Notices

Feedback on paint protection please ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Feedback on paint protection please ...

Just wondering if anyone "in the know" can provide feedback with respect to this. Firstly, I've purchased PPF in the past and do believe in it; however, I figured with a leased vehicle this time around, perhaps I'll forgo PPF but have a better looking paint finish and the car/ wheels will be easier to clean. Here's what I rec'd:

1. Gold Package (includes Kenzo Paint Protection, Ecocoat Wheel Protection as well as Ecocoat Windshield- a clear coating that is chemically bonded to the glass) - $2200 + HST.
2. Silver (includes Paint Protection and Rim Protection). Retails for $1800
3. Kenzo Paint Protection only – Retails for $1500

The above is before discount so feel free to provide opinions on the service as well as the pricing.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

If your are going to return it when the lease is up don’t waste your money.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
If your are going to return it when the lease is up don’t waste your money.
And if I decided to buyout the lease ??
Old 01-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevelev
And if I decided to buyout the lease ??
Then maybe just do the paint protection. Wheels are easy to refinish and windshields can be replaced. But orginal paint is only original once.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:14 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I think $1800 for a coating is completely crazy but maybe thats just me. And esp if its a lease. Do you know now that you are going to 100% buy it out? If Yes, (I still wouldnt do it ) but then it would make some sense to you. Otherwise keep the paint in nice shape and if you buy out the lease put it on then
Old 01-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

The markup on this stuff is frankly obscene that's why I refuse to ever use it until the package pricing comes down substantially. Your dealer at a minimum is making $900 profit on option 1 if he farms it out. If he has the skilled staff to do in house add another $300 to 400 profit on top. I'm all for healthy profit but that is just ridiculous.

They are printing money while they can until the market and competition forces the price points down a minimum 30 to 50%.

If you are sold on the application get it done outside of the dealer environment at a certified aftermarket shop.

Last edited by Pags993; 01-04-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:21 PM
rob p
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pricing on all this paint protection makes absolutely no sense. I am in the same boat and have been contacting several installers. ppf 5-6K and ceramic anywhere from 2-2500 for car with wheels/calipers. I don't mind paying 1200 or so for ceramic but 2500?? it's a spray on application!!

Porsche Oakville quoted nearly 10K for both applications, ridiculous!!
Old 01-05-2019, 03:38 PM
Performante
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't go through a dealer because a. you don't know if the work will be good, b. you don't know who the installer is and what film they'll be using and c. you'll be paying a huge markup. Find a shop in your area that does PPF and personally I wouldn't waste money on coatings. A good wax every 6 months and maintain with a good QD will give you similar results.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Thx for the responses guys. For the record, the reason for considering ceramic (and not PPF) was to try and have a car that looks great over the time I own it. I think I can count on two fingers the number of times I've washed an entire car over the past 10+ years but have regularly washed the wheels myself to get rid of brake dust in between having someone else wash the car. It appears I can get the paint and rims ceramic coated for approx. $1,200. which will make wheel cleaning a cinch and likely avoid swirls etc in the dark metallic paint.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:26 PM
newbie2p
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What maintenance regime is required after applying a ceramic coating? Thanks.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:22 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

I understand there may be an annual requirement by the manufacturer but for the short term (ie: 3 years or less), my plan is to do nothing.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I have PPF and ceramic on our Macan. We love it. Ceramic makes the car paint really pop and we get that freshly detailed glow all the time. It's been 8 months now since application and our GTS sits outside all the time. Ceramic is well worth it cosmetically.

Like others have said, don't use the dealer for this. All they are going to do is drive your car to a shop that does the work. I think we paid about $1000 for ceramic coating of the body and wheels. Ceramic is a spray/wipe on application but you are supposed to be paying for paint correction and beautification before the ceramic application.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JonCanadian
I have PPF and ceramic on our Macan. We love it. Ceramic makes the car paint really pop and we get that freshly detailed glow all the time. It's been 8 months now since application and our GTS sits outside all the time. Ceramic is well worth it cosmetically. ....
Thx man, your feedback is much appreciated. I'd love to hear where you got this done and if an annual "touch up" is required or recommended (PM me pls). I agree that paint correction is essential. FYI, our local dealer does this work inhouse ("employee has 20 years experience") so if they can do it at a competitive price, I'm happy to avoid having to take the car anywhere else for this work.

Last edited by Stevelev; 01-07-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:48 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevelev
FYI, our local dealer does this work inhouse ("employee has 20 years experience") so if they can do it at a competitive price, I'm happy to avoid having to take the car anywhere else for this work.
Personally I'm a fan of ceramic coatings, had them on my last 3 vehicles and will continue to do so going forward. That said as mentioned your dealer is going to be way overpriced on this... not familiar with the Kenzo product but if it is only good for 3-4 years that is equivalent to something my detailer does in the $500-600 range including 2 stage polish prior to application.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:38 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie2p
What maintenance regime is required after applying a ceramic coating? Thanks.
I can't speak for all coating products, but none of the coatings we install have any "required" post-installation obligations... other than the common sense of washing semi-regularly with appropriate car wash products and methods. Depending on how much exposure your coating faces (eg winter driving, parked outdoors, etc) you might see some degradation in the beading/hydrophobic properties after some time - but this does NOT necessarily mean that the coating's chemical resistance to staining and water-etching has failed.

If you want to keep the hydrophobic properties of your coating at 10/10 year after year, we have a maintenance product made by the coating manufacturer that essentially reapplies the hydrophobic layer again. It's not expensive, and many customers like to do it at the beginning of each spring to make maintenance really easy all driving season.

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Quick Reply: Feedback on paint protection please ...