Notices

Wear and Tear or Shoddy Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:32 PM
Class VI
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wear and Tear or Shoddy Paint Job?

Hey Everyone,
Without going into full details (if you want them - search for my post about valet damage from a year ago) I had a new rear bumper installed last spring at a Porsche approved body shop, I'll leave their name out. This was a brand new piece, instead of a repaint on my original bumper. Fast forward six months and I'm washing it and notice little black pieces on my wash mitt. I look closer at the bumper and notice it's starting to peel in both wheel wells. I contacted the shop that did the work and sent in photos since I'm 1.5 hours away. I was told to hold tight while they consulted with a manager on what to do. Then there was no contact and no responses for quite a while, even after leaving repeated voice messages and emails. I eventually learned that my contact there had left and obviously my messages weren't being forwarded on. I finally arranged a time to take it in which brings us to last week. I took the car in and got a huge runaround about how this was wear and tear caused by stone chips, it's normal, and that they don't consider it to be a warranty issue (BTW - Stored indoors, no winter use with this bumper, hand washed, no dirt/gravel roads) After a long "discussion" they agreed to do a one-time repaint of it. I guess I should be happy they're doing this, but I was floored that I had to fight to get it, as it seemed to me to be very obvious that this was more than just stone chips.

See the attached pics and video link at the bottom and let me know what you think. Am I crazy, or should a 6 month old paint job by a top-tier shop on a brand new bumper not be able to hold up better than this?

Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Porsche Bumper Paint.wmv (4.76 MB, 23 views)
Old 03-26-2018, 10:12 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I am no expert but no paint job will be as good as the original from factory but it sounds like shoddy work. The rear wheel well get a lot of sand blast from dirt kicking up but it should have stood up to more wear then that though maybe not enough flex in the paint mix.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:59 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with Greg, looks like poor workmanship to me. Here's the rub: they're probably just going to at best give it a quick hand-sand then paint over it. Wouldn't surprise me at all if you saw this again in another year or 2. Chances are you'll need to get it redone. The upshot is that even though that sucks, it's a bumper which can be easily removed, prepped and painted. Much better than a door panel or something like that.

If my prediction comes true, definitely post the shop's name. And mention it to the dealer who recommended them. They'd probably want to know about that.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:05 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

bumper wasn't prepped right or primer/paints were bad/mismatched...job done wrong
The following users liked this post:
dgasmd (01-14-2021)
Old 03-27-2018, 12:00 AM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks to me like the plastic surface was not cleaned and prepared properly. I would take it to another body shop and have their painter look at if for a second opinion.
The following users liked this post:
dgasmd (01-14-2021)
Old 03-27-2018, 08:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

painting plastic and having it adhere aftermarket is tough , but this definitely looks done wrong. i would not even go back , just take it somewhere else and pay to have it done right. yes money out of pocket, but if he does not stand behind his work and eagerly wants a chance to fix it, then i would just not take my car back there.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Being a new bumper it would of been painted off the car. Maybe they had a paint issue, but probably the prep wasn't done right
Old 03-27-2018, 09:56 AM
Class VI
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses, glad to hear I'm not alone in thinking this is unacceptable. My thought was bad prep too since everything is peeling right down to the bare plastic. I had left it with them and it's my understanding it's being done right now. I agree with a few of you that another opinion would be beneficial, but I honestly thought once they saw it they'd own up to it, so had planned to leave it with them right from the start. I'm in Niagara, so trips to all the approved shops around T.O take time.
I'm going to give them this one chance to redo it properly, but if it does happen again then I'll be posting up who it is and I think a lot of people would be surprised.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:58 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Real shoddy. Looks like they sprayed over dirt. Should out 'em anyway. They don't deserve our business.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:06 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

poor quality prep or not enough flex in the paint. Get it redone but try to leave the car for as short a time as possible in the body shop. Body shops are the worst place for your car to be as they often get scratched, oversprayed etc..
Good luck.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:32 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Class VI
Thanks for all the responses, glad to hear I'm not alone in thinking this is unacceptable. My thought was bad prep too since everything is peeling right down to the bare plastic. I had left it with them and it's my understanding it's being done right now. I agree with a few of you that another opinion would be beneficial, but I honestly thought once they saw it they'd own up to it, so had planned to leave it with them right from the start. I'm in Niagara, so trips to all the approved shops around T.O take time.
I'm going to give them this one chance to redo it properly, but if it does happen again then I'll be posting up who it is and I think a lot of people would be surprised.
Not much surprises us anymore
Old 03-28-2018, 10:14 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
poor quality prep or not enough flex in the paint. Get it redone but try to leave the car for as short a time as possible in the body shop. Body shops are the worst place for your car to be as they often get scratched, oversprayed etc..
Good luck.
x2 - not proper prep and not enough flex agent.
If the original shop is redoing the work, painting over the incorect prep will just have the problem reapear.
Most likely needs to be stripped and started again from scratch.
I like my parts painted off the car, if possible.

Quick Reply: Wear and Tear or Shoddy Paint Job?