911 Turbo build - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 06:21 PM
Jim Sab
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Turbo build - Help!

Hi All,

So glad I found this forum! It's been a spectacular resource.

Let's start with the obvious - EVERYTHING IS PERSONAL CHOICE, and I WILL DO what makes me HAPPY!

That said, I am genuinely torn on many of the options! What started off as exciting has become somewhat overwhelming with the unlimited options! Here are my main considerations:

1) Chalk / GT Silver / or maybe even Miami Blue! I can truly go in any direction on this, I can't decide! Any feedback would be appreciated.

2) Aero Kit or no aero kit? My thoughts on this: I love the clean lines without the aero kit, but also love the aggressive look with the aero kit. Especially in gloss black. Thoughts?

In all scenarios, every black option will be selected (head lights, tail lights, side intakes, rear intakes, door handles, mirrors, etc) ... the black will accentuate the colour of the car and vice versa. Resale value is not a huge consideration as I plan to keep the car for 7-10 years.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:35 PM
Jim Sab
8th Gear

GT Silver

Miami Blue

Chalk

GT Silver

Miami Blue

Chalk
Old 06-20-2018, 07:23 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 334 Posts

I love chalk but say no to aerokit.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:52 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

congrats on taking the plunge!

imo long run, gt silver is a classic, and will look amazing for years to come. i like chalk but at some point i worry it might begin to look dated.

aerokit on gt silver looks great, i've seen it on a couple cars already. the contrast is really nice, especially if you go all the black accent pieces on the exterior.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:56 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

silver with aerokit :-)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:36 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
I love chalk but say no to aerokit.
I second this.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:50 AM
CDNRay
Advanced

.2 Turbo is awesome, congrats on the upcoming purchase! I have a Lava Orange RS and have a Miami Blue Targa that is currently being built. At first I didn't like the Chalk, but it has really grown on me. Personally, I like the aerokit, if you do as well, do it. Love the idea of black trim, did the same on my Targa. Hope to see you around at the track!
Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,161 Likes on 832 Posts

Lol a " build" means something so different these days. Guess its not cool to say " option picking "
Old 06-21-2018, 12:38 PM
Jim Sab
8th Gear

Thanks for all the feedback. It helps alot.

Here are my thoughts on the 'chalk' colour: When I saw it in person inside the showroom, it was the most beautiful colour I had ever seen on a car. Then, I saw a chalk porsche in a parking lot, and it was just OK. Meaning, in my opinion, if the car is not immaculately clean, it can look like a more dull grey. But, I guess that can be true of any colour really, they all look good in the showroom ... but I especially noticed it with the chalk
Old 06-22-2018, 11:07 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

GT Silver, aerokit and black / bordeaux interior. Classic, timeless and long-term enjoyment as well as a bit of pop inside.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:43 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Colour is way too personal and I wouldn't base my order on what other people think. Chalk seems to be all the rage these days and it does look good on certain Porsches, but IMO, a bit boring. Silver is classic, but also boring. If I were ordering, it would be Carmine, which is not even on your short list. If I had to choose from the 3 you mentioned, it would probably be silver. I love blues, but Miami is not my favourite and I would probably tire of it.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:45 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 351 Posts

silver no aerokit
Old 06-23-2018, 02:32 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 616 Posts

Aerokit looks definitely better and makes the car look like it's a more expensive/exotic model. It's overpriced for a bunch of plastic, but the visual impact it has is significant.

Chalk is getting old quickly. It's cool because it's new but starts to look like poorly maintained white or silver car rather quickly.

GT Silver vs. MB is an interesting choice. I went with MB for my turbo because it makes the car look less boring and more exciting to walk up to. And I don't mind the attention and I live in an area where there are many supercars, so MB Turbo is not over the top for most here. It also looks like summer :-), which is a plus in a cloudy Pacific North West. I also have a theory that brighter car get dined less because people notice them and pay attention more. So far it's been proven - my red and blue daily drivers got dinged less than once a year while silver and black one got dinged at least every 3 months or so.

But if I needed to be a bit more low-key or lived in an area where 911 is already a novelty, GT Silver would be my choice. It's the frontrunner for my upcoming RS - RS is loud and not boring by itself, so it can work well with a more conservative color. It's a very nice classic color.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:42 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 616 Posts

Oh, and if you consider Miami, make sure you see it in person. It's inaccurate on practically all photos due to the type of the composition of the paint. It does not look pastel in real life - it's very bright blue with a green undertone, like sea water on a bright sunny day. So make sure it's not too bright for you and you do not expect pastel or pure blue color. This photo, for example, does not show the green tint enough.

Quick Reply: 911 Turbo build - Help!