Notices

Recommendations for expel and ceramic in GTA

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 01:37 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by THE REFINERY
The main purpose of paint protection film (PPF) is to protect the covered paint from stone impacts and scratching - not necessarily to facilitate cleaning and maintenance. That's what ceramic coatings, waxes and sealants help with.

Just like a clear coat, PPF needs to be protected from staining and etching that you get from road dirt, oils, bird droppings, etc. You don't technically need a ceramic coating to protect the film, but ceramic coatings are much more effective and longer lasting than, say, waxes or sealants.

PPF is porous and has a very thin clear coat layer on it. Ceramic coatings bond very well on PPF, and give you years of protection from staining, hard water etching etc. But because PPF is more porous than clear coat, Ceramic Pro for example has engineered a specific version of its coating that is optimized for use on film. That's designed to ensure the film doesn't absorb the coating unevenly, and to ensure longevity and performance of the product.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Great information!!

How do you deal with rejuvenating aged ceramic on PPF?
I understand that on paint, its a polishing procedure but with ceramic on PPF, does the film have to be replaced when the ceramic starts to fail?

Old 01-22-2019, 02:34 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Great information!!

How do you deal with rejuvenating aged ceramic on PPF?
I understand that on paint, its a polishing procedure but with ceramic on PPF, does the film have to be replaced when the ceramic starts to fail?
How old is the coating vs the film?

If you really maintain your ceramic coating diligently, it will likely last as long as your film. The best thing you can do to maximize the longevity of ceramic coating is to do the (optional) annual treatment that reapplies the hydrophobic layer. With Ceramic Pro, that topcoat layer is a product called "Ceramic Pro SPORT".

If you've inherited a problem where the coating is already failing, then sometimes you can use a fine polish to remove it and clean the film surface, then reapply the coating. But PPF has a very thin clear coat, so it's a bit uncertain if it'll work exactly as hoped.

Worst case scenario, yes. Start over by pulling the old film up, install new film and apply a new coating. But this will be several years down the road, not months.

Hope that helps!

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Old 01-23-2019, 06:16 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 969 Likes on 567 Posts

Patrick is amazing and actually did me a favour and did my 993 stone guards in my home garage. Very nice fellow that I would trust with any car.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:19 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Patrick is amazing and actually did me a favour and did my 993 stone guards in my home garage. Very nice fellow that I would trust with any car.
Patrick was the go to guy for all my cars except the F430. I'm debating PPF or Ceramic. Italian paint is tricky.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:43 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 99three
Patrick was the go to guy for all my cars except the F430. I'm debating PPF or Ceramic. Italian paint is tricky.
Ceramic doesn't really play the same role as PPF. It doesn't provide nearly the same level of protection against stone chips, sandblasting, etc. So, it's really a function of how/where you intend on driving your car.

Let me know if you want to bounce your ideas off someone else. Happy to help with your decision - regardless of where you get the work done.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:53 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Originally Posted by 99three
Exactly, Patrick also has exceptional work ethics and great integrity, the trust factor alone is worth going with him, as well as the impeccable work by him and his assistant.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:57 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Will never understand Ceramic coating on top of film. For $7000 you can get your finish corrected twice a year for 14 years and it will look better each time. I get one or the other but...just my opinion.
Arthur at Gregs Autoshine (google him)does the best prep/correction that I've ever seen....by far.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:45 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Thx to all who have posted (I'm the OP). As stated, I do not plan to keep the car for the long term (and it will be a lease) so PPF doesn't make sense this time 'round. After doing some further digging, it seems a couple coats of paint sealant and annual detailing ($400. incl. pain correction if required) may be the best bet.

Old 11-16-2019, 02:06 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Learned yesterday Patrick Casavant is now offering a 10% discount on paint protection film installation until December 31st., he can install at a north Toronto indoor facility, or probably in your well heated garage.

I consider Patrick the top PPF installer in the GTA area, those who have seen his custom install on my 996 from 8 years ago, can attest to the quality of workmanship, he also has the integrity that I can trust, two factors from which meant I had no second thought to go back to Patrick last year when I got a new car, again for a full custom install and once again extremely happy with the results!

416.985.5987 theclearchoiceppf@gmail.com
Old 11-16-2019, 01:04 PM
sweetsound
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I read all the forums back when I picked up my factory order 718 GTS this spring, and never went back and posted about the experience. (too busy enjoying the summer and the great experience PPF provides) :-)

After speaking with a few places, I ended up going with Ali @ Auto Bath Elite. The service, quality and overall experience were all excellent. I really couldn't give a higher recommendation to Ali and his business.

autobath.ca
Location is in Vaughan. 160 Pennsylvania Ave #8, Concord, ON L4K 4A9

Cheers.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:16 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevelev
Thx to all who have posted (I'm the OP). As stated, I do not plan to keep the car for the long term (and it will be a lease) so PPF doesn't make sense this time 'round. After doing some further digging, it seems a couple coats of paint sealant and annual detailing ($400. incl. pain correction if required) may be the best bet.
Get yourself a good random orbital polisher and good product (like Menzerna not CT stuff) and you can correct and protect your car yourself. You will save a ton of money over the years and get to do it to your level of satisfaction. I quite enjoy doing it and yes, you can find the time

Quick Reply: Recommendations for expel and ceramic in GTA