be bundled with internet/tv), she manages her own cell bill as well as the prepaid one for our kids....
407, ?rennlist sign in....

----
we have a family domain name... used to blog a little bit when the kids were younger...we really don't use it much, but the kids each have a email with it, but I am encouraging them to use their gmail one more...
Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

yeah I ditched ISP emails many many years ago. I have an old outlook email I use for junk signups. My main email has ben G mail for about 7 years . I got Bell that long ago and never signed up for their email for the exact reasons you mention. Bell and Rogers are both organized crime syndicates in my book, more powerful than any government regulation that would make things cheaper for us.
the only reason I even have it is to just click it on and watch sports without a lot of buggering around . If not for that I would have ditched it long ago.

I don't even have one bill I ever have to pay , it all just comes off my credit card or bank account.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:45 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I don't use a shared email for this but have no reason not to allow my wife into the account, I changed my email address with all the individual bills and banking establishments to my new email address. Yes its a bit of a hassle but you can also change and secure new stronger passwords for all your online accounts at the same time when you do it.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:15 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

Rogers and Bell are two of the worst run companies in the country. I cut cable and internet with them in the summer and couldn't be happier. Do it and don't look back!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:21 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

All these providers are the same - we fought with Rogers for a decade in Toronto and now we are fighting with Shaw out here in BC. They try to trick you into a free upgrade and then bam, you just changed your plan and waved good bye to all of those perks you had with the old plan.

You need to write everything down because with every change you make they WILL mess something up, and you will spend hours dealing with it. They make their billing so confusing on purpose, so that they can talk in circles on the phone when you call back to say WTH.

We now make no changes to our plans, especially our cellular plans, because we cannot come close to getting our same plan back for anywhere near the same money. That free data increase might seem like it makes sense because, well its free and its more data, but its a trick.

Theyre all the same.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:26 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
you have to get used to watching programs for what and when you want it and not just watch what ever is on at the time and flicking through all the garbage channels until you find something.
You say that likes it's something that takes adjusting to - my god, that's the best thing about cutting cable! No more ads, no more having to be in front of the TV when what you want to watch is on, none of that garbage. The only downside is live sports, but none of us in our house are big sports fans. Occasionally we'll put a jays game on through a livestream, but you can usually find it just by googling it. Won't be hd. But basically the ONLY reason to keep cable nowadays is sports, as far as I can tell. Plus, there are WAY better ISPs out there. We're on teksavvy, great speeds (especially upload speeds, which is really important for my work, as I'm always sending audio and video files to clients) and it's something like $45 or $50/month.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Rogers and Bell are two of the worst run companies in the country. I cut cable and internet with them in the summer and couldn't be happier. Do it and don't look back!
who is your provider ? id bet they are riding on a a bell or rogers backbone !!
Old 02-26-2019, 06:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BioBanker
All these providers are the same - we fought with Rogers for a decade in Toronto and now we are fighting with Shaw out here in BC. They try to trick you into a free upgrade and then bam, you just changed your plan and waved good bye to all of those perks you had with the old plan.

You need to write everything down because with every change you make they WILL mess something up, and you will spend hours dealing with it. They make their billing so confusing on purpose, so that they can talk in circles on the phone when you call back to say WTH.

We now make no changes to our plans, especially our cellular plans, because we cannot come close to getting our same plan back for anywhere near the same money. That free data increase might seem like it makes sense because, well its free and its more data, but its a trick.

Theyre all the same.
totally agree .. my "contract" was up 3 years ago and I don't bother letting them " upgrade" me ..
Old 02-26-2019, 07:29 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Christien
You say that likes it's something that takes adjusting to - my god, that's the best thing about cutting cable! No more ads, no more having to be in front of the TV when what you want to watch is on, none of that garbage. The only downside is live sports, but none of us in our house are big sports fans. Occasionally we'll put a jays game on through a livestream, but you can usually find it just by googling it. Won't be hd. But basically the ONLY reason to keep cable nowadays is sports, as far as I can tell. Plus, there are WAY better ISPs out there. We're on teksavvy, great speeds (especially upload speeds, which is really important for my work, as I'm always sending audio and video files to clients) and it's something like $45 or $50/month.
When your used to just turning on the tv as back ground noise then it does take getting used to but then there are streaming channels that do the same. ie Country network, Redbull TV. Luckily I have no interest in watching sports.
There is an isp if you go with them, they provide a streaming channel that offers all the regular channels with a tv guide and everything. I really don't care to have it now but that is still a good option if you want live tv.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:49 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Agree... i cut the cable about 8 years ago now and don't miss it.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:40 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Fired both of them years ago, never looked back. We have unlimited wifi with Fido at $58 a month tax in and life is good. We aren't big TV watchers and live sports is of zero interest. Never used ISP email so no pains there either. Never had a cell bill either as I use company phone for everything. Free cell for 20+ years has been sweet. If they want to read my shi* fill ur boots.

Wifey did a stint as a Corp Lawyer at Rogers and even the employee deals sucked. She could tell you some stories about disgruntled customers and the BS the company put them through.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:01 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Whatever you do DON'T go with Bell. They're 10 times worse than Rogers. They don't honor anything.

Quick Reply: OT: Getting a divorce......