Info forImporting US 911s to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 06:19 PM
maverick613
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Info forImporting US 911s to Canada

Hello All,

This is my first post in this section (...as I just registered yesterday and was not aware of a Canadian Section...) and I am most excited to be here.
I have been a Porsche addict for as long as I can remember...I swear I think it was the first German word I spoke 'Porsche Neuen Elf' anyways I am in the market for a late 80s 3.2 Carrera (at least that is the mood I'm in today...tommorrow -hmm- 78-79' SC perhaps...) As us great folks of the boarder know, while there are 911s to be had in Canada is seems a bit pal when compared to the 911 multitude in the South. I have just relocated from TO to Vancouver (poor me...I know ; ) ) So I'm thinking hmm a nice Cali 911 for a song would be a great start to my long awaited Porsche ownership. My research has lead me to here of may places for information, and while I have learned much, mostly I learned I still have much to learn. So beside the website for Transport Canada, Cdn Customs and the Registar of Imported Vehicles can anyone else give me some more info, tips or suggestions - any information would be helpful. Similarly I've never actually test driven any Porsches to date - save one bad experience...(there I was ready to tear off in a mid 80s Euro spec 911 w/ a short shift kit installed. Just as I ease off the clutch it stalls. no problem, just start it up again - right!? - yeah thats what I thought to, thats exactly what I attempted to do. Calmly twisting the key hanging out of the ignition when....nothing!????....looking down at my hand with the remaining of a snapped key in it...OMG $#!* ....Yeap you bet first test flight and the key snaps clean off in the ignition!!! That was my first 911 experience -sigh- I suppose it was a sign...) So any willing, compassionate owers of 911s in either the Vancouver or Toronto area that take some pity on my plight and wouldn't mind sharing a 911 experience with me I would be eternally greatfull - not to mention, drinks on me!!!

Thanks all,

Steph

Ps does anyone know if any Porsches were ever manufactured in the US and what the letter would be on the VIN number. For example...S is for Stutgard, what is it (if at all) for the US ,,,,
Old 12-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I am also looking at importing a Porsche from the US to Canada, (Toronto)

All the Porsche are made in Germany so does that mean there is going to be duty charged and how about running lights, also there is a different speedometer mph vs kh/m. In my Corvette i can switch mph vs kh/m.

What have you found out as to certifying the car and what taxes are applicable, GST, Provicial Sales Tax and is there duty and if so to what % rate is duty.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:48 AM
delhi
Racer

I don't quite know the exact details. Perhaps it has to past certain mandatory crash tests and emissions tests. I know there's actually a fair bit of US Porsches here in Canada. IIRC, there are no differences b/t US and Canadian Porshes other than it's miles vs km measurements.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:39 PM
maverick613
Cruisin'

Default Taxes, duty and other charges....

Hi there,

Thanks for the response so far... I look forward to any others.

As far a the duty goes...after having talked to Cdn Cus. there isa 6.1% duty charge for cars built outside the US (otherwise the NAFTA would kick in to our favor) thats why, doubtful as I was...I wondered IF by some small chance any 911s had be built in the US (though then it really does beg the question...would you really still want it if it was...) As far as other charges go theres the 7% GST you pay at the boarder, a $100 'Air conditioning' charge (...don,t ask me why, and don't shoot the messenger... : ) ) if A/C is installed (this is charged whether it works or not) . Cars lesser than 15 years old are subject to a $182 Registar of Import Vehicle fee (I think its $182 , its $18? for sure but I have to check my note to be 100% sure) There's a pro-rated charge if a car is over 4 thousand ansd something pounds...which, well obviously doesn't apply to us. And of course any costs incurred in modification needed to make the car legal. And after all that we still are interested in importing...it MUST be love ; )

As far as the Mph/Kph speedometer goes I was thinking about this...Don't they have dual scales like we do ex. we have an outer kph scale and an inner mph scale ...and if so wouldn't that be valid enough for us up north. (Understanding of course that we'd the scale would probably be reversed if it came from the US) No if I'm SOL on that theory what does one do to remedy this problem?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2003, 12:41 PM
maverick613
Cruisin'

Exclamation ...whoops almost forgot

I alomost forgot,

Though I'm sure you all know this....there is also PST charged at the time you actually registar the car...

Cheers
Old 12-17-2003, 02:40 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The speedometer/odometer can be changed digitally by the onboard computer not sure if the analog will change, you can check this out at a Canadian tire store they are the ones who inspect the cars, you should go there and talk to them and find if the will except the digital readout in KH/M, they should.
Other than the 6.1% duty it's not to difficult to import a car, they told me last year there were 50,000 imported cars to Canada from the states.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:37 AM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about Ontario or BC, but the last time I registered a 10+y/o car in Quebec, I was charged 8 cents in PST!!!

Turns out they don't keep value records for more than 10 years. I declared 1$ for the car...

I made the mistake when I bought my first p-car... never again!
Old 12-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Dan Stratton
Intermediate

Hey Maverick I was just going through the same thing - thinking of a 993. But need to to sell my 89 911 3.2 Blue on Blue 1st. Located in Richmond. (If your interested in an already imported california car)
Old 12-26-2003, 11:18 PM
fuzebox
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Info forImporting US 911s to Canada

Originally posted by maverick613
Hello All,
I have just relocated from TO to Vancouver (poor me...I know ; ) )
?!

This is a blessing. Another couple of months and you'll refuse to admit you are from "Toranna" to anyone
Old 12-30-2003, 03:28 AM
maverick613
Cruisin'

Default 89' 911

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response...and though I am interested I must be honest that I don't know if I'm yet in the best position to pay what you may ask for it...The truth is I'm still in the 'saving' mode and while there is always a possibility that I would buy one sooner than I planned it is unlikely. My plan was to basically research the US market and learn as much as I can while saving my dough.

I have yet to actually physically look at a 911...kick the tires so to speak (gentley and lovingly, of course). Other than an envious glance at the car parked across the street or pressing my nose against the glass at the MCL dealership on Burrard and 5th, my hand s on time on them is very limited. And still the classic internal debate continues "sHould I target a 78-79 SC or a later 87-89 with a G50 gearbox etc... I figure until I examine them both in detail its hard to decide. I would be most eternally greatful if I could come and look at yours at a time that would be convenient to you.

Cheers!
Old 12-30-2003, 09:52 AM
delhi
Racer

I find in canada, Toronto areas have the best prices for Porsches. Although Quebec ones are also can be had for cheap... but we all know how Quebec cars are qui?
Old 12-31-2003, 12:35 AM
Dan Stratton
Intermediate

Maverick any time when it's not snowing is fine with me. I must warn though once you sit behind the steering wheel and the bug bights.... you won't stop looking till you have found your Porsche! Drop me an email if you would like to come have a look.

dan@innovationnetworks.ca

and for some pictures:
http://pics.innovationnetworks.ca/jalbum/Cars!/Porsche/default.htm
Old 01-01-2004, 02:59 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You gentlemen may find this link helpful:

http://www.dsm.org/menu.epl?item=225
Old 01-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Z06