BC luxury tax surcharge - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

BC luxury tax surcharge

Reply

Old 02-22-2018, 11:22 PM
  #31  
MaxLTV
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
MaxLTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Vancouver and San Francisco
Posts: 2,342
Default

Originally Posted by JimV8 View Post
My friend just bought a boat. 300K+. You car tax problems are trivial.
The irony is he paid less sales tax on it then I'll pay on my wife's Cayenne later this year.
MaxLTV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:58 PM
  #32  
beetleything
User
 
beetleything's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 416
Default

Never understood how they keep charging tax on a 2nd hand car - when the tax was paid on it when it was bought new...... it's the gift that just keep giving - to the government anyway....
beetleything is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:29 AM
  #33  
Damon88
User
 
Damon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 67
Default

Well said R8V. NDP is going to sink us into a recession...were screwed...ugh
Damon88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:49 AM
  #34  
Nate Tempest
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Nate Tempest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 314
Default

Originally Posted by MaxLTV View Post
...but why tax cars so punitively, and not other luxury items.
Some reasons that come to mind—it's convenient to tax cars, since you have to register them. (Couldn't tax, say, watches this way—people would just buy them in Alberta or elsewhere.) Also cars are expensive, so it brings in enough revenue to be worth the effort. These apply to other vehicles like boats too, as well as real estate. Finally, a very small percentage of the population are buying $100k+ cars, so you **** off relatively few voters. (And the ones wealthy enough to hurt you in other ways aren't bothered by a paying a few thousand more for their cars.)
Nate Tempest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:27 AM
  #35  
tse
User
 
tse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 557
Default

Originally Posted by Damon88 View Post
Well said R8V. NDP is going to sink us into a recession...were screwed...ugh
Don't underestimate the Liberals, I suspect the federal budget will keep Canada firmly uncompetitive...
tse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:43 PM
  #36  
canuck964
User
 
canuck964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 511
Default

Well as a resident of BC I now have a mildly socialist provincial government (well until the next budget when the "real" NDP will rear its ugly head) and a far left socialist Federal government.

I have yet to get a reasonable (to me anyways) answer as to why any citizen should have pay a marginal tax of over 50% as income taxes.

In other words why should the government get to keep more than I do on my work?

When combined with property taxes and consumption taxes (PST and GST) anyone in the highest marginal bracket is taxed at over 60% of their income.

How is that even healthy for an economy?

I know sorry this is completely off topic and political so no response to this commentary please.
canuck964 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:54 PM
  #37  
creaturecat
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver B C
Posts: 997
Default

i like to think of it as more of an ego tax.
stand on the corner of 2nd and Burrard, for 15 minutes
observe.
creaturecat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:08 PM
  #38  
tse
User
 
tse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 557
Default

Originally Posted by canuck964 View Post
Well as a resident of BC I now have a mildly socialist provincial government (well until the next budget when the "real" NDP will rear its ugly head) and a far left socialist Federal government.

I have yet to get a reasonable (to me anyways) answer as to why any citizen should have pay a marginal tax of over 50% as income taxes.

In other words why should the government get to keep more than I do on my work?

When combined with property taxes and consumption taxes (PST and GST) anyone in the highest marginal bracket is taxed at over 60% of their income.

How is that even healthy for an economy?

I know sorry this is completely off topic and political so no response to this commentary please.
It's not healthy for the economy.

It's healthy for liberal vote counts.
tse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:05 PM
  #39  
ronnie993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ronnie993tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto & Mont Tremblant
Posts: 3,593
Default

If you want low taxes, great health care and pipelines ya gotta move to the USA.
ronnie993tt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:48 PM
  #40  
beetleything
User
 
beetleything's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 416
Default

Originally Posted by creaturecat View Post
i like to think of it as more of an ego tax.
stand on the corner of 2nd and Burrard, for 15 minutes
observe.
Yeah BUT those "ego's" can afford it no problem........ Ferrari impounded oh no worries i'll just use the lambo instead etc etc....
beetleything is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 PM
  #41  
tse
User
 
tse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 557
Default

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt View Post
If you want low taxes, great health care and pipelines ya gotta move to the USA.
Sounds like paradise.

Any concerns one should watch out for?
tse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 PM
  #42  
MaxLTV
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
MaxLTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Vancouver and San Francisco
Posts: 2,342
Default

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt View Post
If you want low taxes, great health care and pipelines ya gotta move to the USA.
As long as it's not California. There taxes are the same as in BC (and higher on capital gains) and you get nothing for that, plus everyone openly hates anyone even marginally more successful. Vandalized cars or any other "luxuries" are a painfully common thing. There is no perfect place - if a place becomes too nice, someone in power tries to benefit from that, turning it to crap.
MaxLTV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:46 PM
  #43  
creaturecat
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver B C
Posts: 997
Default

Originally Posted by beetleything View Post
Yeah BUT those "ego's" can afford it no problem........ Ferrari impounded oh no worries i'll just use the lambo instead etc etc....
haha ........ meanwhile in today's news ....... note the "N" - probably on his way to high school classes ......


creaturecat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:21 PM
  #44  
09RedGTS
User
 
09RedGTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 952
Default

Wow! I had no idea some Canadian provinces were on the march to that level of taxes! I'd be poor if retired in Vancouver.

Just for comparison, here in my Suburban Orlando Florida county, sales tax on any auto is 6.25%. 93 octane premium gasoline is $2.90/gallon (about $.75/L), there is no state income tax, and real estate taxes are low (typically around 1% of actual home value/year). Home prices are still reasonable, typically $160 to $200/sq ft for new homes and less for late model used homes, and the tech sector here is growing with lots of job openings in engineering and IT. Auto insurance? My 2015 991.1 C2S is insured to the max $500k with $500 deductibles and $100k uninsured motorist, and costs about $950/year. Those are some of the reasons we retired here.

Last edited by 09RedGTS; 02-27-2018 at 10:21 PM.
09RedGTS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:36 AM
  #45  
Knight
Super User
 
Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
Posts: 2,129
Default

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS View Post
Wow! I had no idea some Canadian provinces were on the march to that level of taxes! I'd be poor if retired in Vancouver.

Just for comparison, here in my Suburban Orlando Florida county, sales tax on any auto is 6.25%. 93 octane premium gasoline is $2.90/gallon (about $.75/L), there is no state income tax, and real estate taxes are low (typically around 1% of time value/year). Home prices are still reasonable, typically $160 to $200/sq ft for new homes and less for late model used homes, and the tech sector here is growing with lots of job openings in engineering and IT. Auto insurance? My 2015 991.1 C2S is insured to the max $500k with $500 deductibles and $100k uninsured motorist, and costs about $950/year. Those are some of the reasons we retired here.
Wow that really puts things into perspective. And you’ve got sunshine most of the year too!
Knight is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: