Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Zipper Merge (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/1125364-zipper-merge.html)

SToronto 01-21-2019 09:22 PM

Zipper Merge

So true.....

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...f-our-highways

InTgr8r 01-22-2019 12:46 AM

have you ever tried to explain this to a line former?
...they just don't get it.

Nate Tempest 01-22-2019 04:57 AM

Hear hear! Unfortunately, this one is even harder to fix than proper freeway lane use. That you can at least teach gradually to new drivers over time. This only really works if everyone does it (as the article mentions). So it requires massive effort and oversight to make the conversion. It's especially difficult in cases that are less clear cut. I've seen some spots where one lane clearly ends in a merge, and signs are posted illustrating the zipper merge, and people follow them fairly well when traffic is moving slowly. But once it's moving a bit faster (but still congested), or a lane doesn't end but rather splits off, it becomes much more difficult to encourage late merging.

Imo000 01-22-2019 10:31 AM

The "mine lane" mentality is a North American phenomenon not just a Canadian one and merging makes things worse because some morons think the lane is only there's and no one is allowed to get in front of them. The zipper merger is a nice theory but hardly ever works in the real world. People get anxious when they see the lane ending sign and want to move over as soon as possible. This is normal human nature. The same thing happens when when a off ramp lane starts. Most people want to move over the the curb lane, even though there is more than one lane existing the highway.

JimV8 01-22-2019 01:06 PM

Trying to explain a zipper merge to people can have consequences such as provoking road rage and that’s without being behind the wheel. In my last visit to Holland I noticed Zipper signs at traffic merges and most people there seem to get it. It probably needs an information/awareness program to get it working for us.

strathconaman 01-22-2019 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 15584083)
People get anxious when they see the lane ending sign and want to move over as soon as possible. This is normal human nature.

I get anxious because I know people at the merge point will do their best to not let me in.

Then again, I notice when people signal and shoulder check to merge, i let them in. When they aggressively push into the lane I try to not let them in. I consider this my contribution to social justice.

Imo000 01-22-2019 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by strathconaman (Post 15584787)
I get anxious because I know people at the merge point will do their best to not let me in.

Then again, I notice when people signal and shoulder check to merge, i let them in. When they aggressively push into the lane I try to not let them in. I consider this my contribution to social justice.

I've noticed that if you make eye contact with the driver, they will 9 out of 10 times let you in. No eye contact and the same drivers will act like the lane belong to them.

MKC91 01-22-2019 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by strathconaman (Post 15584787)

Well put. I will also thank the person letting me in with a wave or a quick flash of my hazard lights (uh oh, another debate coming?):D

SToronto 01-22-2019 05:33 PM

More often than not people try and block you from merging when you try and do the zipper. The worst was a lady driving an explorer a few months back on the 403 East in Hamilton. She was laughing and doing her best quite aggressively to block me on multiple attempts. Even right at the police cruisers at the accident scene. She was also couldn't keep her lane when I was around her near Brantford. I wouldn't say most go that far, but I've had people accelerate to block, enter the ending lane etc etc.

I think this is for sure a tough one to get behaviour to change.

BIG smoke 01-22-2019 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 15584944)
I've noticed that if you make eye contact with the driver, they will 9 out of 10 times let you in. No eye contact and the same drivers will act like the lane belong to them.

And tinted windows, L_O_W_E_R_E_D_

Henley1 01-22-2019 07:04 PM

by the title of these I expected a totally different topic.

Tj40 01-22-2019 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by SToronto (Post 15585181)
More often than not people try and block you from merging when you try and do the zipper. The worst was a lady driving an explorer a few months back on the 403 East in Hamilton. She was laughing and doing her best quite aggressively to block me on multiple attempts. Even right at the police cruisers at the accident scene. She was also couldn't keep her lane when I was around her near Brantford. I wouldn't say most go that far, but I've had people accelerate to block, enter the ending lane etc etc.

I think this is for sure a tough one to get behaviour to change.

This happens a lot - it's technically actually included under the definition of 'stunt driving' in Ontario - 'driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing'

Not sure if anyone has ever been done for it though!

petee_c 01-22-2019 11:07 PM

Keep on lining up....

I just go in the empty lane until it merges.... Heard it on a John Tesh radio show a couple years back.... i didn't know it was called the zipper merge....

Scotty2H 01-22-2019 11:57 PM

Worst is when people leave their lane to get into a merge lane lane for the purpose of passing a few cars. Especially annoying at Black Creek south and Jane entrance.

theiceman 01-23-2019 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty2H (Post 15586065)
Worst is when people leave their lane to get into a merge lane lane for the purpose of passing a few cars. Especially annoying at Black Creek south and Jane entrance.

BINGO !!!!! I was wondering how log that was goin to take... people using merge lanes as passing lanes I will NOT let in I don't care... happens where the 407 merges with the 401 too,, people cut in to the 407 merge lane so they can tear along the merge lane then force themselves back in at Trafalgar. they need to fix this problem !!!