Notices

My Ford problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

If what you say is true, Big Smoke, that's insane. I'm sure there may be a second side to the story but NO MATTER how bad it is, having the service manager tell you he wants to punch you is plain crazy. Don't go back there for sure...

P.S. I'm not saying all dealers are good guys; there are ******** out there but living the other side, I have seen first hand that customers lie and cheat more than dealers do...those who are in the automotive business will understand. The things I've seen and heard...you wouldn't believe it. Lol.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
If what you say is true, Big Smoke, that's insane. I'm sure there may be a second side to the story but NO MATTER how bad it is, having the service manager tell you he wants to punch you is plain crazy. Don't go back there for sure...

P.S. I'm not saying all dealers are good guys; there are ******** out there but living the other side, I have seen first hand that customers lie and cheat more than dealers do...those who are in the automotive business will understand. The things I've seen and heard...you wouldn't believe it. Lol.
Share us a few of these stories.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:30 AM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks guys.

Regarding the comments that dealers will warranty anything they can, unfortunately, I'll have to call BS on that. I have found that any time a dealer can get out of a warranty claim, they have tried. I have had to fight tooth and nail, every time. Dodge, Subaru, Mercedes and now Ford. Every time. Mercedes tried to not warranty a blown out header because I had suspension work done. Then they tried to sell me new tires, when I had replaced the tires the previous week.

Also, I know I'm going to run into a two-pronged argument. Firstly, I haven't heard back from Ford Canada, and the car is ready. So there will be a debate on Warranty, which unfortunately, I'm likely to lose, because I want my car back. Secondly, they are trying to charge ~$800 for this broken axle bearing. I don't know what this part costs, but I can't imagine the part, or the labour justifies $800.

Every time I go to a dealership, I feel like I'm going to war. I was hoping they would honour the warranty, then I would pay them to do the servicing. We could all hold hands and sing coombiyah (sp?). That's never how it works out....
Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

If they replaced the entire CV shaft then the labour shouldn't be more than an hour. The shaft/axle is probably expensive because it's and ST.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:17 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Well,, that was fun. They will not warranty the part, and the exact reason is that the way the part broke is not because of a defect, and the warranty only replaces parts that are broken due to defect.

This makes no sense to me. It didn't break because I was driving it too hard. And it didn't break because of the part. Therefore, it broke because of... magic? Stealership strikes again.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:35 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Well,, that was fun. They will not warranty the part, and the exact reason is that the way the part broke is not because of a defect, and the warranty only replaces parts that are broken due to defect.

This makes no sense to me. It didn't break because I was driving it too hard. And it didn't break because of the part. Therefore, it broke because of... magic? Stealership strikes again.
You bought it used. How do you know it wasn't abused or damaged?

Also, part cost isn't a mystery...will be on the quote, no?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

did you get the part back ? id love to see a pic , along with the other gear heads here .
Old 01-17-2018, 06:21 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

In my bitter and vengeful fits .... I often get the part way cheaper and have my indy install it.
Why reward ford with the part sale? Or the dealership for the repair?
O/P - get the part numbers. Shop the repair. Find out the book hours for the repair. Your not done.
In my best accent....
"They may have denied you warranty, but they'll never take away your FREEDOM to spend your money where you want. "

Old 01-18-2018, 12:29 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-manufacturer/
Old 01-18-2018, 03:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

His car is fixed , once they have a broken car you need in their shop , you are somewhat at their mercy unless you want to take a couple days off work , hunt around, hire a tow truck to move it pay them for the diagnostic time they will soak you for .. etc
its a racket.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
His car is fixed , once they have a broken car you need in their shop , you are somewhat at their mercy unless you want to take a couple days off work , hunt around, hire a tow truck to move it pay them for the diagnostic time they will soak you for .. etc
its a racket.
Exactly.

Sorry for the terrible pictures, but there they are.

I'm reasonably sure that the previous owner didn't get into a collision, and lie about it because:
1) he's given me "all" of the invoices and service history of the car. Even the stuff you'd lie about if you were that sort of person
2) he's still in contact with me, and he's even called the dealer to try to walk them through his history
3) Throughout the whole process of buying the car, and even afterwards, he has been supportive.

Just doesn't seem like a guy that would lie about this to save a grand or two, when he was more than willing to come down on price and split certain other costs. Perhaps he's a professional con artist, but I really doubt it.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
I have seen first hand that customers lie and cheat more than dealers do...those who are in the automotive business will understand. The things I've seen and heard...you wouldn't believe it. Lol.
Absolutely. Part of the reason I got out of it.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Christien
Absolutely. Part of the reason I got out of it.
I don't disagree with you. It just sucks being treated as if I'm being dishonest with the dealer, when I'm not.

I'm really interested to hear from any knowledgeable mechanics. Does that picture look like the car must've been in a collision to break like that?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:53 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Wow that failure is totally not what I was expecting failure wise.. to snap that off in am "impact" there would be a **** load more damage to the suspension and even then I don't think the snout would sheer off like that. I'm not a metallurgist but Look at where it cracked in the middle of the photo, looks like it spread and finally broke off. Manufacture defect? The abuse thing is funny, it's not like the Feista ST is pumping out an insane amount of power

A new OEM part on rock auto is 150$ plus shipping.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
its a racket.
Around these parts legally I can't hold a car in the shop against the owners will. I've got cars in before that were in pieces from the dealer because they refused warranty (BMW engines) then we ended up changing the engines. Porsche just denied extended warranty on a Cayenne S, we got it in with half the engine apart.

Quick Reply: My Ford problem