Notices

Tranny flush for Summer driven Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 04:13 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Tranny flush for Summer driven Boxster S

My 2001 Boxster S hasn't had a tranny fluid flush since I bought it in 2009! Don't know if it had one before I bought it.

Anyways, my local shop can get in:

Fuch's Titan Sintopoid 75w90 GL5
Motul Gear 300 75w90(?)
LiquiMoly LM 2048 75w90 GL5

I want to do a tranny flush before the London Porsche Trackday on Friday, so I settled on the Liqui Moly.... should be in tomorrow, and I'll RR the fluid tomorrw evening...

...finger's crossed
Old 05-23-2018, 11:23 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

ask for a sample of the old fluid?
Or at least get the tech's comments on condition....
Or if you're doing it? report back.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:36 PM
petee_c
Drifting

A few tiny metal flecks at the bottom of my drain pan.

Clear hose routed from wheel well to tranny fill port.
Caught some mid stream tranny fluid just in case I want to send it off for analysis.

Visual characteristics ... Both the old fluid and the new fluid are less viscous than what I pictured ​75w90 fluid to be. Not an overly powerful gear oil smell to it. Color of fluid that came out was like a strong tea or weak black coffee.

A few small metal bits in the bottom of my catch pan.

​I couldn't find a transfer pump that I trusted at home, so I filled via gravity and squeeze method. The liqui moly bottles come with a tube to facilitate transfer of fluid, but I could not fit the bottle in there. I ran about a 5' piece of clear 1/2" hose from the fill port up above the exhaust and over the driver rear tire. I taped it in a couple spots so that it stayed put. From beside the car, I squeezed the tranny fluid into the 1/2" tube and filled the tranny that way. Took a couple minutes to do each 1L bottle. I did have the bottles sitting in a Paul of hot water to make them easier to pour, but at 20c ambient temp, I don't think I needed to do that.

Not crush washer on my tranny, so I didn't install one when I buttoned it back up.

​​​​​​Took it for a 15 minute test at drive in the country. The thing shifts like a Honda, which in my book is a good thing. I like it, and think it's improved, but could also be placebo effect.

Here s hoping the attachments work.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:25 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 252 Likes on 195 Posts

I opted for original Porsche fluid when I flushed the transmission oil out on my 996. I had considered aftermarket oils, but stuck with original as it was the most accessible (and cheapest!)
Old 05-24-2018, 12:35 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
I opted for original Porsche fluid when I flushed the transmission oil out on my 996. I had considered aftermarket oils, but stuck with original as it was the most accessible (and cheapest!)
Really?

Closest pcar dealerships are over 1 hr away...

I paid under $26 /L for the Liqui Moly LM 2048 synthetic 75w90 gl5 gear oil...

Hopefully it lasts, although I think I'll change it out before 17 yrs this time....

Peter
Old 05-24-2018, 12:50 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Duplicate sorry
Old 05-24-2018, 01:47 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 252 Likes on 195 Posts

Oh, this was in Vancouver, and it was offered to me at wholesale rates through the independent shop I took the car to. The car was at least 10 years old and the mileage was so low, so I chose to flush out the old oil for new. I didn't track the car, so it didn't matter to me.

Quick Reply: Tranny flush for Summer driven Boxster S