Notices

BC luxury tax surcharge

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 08:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Freakhead
Looks like ICBC under NDP is going to look at raising insurance rates on luxury vehicles too. Mentioned in this piece on a surgeon suing ICBC after he crashed his Ferrari F40
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/surgeo...r&_gsc=KVEuc2Z
B.C should privatize insurance.
To be govt owned is just silly at this point.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:08 PM
v3n0m
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mistermct
Interesting... looks like Ferrari Vancouver read the taxes a bit different/wrong. Wonder why

Dear FMOV Client,
We hope this email finds you and your family well. We have had a very busy first quarter, and March is no exception especially with the new luxury car tax coming April 1st, 2018.

As of April 1st 2018:
  1. PST on Vehicles valued over $125,000.00 will increase to 15% from the current 10%.
  2. Vehicles valued over $150,000.00 will increase to 20% PST from the current 10%
  3. GST will remain at 5%, however it is our understanding that the GST will be calculated based on selling price plus PST and then GST will be calculated
  4. New Tax policies apply to both new and pre-owned vehicles
  5. Private sales and gifts of vehicles will attract 12%
The rate applies to both new and used passenger vehicles. See here for more details.
Absolutely no way this is correct regarding GST. Provincial government has no say how GST (Federal) is computed. GST is based on pre-tax amount. BC NDP has no power to alter this. Furthermore, your Federal GST filing would be completely wrong if you did it as described above.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:10 PM
v3n0m
7th Gear

That is the biggest bull**** claim. Should have just got an agreed value insurance policy.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v3n0m
That is the biggest bull**** claim. Should have just got an agreed value insurance policy.
not so with BS govt owned insurance agency.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:12 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Still happy I live in Alberta, even with the crap weather in the winter months. Still just costs me the 5% GST no matter what the price of the vehicle. My Insurance is about $1,000 per year on my 2017 911 Turbo-S with a sticker of $265,000.00. However, the deductible is $12,500 on that car. I do have some recreational properties in BC, but I keep all my cars, motorbikes and boats registered in AB, as that is my permanent residence. My AB income Tax has gone way up since we have the NDPs in power. For some time we had a flat Tax at 10%, now I am in the top bracket at some 16% (IIRC).
Old 03-27-2018, 05:40 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

anybody here bending over and taking the new tax hit in april on a luxury car purchase in B.C?

anybody here no longer looking to buy a luxury car after april 1st in B.C due to new tax rate?
Old 03-27-2018, 06:05 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do feel sorry for the folks who might be forced to buy new high end cars in BC. I can certainly see that segment taking a bit of a sales hit, but there may be some people with deep pockets who will just pay the price. The sales numbers would be interesting to see.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:38 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Ive been considering a different car and it seems like all the dealers are in a frenzy about getting their cars out the door before the new tax.

To me, if my budget is $X and the new tax comes in at $y additional costs, than my new budget is $x-$y! I feel that the dealers are scrambling because, much like what will happen if BC institutes some heavy real estate taxes, the value of their inventory is about to go down.

It would require an insane rush from me to beat the tax and I'll never rush a big purchase like that, so I'm going to end up sitting through the tax to see what happens. A lot of the cars Ive been looking at have been sitting for months anyways.

But the dealers are frantically trying to get my car in for an inspection for trade in value, etc... racing before the deadline for *my benefit*.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:54 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
anybody here bending over and taking the new tax hit in april on a luxury car purchase in B.C?

anybody here no longer looking to buy a luxury car after april 1st in B.C due to new tax rate?
I will bend over if I get the RS allocation. Not changing my car buying plans just yet. I know this makes no sense, but the property tax increase will be an order of magnitude bigger, so it's easier to overlook sore thumb when they are chopping off a leg.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:14 PM
TT Chris
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I will bend over if I get the RS allocation. Not changing my car buying plans just yet. I know this makes no sense, but the property tax increase will be an order of magnitude bigger, so it's easier to overlook sore thumb when they are chopping off a leg.
I will bend over too. I have 3 deposits on the RS. All from over 2 years ago. All dealers told me all their 918 owners took them all.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:35 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
I am surprised that ICBC would even write a policy on an F40.
And that's the root of it... ICBC did write the policy and are therefore obligated to repair the car regardless of cost. If they don't want to be involved in high-dollar car claims then they shouldn't be writing policies for them.

We need another option other than the ICBC monopoly.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:43 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

What do you guys think the new tax rates does to higher end used cars?
Prices go down to accommodate or do they stay flat with total costs going up? A mix of both?
Does the market go quiet and inventory sit?
I've been looking at R8s and GT3s and now McLaren 12cs here in Vancouver and it seems to me that, except for the GT3s that seem to move, the rest have been sitting for many many months.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:06 PM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

It seems BC has issues that go well beyond onerous taxation and insurance....
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...or-150000-cars

Last edited by DDzPorsche; 03-28-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: error
Old 03-28-2018, 11:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DDzPorsche
It seems BC has issues that go well beyond onerous taxation and insurance....
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...or-150000-cars
Looks like criminals will have a hard time finding places to wash money in B.C....

Never really though B.C as a mecca for washing cash however.... I think NDP are being a little too "hero" on this...
Old 03-29-2018, 04:06 PM
r8v10plus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BioBanker
What do you guys think the new tax rates does to higher end used cars?
Prices go down to accommodate or do they stay flat with total costs going up? A mix of both?
Does the market go quiet and inventory sit?
I've been looking at R8s and GT3s and now McLaren 12cs here in Vancouver and it seems to me that, except for the GT3s that seem to move, the rest have been sitting for many many months.
The GT3 is the only one that holds it's value, the new R8 was a flop and it's depreciation like crazy and the the 12c was a poorly built car which is also a money pit. The initial shock of the tax will hurt sales in the short term but in a few months the buyers will come back.

Quick Reply: BC luxury tax surcharge