Notices

OT: ramblings on Leafs Tickets, Google Pay

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:12 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts
Default OT: ramblings on Leafs Tickets, Google Pay

I had some days off booked after Christmas because my son's hockey team was in a tournament on the 27-30th, but the there weren't enough teams in his division, so the coaching staff decided to withdraw from the tournament. This gave us a couple days free...

We looked at Mont Tremblant for skiing, but all the slopeside accomodations in our price range was booked, and it really wasn't my 1st choice. (My middle aged body is failing me... chronic neck problems, combined with back problems from being stupid 5 yrs ago means no core strength and meant skiing would be a shadow of how I was able to ski when younger..)

My wife found that the Leafs were playing in Columbus on the 28th, and I bought some tickets on SeatGeek... Just figuring out SeatGeek, Stubhub, Vividseats and comparing prices and fees was not easy. Anyways, we ended up with 4 seats by the blue line where the Leafs will be attacking in the 1st and 3rd, about 15 rows up for $750USD after fees and a $20 discount code. (Yeah, some schmoe has got to pay Nylander's $42M salary) - Tickets in the upper bowl looked to be in the $500USD range for 4 after fees... Columbus looks to be about a 6-7h drive from the Waterloo area.

A few days after entering my CC # into seatgeek, I get a email that John Doe has transferred the tickets to me... They are mobile tickets, so I had to read up about that. I watch the video in the FAQ from SeatGeek, and accept a transfer from Ticket Master... It asks/are offers for me to put them on "Google Pay" - an app I haven't installed before.... After some navigating on my phone, I manage to get 4 seats and their related QR codes on my phone, ( I'm sweating a little bit, as I don't want my $1000cdn to vanish into pixie dust if I press a wrong button).... There is coupon for $10 if I use Google Pay 4x in the next month....

I do some reading about Google Pay, looks interesting.... some gas stations , restaurants, Tims seem to use it... hmmm.... It seems more like a gimick then something super useful... It's not ambiguous yet, so I still need to carry my CC, and not sure if it's faster than tap....

Anyone use Google Pay, or see the Leafs this season? Last time we saw the Leafs was almost 4 yrs ago....

---back to your regularly scheduled programming.....
Old 12-06-2018, 01:17 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

I saw the Leafs earlier this season with a client, but only because the tickets were free.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

I go to Leafs games regularly, and watch every game. This is the year they can challenge for the cup. Seems like a lot of money to see a game in Columbus but should be fun, what row did that get you. I have been there and it is a very small town. Nice area in the summer time. The whole google wallet thingy seems kinda silly though. Have fun and GO LEAFS GO!
I enjoy seeing hockey in other arenas, lots of fun. Some arenas in the south are really inexpensive for tickets.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:53 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
This is the year they can challenge for the cup.
Says every leafs fan every single year for the last half century!
Old 12-06-2018, 04:12 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Says every leafs fan every single year for the last half century!
It's right up there with "The south will rise again!" ......................No it won't.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:52 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I go to Leafs games regularly, and watch every game. This is the year they can challenge for the cup. Seems like a lot of money to see a game in Columbus but should be fun, what row did that get you. I have been there and it is a very small town. Nice area in the summer time. The whole google wallet thingy seems kinda silly though. Have fun and GO LEAFS GO!
I enjoy seeing hockey in other arenas, lots of fun. Some arenas in the south are really inexpensive for tickets.

16th row - "p"...

Yeah, i was a little surprised it cost that much....but I guess everyone wants to make their money I saw Florida in Ottawa a couple years ago, and I think they were around $100 each....

Go Leafs Go!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

Leafs are the biggest draw in the league in other cities.
Vegas pushed hard with bettman to have the leafs in town New Years eve of their first season
Leafs are a huge money maker fir small market clubs.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:43 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Leafs are the biggest draw in the league in other cities.
Vegas pushed hard with bettman to have the leafs in town New Years eve of their first season
Leafs are a huge money maker fir small market clubs.
#4 actually

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg
Old 12-12-2018, 11:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
Go to last year ( full year) and check road %
Old 12-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

comments about Leafs moved to new Leafs thread. Come on over and share your general Manager plan from the couch

Last edited by Turbodan; 12-12-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: OT: ramblings on Leafs Tickets, Google Pay