Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Oil Change before/after Winter storage? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/1054472-oil-change-before-after-winter-storage.html)

ggrace 02-28-2018 07:54 PM

Oil Change before/after Winter storage?

For those of you who store your cars, do you change oil before or after Winter storage?

Ronan 02-28-2018 09:24 PM

For me it’s before. I like to put the car away with clean oil

Balu 02-28-2018 09:25 PM

Before.

Pags993 02-28-2018 09:25 PM

I have it changed before storage simply to avoid the work backlog at my indy in Spring. Turn the key and go until Fall. I work in the motor oil industry and have discussed this with PhD chemists and lifelong mechanics and have heard valid arguments for both pre and post storage oil changes. I choose to avoid the Spring backlog and I hate doing oil changes myself.

Gregster 02-28-2018 09:32 PM

We do everything before.. Don't want to get clogged up with oil changes or fluid changes in the spring

Mumbles 02-28-2018 09:32 PM

After its out of storage. Now if the previous year was 10-15k then I'd probably change before storage. But for me 2-3k a year.........after storage is fine.

Local P dealer stores clients vehicles and offers a Spring oil change, wash and clean.

ggrace 02-28-2018 11:23 PM

Thanks all. I’ve done before the last two years (the extent of my 911 ownership).

petee_c 03-01-2018 12:18 AM

Wait....

You're supposed to change the oil??!

I generally let it run its course and change based on mileage.

I thought the TBA in modern oils neutralize any corrosive byproducts of combustion.

vern1 03-01-2018 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by petee_c (Post 14838168)
Wait....

You're supposed to change the oil??!

I generally let it run its course and change based on mileage.

I thought the TBA in modern oils neutralize any corrosive byproducts of combustion.

Pls do not discuss facts in an oil thread :D

docdrs 03-01-2018 12:50 AM

Before........ lots of literature.....would you rather take a bath in dirty water before you go to sleep or in nice fresh clean water? Oil does not degrade sitting in your pan, it degrades from being used. But this is all hypothetical and in a real world as I think about my 23 year old honda snowblower that I have changed the oil maybe 5 times and it still starts on the first pull.......am I just more anal about the things that cost more ?........or am just more in love with my boats and pcar more than my snowblower and lawn mower?.....OMG , I have never changed my wifes oil............

Ronan 03-01-2018 07:14 AM

I know logically that modern synthetics have long lives. Yet , out of an abundance of caution I prefer to overservice. My ten year old Mezger for instance. is a complicated old beast and months of storage is not the ideal thing so I give it every chance

Tj40 03-01-2018 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by docdrs (Post 14838218)
Before........ lots of literature.....would you rather take a bath in dirty water before you go to sleep or in nice fresh clean water? Oil does not degrade sitting in your pan, it degrades from being used. But this is all hypothetical and in a real world as I think about my 23 year old honda snowblower that I have changed the oil maybe 5 times and it still starts on the first pull.......am I just more anal about the things that cost more ?........or am just more in love with my boats and pcar more than my snowblower and lawn mower?.....OMG , I have never changed my wifes oil............

LOL. I change before storage.......and top off the lawnmower with the dirty oil from the Porsche!! I figure I do 3K a year in the Porsche so its OK for the lawnmower - I did go 10 years before I actually checked the mowers oil. I've never changed to oil in the snowblower, that will probably get fully synthetic with 3K of use too :-)

petee_c 03-01-2018 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by docdrs (Post 14838218)
.....OMG , I have never changed my wifes oil............

TMI.... :P

Too many toys, and not enough time and resources to change the oil early for me.... (oil change supplies are close to $80 for the Porsche)... Motorycycle is $30.....

I put maybe 8-10,000km probably on the Porsche every year, and change the oil around 12-15,000km.... Recent years, the motorcycle is seeing about 2,000km/yr, but I'm hoping that number is closer to 5,000km this year....

Honda Snowblower is a big HS1132.... Don't know the hours on it, but I bought it used about 8 years ago,,, I might have 5 yrs on that oil..... John Deere riding mower.... about the same... but it at least has a filter.... I probably put 3-4 tanks of gas / winter through the blower.... My kids have taken over most of the lawnmowing, but it usually takes 20-30minutes per cut.

I like to keep the maintenance costs on these low, and use the funds to dabble in other projects

theiceman 03-01-2018 11:59 AM

usually do it before.. but this year i didn't as i will be doing some service work before i drive it this year that would mean dumping the oil.

docdrs 03-01-2018 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tj40 (Post 14838565)
LOL. I change before storage.......and top off the lawnmower with the dirty oil from the Porsche!! I figure I do 3K a year in the Porsche so its OK for the lawnmower - I did go 10 years before I actually checked the mowers oil. I've never changed to oil in the snowblower, that will probably get fully synthetic with 3K of use too :-)

Awesome idea, I broke down and put fresh 0W40 mobil 1 synthetic in the blower this year as I didnt have 30w and was too lazy to get some. Figured I would treat the old gal. Now she was to blow like my 911