Notices

Winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I have mice in my area so I have a lot of bait stations which I check on every week and refill if needed. They are great as you can see the activity and the provide a nice home to them
In the Frunk I use moth ***** around air filter and all round the empty cavities.
Steel wool in Exhaust pipes
Dryer sheets in the interior cabin all over
Engine Air Filter is open on Turbo so more moth *****
I place led work light under the car by passenger front wheel wheel, I figure this is the entrance into air system which gives them access to frunk and cabin, mice like dark places
The bait is a bad idea, it just attracts mice to the area. And they won’t all go to the bait.

I have tons of mice as well and have done the following:
-no more garbage in garage (that was the main attraction)
-sealed all holes arround base of the house
-Installed sonic devices (not the small ones as they are useless)

Now my garage has been mice free for years. I still see them outside, under our porch etc but they don’t go to the garage any longer.

I have two two of these on either side of the garage door.

http://www.victorpest.com/victor-pestchaser-pro-m792
Old 10-27-2018, 11:10 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
That's why I do it. Curious if there is evidence somewhere of moisture actually building up. It's a fairly closed system I would think unless it's coming from the gasoline itself.
I fill up the tank to remove any possibility of condensation happening to a tank that is only partially full
Old 10-27-2018, 02:01 PM
Dave O
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

While this will be my first winter storing a Porsche (968) I have stored another car during the winter months. I have used many of the suggestions listed here. Here's one I use that was not listed. If you are worried about mice or rodents definitely use moth ***** and dryer sheets. (I get the dryer sheets at the Dollar Store, the smellier the better but not unpleasant.) The additional thing I pick up are 4-6 bottles of black pepper.. I use one bottle per wheel surrounding the tire and an additional bottle or two to surround the perimeter of the car. Now you may think this is crazy but think about mouse behavior. They're always sniffing the ground as they wander about. When they hit the pepper they get a nose full and will back off. Again a bottle is $1 at the Dollar Store so you're spending an additional $5-6, well worth it if it helps keep the little buggers away. I have yet to have any critter problems (5 years now) even when other cars stored in the same building have had problems My car is stored in a concrete floored metal barn like building. Its not heated and I'm pretty sure critters can get in.

I also do things like wrap the windshield wipers with plastic wrap so they don't stick to the windshield, park on a plastic tarp, keep windows closed, open glove box and put in dryer sheets in it, put the car in neutral and don't engage the E brake (chock a wheel if the floor isn't level) and stuff aluminum foil in the exhaust and air filter intake. Oh yea I use a car cover, don't lock the doors and I remove the battery and take it home and shelve it with a battery tender.

In the spring everything I've done is removed. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is something I do before firing up the engine. I remove the fuel pump fuse and turn the engine over for about 10 seconds. This recirculates the oil in the engine at low RPM (got this from a Miata site). Then I plug in the fuel pump fuse and fire up the engine.
Hope these suggestions help.
Dave
Old 10-27-2018, 02:22 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Tomcat chunks all over the garage. Cut up Irish Spring soap bars are supposed to repel also. I like to put a small fan inside a footwell also to keep air moving.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:26 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971

The bait is a bad idea, it just attracts mice to the area. And they won’t all go to the bait.

I have tons of mice as well and have done the following:
-no more garbage in garage (that was the main attraction)
-sealed all holes arround base of the house
-Installed sonic devices (not the small ones as they are useless)

Now my garage has been mice free for years. I still see them outside, under our porch etc but they don’t go to the garage any longer.

I have two two of these on either side of the garage door.

http://www.victorpest.com/victor-pestchaser-pro-m792
Not from what I can tell. Bait is slowly killing them all off. Very little feeding anymore before when I first started they were eaten up every two days. Also I don't bait by the car I bait the corners of the building. We aslo use them outside. Rather them try there first and not even look for the ones inside.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:30 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Over 42 years of car storage I've found the only thing that works on mice is poison bait and the old Victor traps baited with an unsalted sunflower seed. I prefer the traps because you can dispose of the mouse and re-use the trap. You also know what the population is by the trap kill rate. Mice like the dark so I never use a car cover.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:40 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

recently has a problem with mice at the cottage, used a combo of bait boxes and snap traps baited with one piece of dry dog food and a drop or two of maple syrup got our first two kills in 20 min. according to the pest control company that came in mice don't like peppermint so crushed up peppermint candy around possible entry points should help keep them away. Guess I'll be going through our girls Halloween bags for coffee crisp and peppermint candy this year.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:19 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 831 Likes on 381 Posts

Open glove box and remove your cabin air filter - mice love nesting there.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:32 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,183 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by 9964runner
recently has a problem with mice at the cottage, used a combo of bait boxes and snap traps baited with one piece of dry dog food and a drop or two of maple syrup got our first two kills in 20 min. according to the pest control company that came in mice don't like peppermint so crushed up peppermint candy around possible entry points should help keep them away. Guess I'll be going through our girls Halloween bags for coffee crisp and peppermint candy this year.
Buy peppermint essential oil. Much more potent. I soaked up cotton ***** with it and placed in our BBQ cabinet. Worked for that entry point.

New Directions Aromatics has a good price.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:05 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

I never get a problem with rodents when these 3M notes are posted around the car during storage
Old 10-28-2018, 11:11 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

And for the stubborn ones
Old 10-29-2018, 04:12 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Mice?? Fill a bucket about 1/3 with water........punch a hole in the end of a pop can and run a string through the can....attach string to each side of bucket so it acts as a spinning barrel. Cover the barrel in peanut butter. Mice go for a lick and spin into bucket and....expire. If in unheated area use antifreeze instead of water.....they can't swim but they can skate.
I've been told by car, boat and snowmobile guys to always use stabilizer. Shouldn't be anything wrong with 6 month old gas if stabilizer used.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:21 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I know the mice can be a pain. but the bait/trap n drown seems kinda ****ty.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:28 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Mice?? Fill a bucket about 1/3 with water........punch a hole in the end of a pop can and run a string through the can....attach string to each side of bucket so it acts as a spinning barrel. Cover the barrel in peanut butter. Mice go for a lick and spin into bucket and....expire. If in unheated area use antifreeze instead of water.....they can't swim but they can skate.
I've been told by car, boat and snowmobile guys to always use stabilizer. Shouldn't be anything wrong with 6 month old gas if stabilizer used.
I've seen this contraption in action at a hunting camp. Works like a charm but instead of filling it water, fill it with antifreeze so it doesn't.......freeze.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

You guys want to hear what I've done to my 5.0 Mustang that I have in Europe since '95 and only gets used maybe every 2 years? I pull the battery and give it to a buddy to use since it will be junk by the time the car gets used again and THAT'S IT! Never had ANY issues starting it, even when it saw for 4 years unused. Half this time it spend in a garage and half outside. I do the same to my 928, except I keep the battery. Cars are tougher than people think.

Quick Reply: Winter storage