Notices

OT: is AWD worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 11:26 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

yes correct it is an active system, but it is variable in lock-up, it is not on/off.
I have not yet driven a Xdrive car on track so can't comment there (although one of my customers' customer has a full track prepped 335xi and solely uses it for that purpose), but can say I find it performs very well when pushed hard other places... with TC off it is full rally car in snow, loves big angles
Old 12-24-2017, 11:37 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
yes correct it is an active system, but it is variable in lock-up, it is not on/off.
I have not yet driven a Xdrive car on track so can't comment there (although one of my customers' customer has a full track prepped 335xi and solely uses it for that purpose), but can say I find it performs very well when pushed hard other places... with TC off it is full rally car in snow, loves big angles
Actually I agree about the X-drive vs stability control. I haven't had any issues at all with x-drive itself although I haven't taken it to the track (yet). With DSC completely off the car behaves as predicted as far as I can tell and launches out of corners. But when DSC is on (and DTC off) the intervention is way too intrusive and makes the car feel pretty unpredictable. I'd much prefer a system that doesn't completely kill the power when there is a bit of wheelspin but still keeps the car safe.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:40 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I drove AWD for years (with snows) but my last 9 years in my Mini Cooper S on Blizzaks have been a blast. I refer to it as the rally car. Only issue is ground clearance when the snow is deep.
I had a MINI for one Winter, when I worked for BMW Canada, and it was the best non-AWD car I've ever driven in the snow.

I run Winter tires on any car I own.

Quick Reply: OT: is AWD worth it?