Notices

Radar/laser detector useful in Vancouver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:23 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 616 Posts
Default Radar/laser detector useful in Vancouver?

I'm taking a delivery of a new 911 Turbo soon (again) and I thought about building in a radar detector and laser "parking sensors". Is it something people find useful in Vancouver? I was set on doing that after my experience in California, but in Vancouver, I've only had two close calls in over 2 years. I don't speed in neighborhoods, and on the highway, it seems no one cares. The traps on Sea to Sky are usually in the same places and clearly visible, and sometimes they don't even measure anything, just park a police car visibly to calm down speeders. So I don't know if I'll just be wasting money and time bothering with this. Any thoughts?
Old 02-27-2018, 09:35 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I don't know about the coast but here OPP have radar detector detectors on in the cars on all the time and having a detector won't help at all if the cops are using laser;
Old 02-27-2018, 09:40 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimV8
I don't know about the coast but here OPP have radar detector detectors on in the cars on all the time and having a detector won't help at all if the cops are using laser;
Detectors and laser jammers are legal in BC, so that's not a problem.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:58 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

When I moved from ON to BC I kept using my Beltronics STi. It picks up Ka on the Upper levels and Sea To Sky well, but I don't find it very useful anywhere else. That said, the police are usually in the same places on my way to work and the traffic here is so chill that I'm just chilling along with them at legal speeds - even on my Panigale!

I think that yes, you may as well have one here. Id get a GPS filtered one because mine wont shut up with K bands in the same spots day after day.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:35 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

I have an STi as well, and it's not very useful anymore on busy highways (400 series)....

It just picks up Audi's and any cars with collision avoidance or adaptive cruise control turned on.

Waze is much more helpful.

On rural routes, it's good, as Waze is crowd sourced, and there just isnt the numbers to provide good data. RD's work well then.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:03 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Gave up using a radar detector since laser is so prevalent. When you’re hit by a laser your goose is cooked. Laser detectors are useless.

Most surprised jammers are legal in BC. They are active transmitters against police devices and are highly illegal in most jurisdictions including the US. Is BC an exception??
Old 02-28-2018, 11:39 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 196 Posts

I am of the camp where both devices are useless.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:13 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

I'm pretty sure that all forms of jammers are illegal in BC also. I think the poster probably meant laser detectors.

I get ka warnings from the police just sitting there with it on almost every time. One time there were two officers standing beside eachother...one had ka running wild and the other laser. Thank god the ka guy was there!!!!!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:58 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Regarding legality - radar and laser detectors are legal in BC for sure. Jammers are a bit of a gray area. They are definitely legal to own and have installed. Using them may or may not be legal depending on circumstances. They are illegal to use for obstruction of police work, but that only applies if you know the police work is being conducted. As long as you do not know, you cannot be prosecuted (just like not obeying a police officer when they have not identified themselves as such). I'm not a layer, just googled precedents. So basically, the risk of using jammer is not that high, from what I could gather. But in my experience, it was not really worth it anyway, so I decided to check with others here.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:52 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i use both items. the V1 has saved me lots of money, over the years.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:56 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by bpeacock
My V1 has been with me for 10 years and never let me down. Recently upgraded to the V2 and love it thus far.
I still have my V1. Did you use the upgrade program? If so, did the transaction go smoothly?
Old 03-23-2021, 08:57 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

In my experience radar detectors are most useful in rural areas to alert against police cruisers that are running radar. They are almost useless in urban centres where laser is a commonly used tool fo speed enforcement.

I used a Beltronics STI for many years, but switched to the Uniden R3 a couple of years ago due to the vastly superior detection range as well as the ability to program out false positives, school zone digital speed indicators, etc.

Waze is also always on.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:06 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

I’m now using one of the new Unidens here in Vancouver.

amazing. Between that and waze it’s good coverage.

Quick Reply: Radar/laser detector useful in Vancouver?