Notices

OT - Water Pooling on Garage Floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 12:45 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 132 Posts
Default OT - Water Pooling on Garage Floor

Any suggestions on fixing a fairly large (8'X8') garage floor low spot? I am perpetually sweeping out large amounts of water from both cars that are kept in the garage during winter months. I had a company (Basecrete) patch it up approx. 9 years ago when we bought the home new however I'm back to where it started. Quite puzzling that the floor was poured without the proper slope in the first place however my discussion with Tarion and the builder on the same topic were short lived. I'm hoping to avoid having the floor taken out and re-poured if possible. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:11 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm guessing the floor was poured correctly but the ground underneath was incorrectly prepped so it has sunk.. A hole can be drilled and liquid concret can be pumped in raising the floor.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

I used slablifters to fix the exact same thing in my father's garage.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:51 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

How about cutting sloped drainage grooves?

Last edited by Imo000; 01-13-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:04 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I am looking at a similar issue in my garage on either side of a double garage. Since it is inevitable tyat the snow melting in e garage or rain coming off the vehicles , I am considering grinding a 1/2 - 3/4 inch deep 1or 2 foot by 1 or 2 foot depression in the middle of each side ( area of the rear differential to collect the water then occasionally shop vacing that sump pit out rather than having the water freeze at tge garage door floor interface ........
Old 01-15-2018, 12:06 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 733 Posts

I have the same issue in a 35 year old home. Annoying as it pools almost in the middle of the garage. This is only in the winter with the volume of slush, snow and ice on the vehicle that used to go in one side of the garage. Solved by storing two cars in there.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:04 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
How about cutting sloped drainage grooves?
I had the same issue in my garage. I was told it was graded, but in actual fact flat and puddles under the car.
I tried the cutting grooves for draining. This does work in theory, but they soon fill with sand and crap, necessitating vacuuming and coat hanger scratching to clear.
Best you will be able to do it get it flat, with maybe a self leveling compound and new finish.
Even IF your floor was graded high to low at the garage door. Water hits the door, then freezes your door stuck.
What we all need is a home carwash system, that cleans before entry to our vehicle shrines.
Kids college fund? Be dammed.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:38 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

What I need are drains in the middle under each vehicle .......next time, but im sure its not code
Old 01-15-2018, 11:42 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 290 Likes on 198 Posts

Park outside or crank up the heat in the garage and buy a shop vac. You will chase those puddles for ever and never be satisfied.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:55 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
Any suggestions on fixing a fairly large (8'X8') garage floor low spot? I am perpetually sweeping out large amounts of water from both cars that are kept in the garage during winter months.
Well, one thing that will help a little, is to stop sweeping and buy a 36" floor squeegee from Home Depot.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:11 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Well, one thing that will help a little, is to stop sweeping and buy a 36" floor squeegee from Home Depot.
It still sucks doing that, I have the squeegee. Much better than sweeping, not sure if OP actually sweeps with a broom. Water would make its way under the stored 911. Pooling all round sucks.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
What I need are drains in the middle under each vehicle .......next time, but im sure its not code
So from over at the Terry Love building forum this question was asked and the answer apparently is..

"in the city of Ottawa, (and probably all of Ontario, maybe all of Canada), a drain in the garage is permitted under the Ontario Building Code. The only condition is that you must have a P trap and appropriate vent. It must drain to the septic system or city sewers.

If this was a commercial installation where cars are worked on, you would need to have a oil/water separator. "

I'd love to install - would have been possible in the old house but my new place has a suspended garage floor with basement underneath.....
Old 01-17-2018, 10:20 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40
So from over at the Terry Love building forum this question was asked and the answer apparently is..

"in the city of Ottawa, (and probably all of Ontario, maybe all of Canada), a drain in the garage is permitted under the Ontario Building Code. The only condition is that you must have a P trap and appropriate vent. It must drain to the septic system or city sewers.

If this was a commercial installation where cars are worked on, you would need to have a oil/water separator. "

I'd love to install - would have been possible in the old house but my new place has a suspended garage floor with basement underneath.....

"If you seek permission."
Old 01-17-2018, 10:49 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts

I cut a 10x10 inch square in the centre of the low spot, dug the hole out about 12 inches and filled it with crushed stone to act as a drain. This works fine as long as the amount of water is not too excessive and can be absorbed by the soil beneath. In Toronto it is not so cold that the water is freezing under the floor and causing other problems - all things to think about. Also, the low spot in my case is in an area below one of our vehicles and doesn't interfere with walking anywhere in the garage.

At some point when the house gets older I will likely replace the floor, but this solution has already worked for me for several years.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:49 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
I cut a 10x10 inch square in the centre of the low spot, dug the hole out about 12 inches and filled it with crushed stone to act as a drain. This works fine as long as the amount of water is not too excessive and can be absorbed by the soil beneath. In Toronto it is not so cold that the water is freezing under the floor and causing other problems - all things to think about. Also, the low spot in my case is in an area below one of our vehicles and doesn't interfere with walking anywhere in the garage.

At some point when the house gets older I will likely replace the floor, but this solution has already worked for me for several years.
Brilliant!

Quick Reply: OT - Water Pooling on Garage Floor