Notices

Investment discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 06:00 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 334 Posts

If I had to do it all over again, I would have married rich.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:01 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 832 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
I think the key to financial success is quite simple.
Spend less than you earn. Foolproof.

Just like 'eat less, exercise more'.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:12 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Spend less than you earn. Foolproof.
That would be rule 2.

As I progressed through my career, increasing my salary, my lifestyle didn’t really change. Probably took 5 years before we started to spend money on more frivolous items.

I also believe in paying it forward and have increased my charitable contributions and also help out my nieces/necessary and my best friends kids. Treat these kids as my own.

I actually have a hard time spending 20 but on garbage.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:08 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,285 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Nice catch! Use fee based advisor, ignore commissioned salesmen..............sorry....salesperson!
This is what I thought you meant and is good advice as everyone's interests are aligned.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:26 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I borrowed against my home to come up with the 20% down and closing costs on a 3 unit home.

After renting it, I cash flow $1000/month positive over all costs.

In addition to the $12k/year cash flow (minus a few expenses, but not much) $19k of the principal was paid down by the tenants last year.

That’s also not factoring in appreciation. Toronto has seen an average of 7% YOY of homes over the past 42 years.

I eneed up borrowing from that rental to do it all over with a second.

There will I’ll be upstairs and downs in the market but I’m 37, so I have time to rides the cycles and in the meantime, value of the homes aside, I’ll be collecting rent and more mortgages will be paid by someone else.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:54 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Delete....

Last edited by Henley1; 03-24-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:49 AM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace
I borrowed against my home to come up with the 20% down and closing costs on a 3 unit home.

After renting it, I cash flow $1000/month positive over all costs.

In addition to the $12k/year cash flow (minus a few expenses, but not much) $19k of the principal was paid down by the tenants last year.

That’s also not factoring in appreciation. Toronto has seen an average of 7% YOY of homes over the past 42 years.

I eneed up borrowing from that rental to do it all over with a second.

There will I’ll be upstairs and downs in the market but I’m 37, so I have time to rides the cycles and in the meantime, value of the homes aside, I’ll be collecting rent and more mortgages will be paid by someone else.

Nice. It's not easy to find cash flow (after paying principal) positive rentals but they are out there. With the cost of property being so high I think there will be a strong rental market for quite a while. The stock market has its positives but for some reason I still like the feeling of hard assets like property. Just need to make sure to get good tenants. Happy returns.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Some people believe in only investing in either stock market or some only in Real Estate investments. I believe both is the key to long term success, my real estate investments pay for my lifestyle and the excess gets invested in stock etc. this way the up and downs are not important since I don't depend on investments in the market. I have never spend any funds that are invested in the market but I have leveraged real estate. Then there are tax advantages like depreciation and exchange deals with real estate that are helpful.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:18 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Nice. It's not easy to find cash flow (after paying principal) positive rentals but they are out there. With the cost of property being so high I think there will be a strong rental market for quite a while. The stock market has its positives but for some reason I still like the feeling of hard assets like property. Just need to make sure to get good tenants. Happy returns.
Both my properties have location challenges that kept the price down (one backs onto train tracks and the other is right beside a subway station) but that didn’t affect the rent I could generate. Both were partially owner occupied with low rents in the other suite(s). I bought with vacant possession so I could choose tenants & rent.

But they are are both in locations I see a lot of growth in (one has had a flurry of trendy restaurants open a block away and is an 8min walk to one of the proposed Smart Track stations) and the other is a 1min wall to the subway with a number of condo projects proposed nearby and the GO Station a 6min wall away.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:51 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Thanks for the comments - all very interesting. I kicked off the thread a few days ago and don't like to post and run!

My question was worded as generically as possible on purpose so it would get the widest response - I didn't want it to be specifically about me since this is a question that gets asked all the time by many of us. Really appreciate the experiences shared.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-25-2018, 11:23 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,285 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
If I had to do it all over again, I would have married rich.
Financial planning 101, if you can accomplish this all else is redundant...
Old 03-25-2018, 08:08 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steam_mill
Always an interesting topic....

As I have explained to my financial advisor, if I make an extra $50k on investments this year, my life will be unchanged. I wouldn't even think about it. If I lost $1k, I would be really upset. This is my issue and I am very risk averse.

That being said, by age 36, I had my Toronto home and Kawartha 90 minutes from 401/404 cottage paid off. I am a dink. Nonetheless, wife and I worked really hard.

I think the key to financial success is quite simple. Do not finance depreciating assets. Corollary is to pay your debt as soon as possible. Pay cash for everything. I have never financed a car, a boat or any of my toys.

My first world problem is promised myself a 911.....and there is no inventory! (my own fault, too picky).
So you disagree with the idea of financing depreciating assets to park your money in income producing investments?
Old 03-26-2018, 12:43 PM
AlexanderB
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The finance depreciating asset to park money in income producing investments is always an interesting discussion. Ex. Finance car at 3.5% and put the difference between buying and the down payment into investments that will hopefully make more than 3.5%.

It depends on how the person treats debt. I hate the idea of it and have none currently. So I wouldn't finance the car in the example.

For general finance
1. Live on less than you earn
2. Don't spend unnecessarily
3. Invest what you don't spend
Old 03-26-2018, 12:50 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

However you are ignoring the power of leverage. In the case of properties, discussed earlier, it's possible to buy a property with fully financed monies that are being repaid by the rental revenues, including principal. So for no real cash outlay you can, with the right properties, have someone make all your payments for you while you have a place paid for. Now in the case of property is not as passive as pure stocks but I think every investment requires some time and effort. Its not for everyone of course.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:56 PM
AlexanderB
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's very true, Real Estate Investing is a different animal.

You need to make sure that the property will cash flow properly, and have an emergency fund in case something goes wrong (Ex. roof leak)

It's something that I'm extremely interested in and will be looking at getting into within a few years.

Quick Reply: Investment discussion