Notices

Anybody know anything about this 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:08 PM
HyperMike
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know anything about this 996 Turbo?

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the forum and to the P-car game. I've been researching tons over the winter to help me decide what I want for my first Porsche and I've pretty much decided on a 996 Turbo. There seem to be a few available in different parts of the country (I'm in Calgary and unfortunately there are none around here at the moment). This car caught my eye and I was wondering if anybody in ON knows anything about it:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/porsche/9...%205P4&sprx=-1

To me it seems a little "too good to be true" at that price. It's clearly been for sale for a long while as all the photos were from Summer or Fall and the price has been dropped significantly (a total of about $17K) but at the current price it seems like a smoking deal...I even dig the red interior!

Anyway, if anybody has any info on it (good or bad!) I'd love to hear about it...Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-09-2018, 02:52 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Get someone to do a "Rennfax" on it. IE, they go and have a look at the car for you.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:52 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

No meaningful info for you but this 996TT was at the road track @ Cayuga same day I was there last fall. Had the same dealer plates and all. At that price, and on the market this long, there has to be a history with this car. 996TT and 997TT are gaining in value for clean examples.

I know of an unadvertised 2001 Seal Gray 996TT for sale @ $65k asking. 80,000 km and fully setup for DE with complete suspension setup, bar, harnesses, GT3 seats, Trofeo R's, Girodisc etc... Not a mint street car that will look perfect at cars and coffee. But a track beast that has been setup properly and very well maintained. I can connect you in the event you're interested.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2018, 03:16 PM
cpt_slow
Instructor

This car has been for sale for a Loooong time. I think there may even be another thread on it. The seller said it was going to Barrett Jackson or something crazy like that. It's like 15 minutes from my house though.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:45 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cpt_slow
This car has been for sale for a Loooong time. I think there may even be another thread on it. The seller said it was going to Barrett Jackson or something crazy like that. It's like 15 minutes from my house though.
Good memory!

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...-01-996tt.html
Old 03-09-2018, 03:47 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
No meaningful info for you but this 996TT was at the road track @ Cayuga same day I was there last fall. Had the same dealer plates and all. At that price, and on the market this long, there has to be a history with this car. 996TT and 997TT are gaining in value for clean examples.

I know of an unadvertised 2001 Seal Gray 996TT for sale @ $65k asking. 80,000 km and fully setup for DE with complete suspension setup, bar, harnesses, GT3 seats, Trofeo R's, Girodisc etc... Not a mint street car that will look perfect at cars and coffee. But a track beast that has been setup properly and very well maintained. I can connect you in the event you're interested.

Cheers
Sounds like mine except the km
Old 03-09-2018, 05:20 PM
HyperMike
Intermediate

Thanks for all the quick replies! I read through that other thread that cstyles referenced...that's about what I had expected. Things just don't add up. If it was a good car it'd be long-sold, especially at that price.

Cstyles, I appreciate the lead on the 2001 car! It sounds very cool but probably more "track" and less "street" than what I'm looking for.

If you'll indulge me with another question...Is Pfaff Porsche generally considered an upstanding dealer to deal with? They have what appears to be a very nice silver 2001 996TT with 87,000KM for $70,000. Seems a little steep to me but I suppose if it were in great shape it might be fair?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-09-2018, 10:38 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

As with all dealers, you're going to get feedback good and bad. Personally I had a great experience with Pfaff buying my 997TT. I was able to negotiate a great deal which included about $5k worth of services & tires, and they gave me a trade value on my 996 C4S $1k more than I had paid for it a year prior. I dealt with Mark Basili but he's moved over to Pfaff McLaren since then.

That said, just because the car is at Pfaff doesn't mean it's a good car. You still need to do your due diligence - go put your eyes on it in person. I went to Pfaff to look at a black turbo which turned out to be in horrible cosmetic shape. But I ended up seeing the white 997TT they had just taken in on trade, wasn't listed online yet, and the rest is history. If the car passes your personal inspection, send it to Courtney @ EU Autowerks down the street for a PPI - they did a great job and found a few small things that I have no idea how they found ie a tear in the driver seat leather way down on the right side bolster up against the center console. I have no idea how they saw that LOL but proved to me they were thorough.

Good luck, 996TT is a great platform and is a bargain for the performance level you get. But 996TT and 997TT won't be bargains for much longer I think.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:39 AM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperMike
Thanks for all the quick replies! I read through that other thread that cstyles referenced...that's about what I had expected. Things just don't add up. If it was a good car it'd be long-sold, especially at that price.

Cstyles, I appreciate the lead on the 2001 car! It sounds very cool but probably more "track" and less "street" than what I'm looking for.

If you'll indulge me with another question...Is Pfaff Porsche generally considered an upstanding dealer to deal with? They have what appears to be a very nice silver 2001 996TT with 87,000KM for $70,000. Seems a little steep to me but I suppose if it were in great shape it might be fair?

Cheers,
Mike
I have been a customer at Pfaff for over 5 years and they have treated my like GOLD. My friend, Tom Neumann, is a salesman there and he is a GREAT guy and everyone I have introduced to him has loved dealing with him. Give him a call or shoot him an email: Phone: 905.850.4531 • Email: tomneumann@pfaffporsche.com
Old 03-10-2018, 04:21 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Look for the thread I started in January about this car. The dealer said it went to Barett Jackson but when I asked for the lot number he didn't reply. Something smells fishy about this dealer..
Old 03-11-2018, 08:21 PM
HyperMike
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cstyles
As with all dealers, you're going to get feedback good and bad. Personally I had a great experience with Pfaff buying my 997TT. I was able to negotiate a great deal which included about $5k worth of services & tires, and they gave me a trade value on my 996 C4S $1k more than I had paid for it a year prior. I dealt with Mark Basili but he's moved over to Pfaff McLaren since then.

That said, just because the car is at Pfaff doesn't mean it's a good car. You still need to do your due diligence - go put your eyes on it in person. I went to Pfaff to look at a black turbo which turned out to be in horrible cosmetic shape. But I ended up seeing the white 997TT they had just taken in on trade, wasn't listed online yet, and the rest is history. If the car passes your personal inspection, send it to Courtney @ EU Autowerks down the street for a PPI - they did a great job and found a few small things that I have no idea how they found ie a tear in the driver seat leather way down on the right side bolster up against the center console. I have no idea how they saw that LOL but proved to me they were thorough.

Good luck, 996TT is a great platform and is a bargain for the performance level you get. But 996TT and 997TT won't be bargains for much longer I think.
Cstyles...I'm glad to hear your experience with Pfaff was good. That's a gorgeous 997TT in my favourite colour! I agree that every car needs to be assessed on it's own merit...seeing the car in person is the biggest issue right now. I'm in Calgary and there are Zero 996TT's that I can find in Alberta so it's looking like I'm likely going to have to do a long-distance deal which obviously complicates things. I've done it before and typically I get as much info as possible on a vehicle, get a PPI done, put a deposit on it then fly to the vehicle and see/drive it in person. Unfortunately that puts the cost of the PPI at risk if there is something I don't like about the car in person! I too think the 996TT and 997TT represent an amazing performance value.

Originally Posted by palmpalm
I have been a customer at Pfaff for over 5 years and they have treated my like GOLD. My friend, Tom Neumann, is a salesman there and he is a GREAT guy and everyone I have introduced to him has loved dealing with him. Give him a call or shoot him an email: Phone: 905.850.4531 • Email: tomneumann@pfaffporsche.com
Palmpalm, I appreciate the recommendation and if I decide to pursue that car I will definitely contact Tom!

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-11-2018, 09:40 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Look for the thread I started in January about this car. The dealer said it went to Barett Jackson but when I asked for the lot number he didn't reply. Something smells fishy about this dealer..
There's no way a garden-variety 01 996 turbo with 93k is going barrett jackson. Nothing against this particular car - I know nothing about it. But it definitely ads to the fishy smell of this seller.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:47 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the forum and to the P-car game. I've been researching tons over the winter to help me decide what I want for my first Porsche and I've pretty much decided on a 996 Turbo. There seem to be a few available in different parts of the country (I'm in Calgary and unfortunately there are none around here at the moment). This car caught my eye and I was wondering if anybody in ON knows anything about it:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/porsche/9...%205P4&sprx=-1

To me it seems a little "too good to be true" at that price. It's clearly been for sale for a long while as all the photos were from Summer or Fall and the price has been dropped significantly (a total of about $17K) but at the current price it seems like a smoking deal...I even dig the red interior!

Anyway, if anybody has any info on it (good or bad!) I'd love to hear about it...Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

Cheers,
Mike
If PPI checks out the price is right. It's a 2001 I think the 60k they originally wanted was from the seller seeing later 04-05 models selling at that price. 45k is a good deal for today's value. I paid 41 for the same back in 2012 just during the end low point in value. Though the car I got had a lot of mods done for track. The one your looking at looks stock height and from details saying 415 hp without even a ecu flash done on it. It's also got GT2 wheels which is rare.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

Cstyles...I'm glad to hear your experience with Pfaff was good. That's a gorgeous 997TT in my favourite colour! I agree that every car needs to be assessed on it's own merit...seeing the car in person is the biggest issue right now. I'm in Calgary and there are Zero 996TT's that I can find in Alberta so it's looking like I'm likely going to have to do a long-distance deal which obviously complicates things. I've done it before and typically I get as much info as possible on a vehicle, get a PPI done, put a deposit on it then fly to the vehicle and see/drive it in person. Unfortunately that puts the cost of the PPI at risk if there is something I don't like about the car in person! I too think the 996TT and 997TT represent an amazing performance value.

Palmpalm, I appreciate the recommendation and if I decide to pursue that car I will definitely contact Tom!

Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

I actually got to check-out and drive that turbo at Pfaff today. Loved it. Almost bought it for myself! Give Tom a call and get that car because I doubt it will be there much longer with the weather about to turn.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:43 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Yeah, this dealer is super sketchy. This is probably why this car is still "for sale"..I inquired about it twice, once last year in September, and once in early Feb. "Dale" didn't seem too eager to sell it both times - it was really difficult for me to see the car both times. We texted a few times, I asked a bunch of (not unreasonable inquiries when shopping for a used car) questions, asked for a carproof and wanted to chat over the phone - he sent me a text of a photo of the ownership lol...I guess this TT will sell itself with a buy-it-now button lmao.

Quick Reply: Anybody know anything about this 996 Turbo?