Notices

Leafs Road to the Cup or...? official Leafs discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts
Thumbs up Leafs Road to the Cup or...? official Leafs discussion thread

Thought I would start a Leafs thread here where we can praise and whine and haters can even criticize The Toronto Maple Leafs
OK with Marner and Matthews still under rookie contracts , Anderson possibly the best goaltender in the NHL and the biggest offseason Free Agent signing in years (John Tavares), the best coach (and highest paid) this is the year the Leafs have their best shot at the cup.
IMO they still need some help on defence if they want to compete in the offseason and will have a challenge getting past Boston, Tampa and Washington.
Watching those kids making big plays at crucial times is incredible.
I am hoping they can do it.
Vegas had them favored to win. Still a bit of a long shot IMO but I believe!
GO Leafs Go!
Great game last night vs Carolina. Tough one tomorrow vs Stamkos and Co in Tampa.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Great game last night. Tough one tomorrow though.
what about Hyman's suspension? I say BS! the hit was .8 secs after he passed the puck and no head contact. Was it because he is a Leaf? Jew? many worse hits go unpunished and he has no history of suspensions. Not a big deal but doesn't seem fair. Especially for a team that lacks toughness to suspend that hit was a joke. ....opinions?
Old 12-12-2018, 12:51 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

I think they will need a decent defenceman and a backup goalie to get near. A Nylander trade could accomplish that.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:19 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

It's all about the 60 minutes of work ethic.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Balu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MLSE's deep pockets and generosity haven't gone unnoticed in Canuckland.
It's much appreciated you all giving us LEIVO for free.
Good luck with the impending cap space juggling act.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:30 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Originally Posted by Balu
MLSE's deep pockets and generosity haven't gone unnoticed in Canuckland.
It's much appreciated you all giving us LEIVO for free.
Good luck with the impending cap space juggling act.
We've had worse problems!
btw Leivo is a really good player. Enjoy!
Old 12-12-2018, 04:19 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

I have a feeling Leafs will make a trade in order to get a veteran D man. Will "Melander" go in a trade? Don't know but he's not really needed considering the Leafs offence until now...

He was gassed last night but ended up with two assists...jury's out on him
Old 12-12-2018, 05:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

I just hope this doesn't become a haters thread which seems all too prevalent these days ...

I'm not sure the boys have enough to carry them through Tampa, Boston Washington and/or Pittsburgh . Lets hope so .. It is obvious to all fans they are weak on the backend . I was hoping they would trade the riverboat gambler (Gardener)on the back end for someone more stable. Hainsey this year is too slow and old to keep up and its really showing this season. The rest are either not ready or fringe players.
Still . lots of time to make some trades to shore it all up .
There are already a few teams ripe for the picking . Id love to pick up Simmons actually from Philly to add some toughness that Kadri just cant provide no matter how he tries. The playoffs are a grind ...

its certainly great to watch and I look forward to seeing what moves the leafs make.

Last edited by theiceman; 12-13-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Great game last night. Tough one tomorrow though.
what about Hyman's suspension? I say BS! the hit was .8 secs after he passed the puck and no head contact. Was it because he is a Leaf? Jew? many worse hits go unpunished and he has no history of suspensions. Not a big deal but doesn't seem fair. Especially for a team that lacks toughness to suspend that hit was a joke. ....opinions?
Danny its definitely coz he's a jew i'd suspend him just for those horrible lawyer commercials.

kidding aside though I always try to be impartial.. and yeah it was a suspendable hit. I played the game for years just like a lot of guys on here and .8 seconds is forever when you are playing . he could have avoided it. I did not have problem with it. I don't like comparing . it just means they missed other calls.
Not related to this but I have seen guys " showing their numbers" more in the past couple of years as they know they can draw a major. I think this needs to be penalized also as guys seem to intentionally put themselves in vulnerable positions. The " j turn" down the boards is asking to get yourself killed.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I get it but when there is no head hit and player is not injured, a late hit is called interference. But as I said before Hyman being suspended is no big deal.
I agree about needing to bolster defence hopefully with a big name d but not likely at this point. As long as Freddy can stay healthy we don't need to replace Sparky. He played great in the minors and won the championship and earned as spot on the team this year. No way would they replace him at this point in the season unless one of them gets hurt.
I would love to add Wayne Simmons (as per Iceman), he is even a Toronto boy and certainly tough and has good hands.
I do love watching Matthews bring it every shift, he is the real deal.
I also love watching Marner dangle and JT's work ethic and skill. When someone takes the puck off Tavares it is like they stole his wallet and he goes crazy trying to get it back.
Reilly is coming into his own this year and it is enjoyable to watch his progress over the years.
Zeitsev is the player who frustrates me more than anyone on the team. Too bad he makes 4.5 mil otherwise I would hope for a trade. I would like to see Holl play another game or two.
I also am loving Johnson and Kappenen, both producing well and hard workers.
We will need toughness and D if we want to win the cup.
And yes most likely 50% of the posters on this thread will be either jealous or just haters
Old 12-13-2018, 11:17 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

The score being 6-1 was a big part of the Hyman suspension.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:13 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Great game tonight. After the first we showed Montreal who's boss! Kappy's violin at the end was priceless...see what I did there?
Not likely to meet in playoffs this year but would be spectacular.
Let's see if Dubass pulls out a trade before Tuesday.
Go Leafs Go!
Old 02-24-2019, 09:33 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Trick is never panic and stay the course. It was great to see concrete hands Hyman get a couple
Old 02-25-2019, 03:35 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I really hope I'm wrong but I can't see them getting by Boston or the Lightening. Going down to watch Buffalo tonight and Edmonton on Wednesday.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hoping they picked up mcQuaid today .. their defense is too small and fragile for the playoffs. Blues game showed what big strong D can do for you . 4 guys over 6'4"

Muzzin is not the answer , jut too slow and out of shape.

Quick Reply: Leafs Road to the Cup or...? official Leafs discussion thread