Notices

US indicts Winterkorn re Dieselgate...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:51 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts
Default US indicts Winterkorn re Dieselgate...

https://jalopnik.com/ex-volkswagen-c...ged-1825755191

Who's next??
Old 05-03-2018, 07:09 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Trump...?
Old 05-04-2018, 11:09 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

I wonder if anyone will ever make a movie about the kids in University who exposed one of the biggest scandals in modern automotive history .
Old 05-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
I wonder if anyone will ever make a movie about the kids in University who exposed one of the biggest scandals in modern automotive history .
You’ve got a good idea there! Can you imagine the look on their faces on the first highway test as they drive along and start looking at the readouts? They actually changed cars several times and did multiple tests because they couldn’t believe what they were seeing.

To think that their professor got the idea for this project and borrowed the equipment for his students because he felt that VW was doing a ‘great job’ and wanted to understand how VW could do it and why other manufacturers should follow their lead...

As I understood it, no one in the project suspected VW of tampering - they just wanted to prove to others that it could be done.

Any film made wont have a German director or financing!!
Old 05-04-2018, 11:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker

You’ve got a good idea there! Can you imagine the look on their faces on the first highway test as they drive along and start looking at the readouts? They actually changed cars several times and did multiple tests because they couldn’t believe what they were seeing.

To think that their professor got the idea for this project and borrowed the equipment for his students because he felt that VW was doing a ‘great job’ and wanted to understand how VW could do it and why other manufacturers should follow their lead...

As I understood it, no one in the project suspected VW of tampering - they just wanted to prove to others that it could be done.

Any film made wont have a German director or financing!!
I was surprised how many arrests and raids were actually made by German authorities. But you have to wonder if they are pandering to the big bad US though.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I dont think its over.

Agree that the original discoverers had zero malicious intent and were as surprised as could be by their discovery.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
I was surprised how many arrests and raids were actually made by German authorities. But you have to wonder if they are pandering to the big bad US though.
I thought about that - although one has to wonder how hard the US can push considering how many direct jobs in the US depend on VAG if they pulled out of the US market in protest. 20 years ago that wouldn’t have been considered but now that the US market is only 1/3 of VAG car sales and the sudden Chinese agreement to reduce import taxes on foreign cars as well as a rumoured reduction in the mandatory 51% Chinese ownership of all foreign operations means VAG has options...

VW employs 62000 Americans across many congressional and senate districts which doesn’t include parts suppliers and employees of store franchises, nor does that number include other VAG brand (Porsche, Audi etc) employees.

VW ex CEO’s fall guys are easy targets - less so the VW line employee in Tennessee...

Quick Reply: US indicts Winterkorn re Dieselgate...