Notices

OT - Treatment outside Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 03:08 PM
w00zie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - Treatment outside Canada

Just looking for some input or experiences out there.

Has anyone personally or know of anyone who has had treatment for cancer in the US vs treatment in Canada?

I see a lot of these commercials now on TV about Cancer centers, but looking for input if anyone knows of someone who's had success getting treatment down there (or even any comparison between US and Canadian systems)

Thanks
Old 03-18-2018, 04:37 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by w00zie
Just looking for some input or experiences out there.

Has anyone personally or know of anyone who has had treatment for cancer in the US vs treatment in Canada?

I see a lot of these commercials now on TV about Cancer centers, but looking for input if anyone knows of someone who's had success getting treatment down there (or even any comparison between US and Canadian systems)

Thanks
I have a good friend that is battling it now and has been seaking alternatives outside of Canada. Here is his story.

https://www.gofundme.com/brads-fight
Old 03-18-2018, 05:36 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

God, whoever it is, I wish them (you) the very best.

If money is no object, this place is pretty high up on most lists.

https://www.mdanderson.org
Old 03-19-2018, 12:38 AM
terene
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Being a Cancer patient myself I can relate, you are always looking for answers. . I was referred to Utopia Wellness in Florida by some folks that I have met over the years from PA. that were dealing with Cancer. To avoid surgery they went the Holistic route and are very pleased with the result. The clinic is in / Oldsmar Florida / ph: 727.799.9060 . Carlos M. Garcia M.D , Director of Medicine. www. utopiawellness.com I would also look at being referred to Princess Margaret / Toronto General in Toronto , I have found them to be excellent. I am so glad that I got a second opinion from them otherwise I may not be here today. Folks come from all over Canada to get treatment there, Best of luck with your journey I hope this is if some benefit.
Terry
Old 03-19-2018, 11:50 AM
w00zie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terene
Being a Cancer patient myself I can relate, you are always looking for answers. . I was referred to Utopia Wellness in Florida by some folks that I have met over the years from PA. that were dealing with Cancer. To avoid surgery they went the Holistic route and are very pleased with the result. The clinic is in / Oldsmar Florida / ph: 727.799.9060 . Carlos M. Garcia M.D , Director of Medicine. www. utopiawellness.com I would also look at being referred to Princess Margaret / Toronto General in Toronto , I have found them to be excellent. I am so glad that I got a second opinion from them otherwise I may not be here today. Folks come from all over Canada to get treatment there, Best of luck with your journey I hope this is if some benefit.
Terry
Thanks, will def look into, happy to hear you've experienced positive results
On my second 'fight', 1st one being a Stage III which was resolved with radiation, surgery then chemo. Fast forward a year and its back at Stage IV (and one of these 'rare' ones as they like to put it) Been thru the chemo, onco (ended up with a bit of a bonehead) says his answer is 1000 rounds or "as long as your body can take it" - Went to Mt Sinai and met a new dr who does surgery that can take it out but risky and 15hrs long (which as of this morning i found out i'm booked for) - and my wonderful onco called it 'a shot in the dark' --- some of these doctors are great, but other I guess just see so much of it lose any sense of how to deal with people
But what got me what my discussion with Mt Sinai surgeon about other treatments like immuno etc.., he said that we're a behind in Cananda, but proceeded to say 'in a year we might be having a whole different discussion'
I called a few of the centers in the US, but all they seem to want is $$ to assess then tell you plan, and i'm at a bit of a crossroad. Put on hold upcoming surgery, look at US options and potentially give it time to grow more then have no recourse. When I found out it was back I switched over to a plant based diet and found that energy wise and general 'feeling' was up drastically.
I will reach out to Utopia
Thank you for sharing
Old 03-19-2018, 12:56 PM
terene
Advanced

I forgot to mention Wellspring, they are a Cancer support organization with a number of locations in SW Ontario.one of which is located on 6th line in Oakville . When going through the process I found it to be as hard , if not harder on my wife. Wellspring offers so many programs , exercise , cooking/ nutrition , meditation, counselling , etc etc. for both your spouse and yourself. I am currently taking their extended exercise program at the ymca in Oakville. They have been so beneficial in assisting with "our" recovery, Highly recommend contacting them . Their number is 905.257.1988 . Good luck I am sure you will be pleased that you contacted them,
Terry
Old 03-19-2018, 02:54 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Interesting story here:
https://regina.ctvnews.ca/woman-in-r...cuba-1.3841782
Old 03-19-2018, 06:46 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

I can't answer your question but wanted to wish you all the best with the fight!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:01 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What type of cancer?

Unfortunately, my family has been touched by this more than once. We always managed to get great care in Canada, but you need to know where to go and who to see and that varies by cancer type.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:07 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jamie140
God, whoever it is, I wish them (you) the very best.

If money is no object, this place is pretty high up on most lists.

https://www.mdanderson.org
Lucky so far but if it runs out this is where I'm heading....
Old 03-21-2018, 06:23 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

I would avoid the Mexican and Caribbean Clinics, as they often promise false hope for a profit. The doctors in Canada are excellent, but gene-specific therapy (or Personalized Cancer Therapy) is a relatively new way looking at cancer that has shown very promising results, and as of yet is not widely used here. The current way of cancer treatment is to target a specific cancer with a standard chemotherapy regime, for example, all breast cancers are treated with the same agents. With gene-specific therapy, they identify the particular mutation in that cancer, and look at agents that target that mutation. This is probably the most exciting and promising area of cancer research that we have had in a while.

This is done at a few centres in the US, including Mt. Sinai in New York, MD Anderson and UCSD. I would discuss with your Oncologist about options or research available here.
More info is here:

https://health.ucsd.edu/specialties/...s/default.aspx
https://www.mdanderson.org/research/...r-therapy.html
http://icahn.mssm.edu/research/perso...r-therapeutics
http://www.mountsinai.org/about/news...ancer-patients

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:45 PM
terene
Advanced

w00zie see private message and let me know if you would like to discuss further..
terene

Quick Reply: OT - Treatment outside Canada