Notices

2017 C2 reversing camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 03:40 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
^ Indeed. A dime size camera can save lives, especially kids from getting run over
Teach your kids to be aware of their surroundings first.
Kids will just bounce off anyway the way they're bubble packed these days.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Good advice and I’m sure 2 year-olds always listen and are constantly aware of their surroundings. There’s a reason why cameras are becoming mandatory equipment, and I’m all for technology solving this problem. Kids are small, and depending on the vehicle the blind spots are big.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:35 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

One poor sod ran over his grandson while backing outta the driveway. Walk the next steps in his shoes.......
Old 12-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Bizarre incidents happen all the time and I feel really sorry for the people that this happened to but common sense can save even more lives than a camera. The crappy driver education system on this continent caused more fatalities than any "safety" product a car manufacturer can bolt on. If you are concerned with backing over someone or something, then perhaps backing into your driveway when getting home is a better option. Some employers have this as a policy when using company vehicles but that requires a certain amount of common sens from the driver. The more these "safety tools" become standards options, the less a driver is going to use their head when driving. At least that's what I think.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:40 AM
wc11
Race Car

^^^ this ^^^
ie: How many idiots are driving around at night without their full lighting system on because they think auto headlights will take care of it?

" Good advice and I’m sure 2 year-olds always listen and are constantly aware of their surroundings."
It's the parents responsibility to watch their 2 year-olds
Old 12-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are many responsible parents who watch their 2 year olds. Accidents still happen. A reversing camera is an added safety feature. It's like kid proofing your house. Will, come down to Sick Kids emergency department to see wonderful parents whose kids were out of sight for only a few seconds. Or nannies that were distracted. Or grandparents that were too slow to react. It's a great safety feature that adds to driver vigilance.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:50 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm always amazed at the arguments that some people make opposing progress. They are the same people who opposed compulsory seat belts, air bags, daytime running lights, modern brake systems, yada yada. Most of their arguments have one thing in common........nonsense.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:58 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

^^^ this ^^^
ie: How many idiots are driving around at night without their full lighting system on because they think auto headlights will take care of it?

" Good advice and I’m sure 2 year-olds always listen and are constantly aware of their surroundings."
It's the parents responsibility to watch their 2 year-olds
Weren't you the one who mused that kids are bubble wrapped these days? Your attitude reminds me of being a kid myself and getting into a car with friends' parents who would dutifully note that I didn't need to wear my seatbelt because they were good drivers.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petee1997
I'm always amazed at the arguments that some people make opposing progress. They are the same people who opposed compulsory seat belts, air bags, daytime running lights, modern brake systems, yada yada. Most of their arguments have one thing in common........nonsense.
+1
Old 12-19-2017, 02:06 PM
wc11
Race Car

I'm not against them at all and accidents do happen yes and will always unfortunately happen.
While an added benefit for sure, it's by no means a replacement nor is it meant to be. Comm on sense, which is not so common anymore should prevail.
You still have to be aware and responsible and teach kids to be. How many times have we seen kids and pets left in hot cars? Reminding devices coming?
It seems that the "smarter" cars get, the dumber drivers get.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:52 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Would any body here drive without a seat belt because they can brace themselves properly against the dash board or steering wheel?
How about learning how to modulate their brakes 30 times a second in case their ABS fails during braking?
I don't disagree that one needs to have some understanding of basic things like looking around your vehicle before moving, but all of these aids are now standard equipment where there were not decades ago. Progress has made these necessary and in every SINGLE case, accidents and deaths have been reduced.
Same thing for back up cameras. I always checked around my cars or trucks before pulling off, but there are still multiple blind spots. My new truck has no blindspots and has six cameras. I never use my rearview mirror when reversing and I think the rear view mirror should be replaced by a feed from a set of rear cameras, since the field of view is unobstructed and about 100% greater than reflecting through pillars and people. (its in the new cadillac escalades)
I would go further to say that all these cameras should also come with proximity alerts as it is proven that sound alerts us even better than sight.
All of this will be mute anyway because I can rarely go further than 50 metres before coming to a stop and can usually can go faster in reverse down my driveway than forward on a regular road due to ridiculous traffic congestion.
All if these issues could be resolved by buying a single seater helicopter........

Quick Reply: 2017 C2 reversing camera