Notices

Do you drive your 911 all year round?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol. I think my car has only seen rain once. I know. I know. At least I save a fortune on wiper blades.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:41 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 351 Posts

I would if we didn't have salt on the roads... use the Boxster or others for that salty nastiness
Old 10-02-2018, 02:26 PM
jackolo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a 997.2 4S year round and it was fine. I was running Sotto Zeros then. I have blizzaks on my 996 4S and will be taking it out as well.
Edmonton has been having relatively mild winters so it's not too bad. They started putting Calcium Chloride on the roads last year though so I might be ending my year round drives soon.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:17 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by shopping4991
I currently have a 987.2 for summer, and I’m considering trading in for a 991 and get ride of my winter car all together..
Is this practical? There’s not many 991 c4 on the market...

I never had a rear wheel drive in winter, i know a few guys drive RWD with winter tires they said it’s fine, but I saw a bimmer having hard time getting over a bridge so idk... I work from home a couple of days a week, so unexpected snow storm is my concern, and salt...

Thoughts?
depends.

the RWD of the model you are looking at is a rear engined car, so there is more weight I would think on the rear axle than on a front engined /RWD car, and likely has more 'traction' in terms of getting moving from a stop.

It depends on the length of time you want to keep it. If the 991 isn't your forever car, than it probably doesn't matter if you drive it in the winter, when corrosion starts to become a problem, just buy a newer one.....

'unexpected snow storm'? - where do you live? If we get anymore than 5 cm of snow, it'll be on the news every half hour for at least a week before, and when it actually hits, it'll likely be 2cm of snow.....
Old 10-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

I drive my 991 GTS RWD year round in Toronto and have had no issues... I don't drive that often mind you and my commute when I go in is 4kms. As mentioned above with a good set of winter tires (Michelin PA4 in my case) it is a champ, I've tackled cold + snow + ice the past few years and it is easily the best winter car I've driven the past 10 years or so. Miles better than my C63 or M3s.

I say go for it...
Old 10-03-2018, 10:36 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Park it on bad days. LYFT on those days.
Really winter in Toronto is 10-12 weeks, with only a few SNOW days.
Previous owner of my car drove it all year for 7 years on summer tires.
Crazy, but his drive from home to work was 3kms-ish.
Slid to work, then slid home.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 170 Posts

Will be my first winter with a Porsche this year. Recently picked up a 986 S with a hard top
Old 10-03-2018, 01:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Park it on bad days. LYFT on those days.
Really winter in Toronto is 10-12 weeks, with only a few SNOW days.
Previous owner of my car drove it all year for 7 years on summer tires.
Crazy, but his drive from home to work was 3kms-ish.
Slid to work, then slid home.
yeah I kind of think snow tires are over rated in this area also , but I am sure there are people who disagree.

20 years ago the only guy that got snow tires in my work was the guy in Sudbury ( field service crew of 20 in GTA ) . Now everyone has them as this type of thing creeps and employes cry safety. Our Winter insurance car accident claims are way higher than they were 20 years ago measured by number of accidents not $ . of course this does not prove anything, I get that , but it certainly did not go down or even increase a little it has increased a lot .

This is hard data to justify unless you had a parallel universe but I sure think the tire companies are happy. Yes I am sure they have reduced accidents , but enough to justify the massive cost of everyone buying them all the time ? that I'm not so sure.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:57 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Whatever you decide. Check with your insurance provider. Read your policy.
I get 5% off for snow tires.
I would be a shame, if you had difficulty making a claim for running your car in the winter, and your provider took issue with summer only tires ....
Not suggesting anything other than, go check ....
Old 10-04-2018, 11:15 AM
fenixv8
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

An AWD 911 in the winter would be super fun, even the C2 with the weight on the rear would be great as long as you have good snow tires. I drove my FRS and MR2 through a few winters and it was perfectly fine. Its just a mater of weather your comfortable exposing your car to all that salt. If you are fine with that and have good snow tires, winter driving shouldnt be an issue.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
yeah I kind of think snow tires are over rated in this area also , but I am sure there are people who disagree.

20 years ago the only guy that got snow tires in my work was the guy in Sudbury ( field service crew of 20 in GTA ) . Now everyone has them as this type of thing creeps and employes cry safety. Our Winter insurance car accident claims are way higher than they were 20 years ago measured by number of accidents not $ . of course this does not prove anything, I get that , but it certainly did not go down or even increase a little it has increased a lot .

This is hard data to justify unless you had a parallel universe but I sure think the tire companies are happy. Yes I am sure they have reduced accidents , but enough to justify the massive cost of everyone buying them all the time ? that I'm not so sure.
The population hasn't increased over 20 years?

Why don't we get rid of airbags too like the old days
Old 10-04-2018, 05:28 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,277 Likes on 766 Posts

Drive my 991 rwd year round with PA4s.

On pack snow with NO inclines it's not bad.

In the slushy stuff on inclines you'll have trouble.

On dry roads when cold the PA4s are awesome.

Clearance is an issue.

I basically stick to dry clear days.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:17 PM
glennl
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have driven my 993 year round since 2006. Pilot Alpins for a number of years, and when I could no longer get the PA's in 17", I switched to Blizzaks. Ground clearance is the biggest problem.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:16 PM
JF22
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 10-05-2018, 02:51 PM
SlntSam
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. But I'm sure like everyone else, it's not my only car, so if it's a particularly nasty day out, I have an old Tucson that I'd rather drive. Like someone else mentioned, it's not the 911's capabilities I'm worried about, it's other people.

Quick Reply: Do you drive your 911 all year round?