Notices

Thoughts on current Ontario 991.2 pricing, availability, discounts, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Soundstream
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on current Ontario 991.2 pricing, availability, discounts, etc.

For a bit of background, I've owned a couple of Boxsters, but have yet to make the leap to a 911, so I know very little with regards to ordering, pricing, and the general lay of the land.

Recently, I have been intrigued by this car for a while: https://www.porschecentreoakville.co...tallic+1601645

It is a 2017 C4S executive demo with 11,000+ kms on it. It is a CPO vehicle, so I believe the warranty started about 18 months ago.

It has been on the lot for 6 months now, and they have slowly been lowering the price. It started at $149K, then $146K, $144K, and now $143K.

I tallied up the MSRP and it appears to be a $158K build. Even at the current price though, that is only a 9% discount. For an almost 2 year old demo with that many miles on it, I would have thought the price drop due to depreciation would have been much more significant.

That's when I wonder if it is better to just order a 2019 and get exactly what I wanted. I assume that this point dealers are discounting custom orders on 2019s? Or are the allocations for those cars still hard to come by in Ontario?

I have spoken with a few dealers about it, but I get conflicting answers and I get the feeling that they are perhaps taking advantage of my naivety and pushing me towards a more difficult to sell vehicle, or making it sound like getting an allocation at MSRP is even tough to do.

My apologies for asking so many questions, but with the 992 around the corner, I'm trying not to make my first 911 purchase a poor decision.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

You can bet those are not an easy 11k either.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are ordering new I would wait for the 992. Also,when the 992 comes out, the 991.2 will drop in price. The engine in the 992 will be very similar to the 991.2.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Soundstream
Track Day

Originally Posted by theiceman
You can bet those are not an easy 11k either.
My understanding was that an "executive demo" was simply driven as a daily driver by a Porsche Canada executive. It wasn't used on the lot for customer test drives.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:45 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Is there a way to find out if this was a 911 used for Porsche Experience? I wouldn't want one of those.

When I was Porsche hunting late last year, I realized that most CPO cars and any 911 at a dealership is only marked down a tiny bit from MSRP. When you figure in any discount that the original buyer may have gotten over list, I really got turned off buying any used Porsche from a dealer. So we ordered one exactly how we wanted it. The only downside to this are you will have to wait to get your car. It may be months to even a year. Also you will spend an inordinate amount of time on the configurator site.

In the end we decided that buying new was the way to go.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:42 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

I'd shop around..not a deal at all.

My nephew just scored an 18 C4S with 4,600kms for $122k from a Porsche dealer so there's deals to be had out there. As this "executive" demo is a 17 its now 2-3 model years old and as such I'd go new.

For example, you can still order a new 18 C4S which start at $127,900...add on the configuration you want and you'd still be way ahead. The new 992 series 2019 cars will be available for order late fall or early new year and you won't see them land in Canada until summer (for C2, etc).

I don't buy the MSRP ordering only rationale as you are essentially asking to order a 991.2 which I know from some U.S. buddies are still readily available for factory order. Go to every single GTA and Quebec dealer and see who's willing to bite. I even know there are PTS slots available but you'd have to act fast...
Old 07-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Soundstream
Track Day

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
My nephew just scored an 18 C4S with 4,600kms for $122k from a Porsche dealer so there's deals to be had out there. As this "executive" demo is a 17 its now 2-3 model years old and as such I'd go new.
I am a bit more worried now about the use of the "executive demo". I didn't realize they may have been used for the Porsche Experience driving.

I'd love to find a deal on an '18 like your nephew. Except for one in Quebec, they all appear to be advertised at $150K+

Any idea on what would be a realistic discount to expect on a 2019 factory order?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:06 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Soundstream
I am a bit more worried now about the use of the "executive demo". I didn't realize they may have been used for the Porsche Experience driving.

I'd love to find a deal on an '18 like your nephew. Except for one in Quebec, they all appear to be advertised at $150K+

Any idea on what would be a realistic discount to expect on a 2019 factory order?
If you are ordering the new 992 series car I doubt you'll get more than 2% off; but do shop around. I've bought from the Winnipeg dealer and Porsche Prestige in Montreal as well as Pfaff, Oakville and London..don't be afraid to do so.
In the eyes of our lovely dealers its the "hot car" and everyone wants one. They will play that game for a while until things normalize (additional models/variants released). When they release the 992 I think only C2, C4 will be available with C2S and C4S following late spring....so you're in for a wait and double check with the dealers.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Soundstream
My understanding was that an "executive demo" was simply driven as a daily driver by a Porsche Canada executive. It wasn't used on the lot for customer test drives.
uh huh !!!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Soundstream
Track Day

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
If you are ordering the new 992 series car I doubt you'll get more than 2% off; but do shop around. I've bought from the Winnipeg dealer and Porsche Prestige in Montreal as well as Pfaff, Oakville and London..don't be afraid to do so.
In the eyes of our lovely dealers its the "hot car" and everyone wants one. They will play that game for a while until things normalize (additional models/variants released). When they release the 992 I think only C2, C4 will be available with C2S and C4S following late spring....so you're in for a wait and double check with the dealers.
I was referring to ordering a 991.2. Sorry if I got the years wrong, but I thought that 2019 was still 991.2.

I had just assumed that 992 would be at MSRP - I am not expecting that to be discounted anything at all when they first start taking orders.

I'm not sure I want to wait for the 992. I honestly don't think the rear-end is an improvement (based on that yellow spy car pic I saw), and while I like the look of the new interior controls, I like the physical buttons of the current generation.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I think the point is once 992 comes out 991 prices will fall if you are concerned about retaining value or pricing.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Soundstream
Track Day

Originally Posted by theiceman
I think the point is once 992 comes out 991 prices will fall if you are concerned about retaining value or pricing.
I am sure they will - regardless of my personal thoughts on the 992. Hence why I am trying to avoid overpaying for one now.

However, I am also not sure I want to wait a full year or more.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:25 PM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

you can consider buying one off the dealer's inventory (as long you are not very picky in color & options), I would think 3-4% off is doable.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:30 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

If you ordered one today, I think the earliest you would get delivery is October. Why miss out on the rest of the summer? Look for a .2 at a dealer and tell them this is the price you are willing to pay and you will buy it today. I agree with bobblehead that you should be able to get 3-4% and if they really want to move the car, maybe 5%.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:14 PM
Soundstream
Track Day

Originally Posted by moab
If you ordered one today, I think the earliest you would get delivery is October. Why miss out on the rest of the summer? Look for a .2 at a dealer and tell them this is the price you are willing to pay and you will buy it today. I agree with bobblehead that you should be able to get 3-4% and if they really want to move the car, maybe 5%.
For me October is fine. I've got a Boxster S that will tide me over until then.

And unfortunately, I am picky. But then again, maybe I am overthinking options. My Boxster S isn't exactly what I wanted, but have learned to just enjoy the car for what it is. After driving it for the last year or so, I find myself worrying less about the missing features and design choices.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on current Ontario 991.2 pricing, availability, discounts, etc.