Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts
Default Zipper Merge

So true.....

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...f-our-highways
Old 01-22-2019, 12:46 AM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

have you ever tried to explain this to a line former?
...they just don't get it.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:57 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Hear hear! Unfortunately, this one is even harder to fix than proper freeway lane use. That you can at least teach gradually to new drivers over time. This only really works if everyone does it (as the article mentions). So it requires massive effort and oversight to make the conversion. It's especially difficult in cases that are less clear cut. I've seen some spots where one lane clearly ends in a merge, and signs are posted illustrating the zipper merge, and people follow them fairly well when traffic is moving slowly. But once it's moving a bit faster (but still congested), or a lane doesn't end but rather splits off, it becomes much more difficult to encourage late merging.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

The "mine lane" mentality is a North American phenomenon not just a Canadian one and merging makes things worse because some morons think the lane is only there's and no one is allowed to get in front of them. The zipper merger is a nice theory but hardly ever works in the real world. People get anxious when they see the lane ending sign and want to move over as soon as possible. This is normal human nature. The same thing happens when when a off ramp lane starts. Most people want to move over the the curb lane, even though there is more than one lane existing the highway.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:06 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Trying to explain a zipper merge to people can have consequences such as provoking road rage and that’s without being behind the wheel. In my last visit to Holland I noticed Zipper signs at traffic merges and most people there seem to get it. It probably needs an information/awareness program to get it working for us.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:03 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
People get anxious when they see the lane ending sign and want to move over as soon as possible. This is normal human nature.
I get anxious because I know people at the merge point will do their best to not let me in.

Then again, I notice when people signal and shoulder check to merge, i let them in. When they aggressively push into the lane I try to not let them in. I consider this my contribution to social justice.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:53 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
I get anxious because I know people at the merge point will do their best to not let me in.

Then again, I notice when people signal and shoulder check to merge, i let them in. When they aggressively push into the lane I try to not let them in. I consider this my contribution to social justice.
I've noticed that if you make eye contact with the driver, they will 9 out of 10 times let you in. No eye contact and the same drivers will act like the lane belong to them.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:10 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman

Well put. I will also thank the person letting me in with a wave or a quick flash of my hazard lights (uh oh, another debate coming?)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:33 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

More often than not people try and block you from merging when you try and do the zipper. The worst was a lady driving an explorer a few months back on the 403 East in Hamilton. She was laughing and doing her best quite aggressively to block me on multiple attempts. Even right at the police cruisers at the accident scene. She was also couldn't keep her lane when I was around her near Brantford. I wouldn't say most go that far, but I've had people accelerate to block, enter the ending lane etc etc.

I think this is for sure a tough one to get behaviour to change.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:05 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I've noticed that if you make eye contact with the driver, they will 9 out of 10 times let you in. No eye contact and the same drivers will act like the lane belong to them.
And tinted windows, L_O_W_E_R_E_D_
Old 01-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

by the title of these I expected a totally different topic.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
More often than not people try and block you from merging when you try and do the zipper. The worst was a lady driving an explorer a few months back on the 403 East in Hamilton. She was laughing and doing her best quite aggressively to block me on multiple attempts. Even right at the police cruisers at the accident scene. She was also couldn't keep her lane when I was around her near Brantford. I wouldn't say most go that far, but I've had people accelerate to block, enter the ending lane etc etc.

I think this is for sure a tough one to get behaviour to change.
This happens a lot - it's technically actually included under the definition of 'stunt driving' in Ontario - 'driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing'

Not sure if anyone has ever been done for it though!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:07 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Keep on lining up....

I just go in the empty lane until it merges.... Heard it on a John Tesh radio show a couple years back.... i didn't know it was called the zipper merge....
Old 01-22-2019, 11:57 PM
Scotty2H
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Worst is when people leave their lane to get into a merge lane lane for the purpose of passing a few cars. Especially annoying at Black Creek south and Jane entrance.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty2H
Worst is when people leave their lane to get into a merge lane lane for the purpose of passing a few cars. Especially annoying at Black Creek south and Jane entrance.
BINGO !!!!! I was wondering how log that was goin to take... people using merge lanes as passing lanes I will NOT let in I don't care... happens where the 407 merges with the 401 too,, people cut in to the 407 merge lane so they can tear along the merge lane then force themselves back in at Trafalgar. they need to fix this problem !!!

Quick Reply: Zipper Merge