Notices

Thoughts on my new to me 911 vs my old cayman s

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:42 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by palmpalm
So I’m now considering a 2015 cayman gts. Thoughts on this vs my 991 and if it will be a better drivers car?
Only you can decide which car is the better one for you. Try to test drive then on the same day to compare. The feedback that you get in the forums should only serve to educate. You gotta drive both as we all have different lines/dislikes and priorities when shopping for a car.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:45 AM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by nowakm99

Only you can decide which car is the better one for you. Try to test drive then on the same day to compare. The feedback that you get in the forums should only serve to educate. You gotta drive both as we all have different lines/dislikes and priorities when shopping for a car.
yes, thanks. I plan on it. Just want to hear from
those here who have experience I don’t have.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 173 Posts

Why not buy a low km 987.2(if you can find one) and call it a day with some cash left over
Old 05-11-2018, 06:22 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
987 cayman s/r are fun up to 7-8 tenths... mods make them fun up to the limit... my 987 r was bgb'd with a 911 3.8 and suspension mods - it is an absolute hoot, a thrill going slow or fast... this having been said... these are narrow, short wheel base cars with a compromised rear suspension design so ultimately they hit their limits of performance... but this does not diminish their fun factor one bit

991 has a far superior (larger wider stiffer) platform and modern suspension tech - it can thrill but only at VERY high speeds... at road going speeds 95% of the time they are just boring... too competent too unflappable too protective of the driver lacking skill/coordination... i say 991's engender a sense of awe in their engineering and their capability... but they do not stir passions so well... even when I am driving them fast I feel like the car is doing too much of the work of driving very fast for me. I am at the wheel but I am spectator more than participant.

older cars are smaller, cruder, less perfect ... but their imperfections, lack of tech, lower limits make them more exciting and thus elicits driver's emotional reaction and connection -- it was said in another RL thread that these machines are just tools/instruments to stir feelings and create great stories/memories... many if not most modern sports cars seem to miss that boat

997/987 perhaps 996 (gt3) might be the sweet spot between old and new ... 991 gen clearly a bridge too far
Well said!
Old 05-12-2018, 12:02 AM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

So I've now driven a 981 Cayman GTS and a 718 Cayman S and I definitely prefer the way they handle and the road feel to my 991. But I wasn't in love with the turbo 4 on the 718 and the 981 GTS wasn't a huge enough difference that I am sure I should make the trade. Interestingly enough I am thinking of checking out a Macan GTS... I am hoping to get the new GT4 in 1-2 years when it comes out and so whatever car I have now is sort of an in between car. Since I feel my 991 is too luxurious and not raw enough at road speed I wonder if a luxury SUV like the Macan GTS will be more satisfying to me because I won't expect it to be all that sporty but it will be while still being even more luxurious than the 991. Basically I feel like I might feel less bad about it...as odd as that sounds.

I want to love the 718 but I can't mentally get past going from a naturally aspirated flat 6 that sounds amazing to that 4 banger turbo.... and as much as I liked the GTS it will cost me more coin to get into and I'm not sure it is worth it....

These problems, of course, are GREAT problems to have. First world +. We are all very fortunate to be able to own and enjoy these wonderful feats of engineering.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:57 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

So after 1.5 months of trying to convince myself to love my 991.1 Carrera and a few weeks of worrying about driving in Montreal in winter I almost pulled the trigger on a Macan GTS this morning when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a 2011 997.2 C4S cabriolet. Drove it. Bought it. Making the actual trade next week when it's ready (CPO needs to be done, etc., etc.). Probably will enjoy it more and will probably be better in winter than the c2.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:48 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Congrats! The 997.2 is definitely my favourite generation of the 911. Great choice.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:08 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 327 Posts

Hydraulic power steering FTW.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:01 AM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nowakm99
Congrats! The 997.2 is definitely my favourite generation of the 911. Great choice.
Thanks!
Old 06-11-2018, 10:03 AM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ekam
Hydraulic power steering FTW.
Yes, the steering feels much much better to me.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:13 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I just drove a 2018 Carrera T to MTL and back for the F1. Drove the manual version over a few days a couple of weeks ago as well. Best recent 911 I've driven. Steering felt like 991.1 RS...whole car was flat, taut, rigid. It did have the carbon buckets which make you feel much more connected to the car. A bit painful for 5 hour drive and almost impossible to get in and out of at 6'5"...

That said, even a paired down CarreraT is a fair chunk of cash.

I just bought a 996 GT3...a first I thought it just kinda felt like an old car especially compared to the Viper but it's grown on me. I should get it back this week with all new tires, brakes and alignment. It's as solid as a bank vault. And you are CONNECTED to it!

The other thing of course is that there's really nothing that drives as well as a Cayman S...
Old 06-13-2018, 09:03 AM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LastMezger

The other thing of course is that there's really nothing that drives as well as a Cayman S...
Yes, I've learned this.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:50 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by palmpalm
Yes, I've learned this.
It's a mid-engined Porsche...what's going to handle better than that and have better steering and brake feel? Nothin', that's what. I've owned R8 V10, Ferraris, the Viper...they're all great in some way but the Cayman S is, frankly, the best driving sports car ever made. I'd have one if it weren't for the fact I'm 6'5" and I find it a bit too tight.

Though I might be willing to squeeze into this...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my new to me 911 vs my old cayman s