Notices

Muskoka Drive on Sunday October 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:30 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 834 Likes on 458 Posts
Default Muskoka Drive on Sunday October 1

I haven't been up to Muskoka for a while and the weather is looking good this weekend. I'm thinking of going on a drive through the area this Sunday, to take in the fall colours and experience more interesting roads than what I have around Waterloo. I wanted to join the main Fall drive on the 15th, but I'll be traveling for work then. I'm wondering if anyone here would like to come along with me this Sunday.

UPDATED: There are two route options I'm considering:
1. Meet at Tim Hortons on 11 north of Orillia around 10:30 AM. Head north up to Rosseau through twisty roads, have lunch, then come down through a different scenic route. May include Southwood road. About 200 km, and little over 3 hours of driving from the starting point (north of Orillia) back to the starting point.
2. Meet in Gravenhurst around 11 AM. Head north through twisty and scenic roads, and eat lunch somewhere along the way. End in Parry Sound. Around 150 km and a little over 2 hours of driving.

Let me know if there are any roads to avoid, as I haven't been through these routes in a while.

I myself will be coming from Waterloo. This is not going to be fancy and well planned like PCA runs, but I'd be happy to meet some people and have a few other Porsches join me. Since this is just a last minute idea, I'm not really expecting or prepared for a large group. Is anyone interested in coming along for an informal cruise?

Last edited by wizee; 09-30-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:06 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Enjoy the drive. Stay off Southdown Road if you can avoid it as it's in rough shape. I did the drive from Hwy 11 to Bala two weeks ago and hit several pot holes and frost heaves. I ended up doing $1200 damage to the front suspension (broken FL wheel bearing, misaligned steering rack). It's a beautiful road when it's in good shape, but it's really rough these days.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:38 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Weather looks excellent tomorrow and while the colours are not as great as other years it's still very nice. I live in Huntsville full time now and found some great driving roads through Muskoka, Huntsville and the Algonguin Highlands. Good luck on the ride and btw I haven't found any tunnels as yet. Be on the lookout for deer, but as long as it's mid day that shouldn't be a problem but if early or towards dusk it could be an issue. I've seen several strikes this year and the collisions cause big damage.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:41 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

Jim you must love living up there...it is beautiful country without all of the big city rat race crap.
Do you have a deer whistle on your car? I think they are supposed to help deter deer.
I hope you guys have a great drive, I would love to join but too much going on.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:59 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

Beautiful country up there! Kids used to go to summer camp around there, and we would stay at Taboo Muskoka. Would love to see some shots of the lake and fall foliage! Enjoy the drive!
Old 09-30-2017, 11:06 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nowakm99
Enjoy the drive. Stay off Southdown Road if you can avoid it as it's in rough shape. I did the drive from Hwy 11 to Bala two weeks ago and hit several pot holes and frost heaves. I ended up doing $1200 damage to the front suspension (broken FL wheel bearing, misaligned steering rack). It's a beautiful road when it's in good shape, but it's really rough these days.
Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of taking Southwood Road on the way up, but I'll probably change the route a bit now. It was in rough shape the last time I went and I suppose it must have further deteriorated since then.

I'll share pictures after the trip. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-30-2017, 08:02 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a place in Torrance ( southwood and 169). Drove the road 2x this summer with the last being 3 weeks ago in my SUV. There are some rough areas but im surprised he did 1200 damage. You have to slow down dead slow for all rail crossings and if your car is lowered I would not recommend it. I personally would take it with my non lowered c4s but thats me. It did take a beating over last winter tho. Hwy 38 from bala to 400 is a blast then off at 69 back towards port carling but cut early before and up thru port sandfield is nice. Enjoy your day , one day hope to join some guys up there.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:56 AM
SlntSam
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll prob come out tomorrow, is this still on? I sent you a PM with my cell #. Feel free to call/txt
Old 10-01-2017, 01:33 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SlntSam
I'll prob come out tomorrow, is this still on? I sent you a PM with my cell #. Feel free to call/txt
Still on. Two's better than one. For some reason, I didn't get your PM, but I sent you a PM with my contact info. If you didn't get my PM, just reply to this thread by around 8 AM in the morning saying which route you'd prefer and when/where you'd like to meet.

If all else fails, I'll be stopping at the Tim Hortons on Hwy 11 north of Orillia (near Weber's) and will probably be there from around 10:40 to 11 AM. I'll be in a blue 987 Boxster, and I'll check Rennlist too while at Tummies.

Last edited by wizee; 10-01-2017 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:19 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
Still on. Two's better than one. For some reason, I didn't get your PM, but I sent you a PM with my contact info. If you didn't get my PM, just reply to this thread by around 8 AM in the morning saying which route you'd prefer and when/where you'd like to meet.

If all else fails, I'll be stopping at the Tim Hortons on Hwy 11 north of Orillia (near Weber's) and will probably be there from around 10:40 to 11 AM. I'll be in a blue 987 Boxster, and I'll check Rennlist too while at Tummies.
Make that 10:50 to 11:10 as I'm running behind a bit. Heading out from Waterloo now and need to make a short stopover in Mississauga.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:24 AM
SlntSam
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to have to stand you up. Can't get out of previous commitment that was made for me.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:51 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SlntSam
Going to have to stand you up. Can't get out of previous commitment that was made for me.
Oh well, it happens to all of us. Hope you have an otherwise pleasant day. I'm taking a break at the Timmies now, then will head up to Gravenhurst and beyond. I'll share pictures
Old 10-02-2017, 11:50 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

We drove Southwood Dr from 169 to 11 with Saturns Deives a week or so ago. Great drive and not overly harsh.

Quick Reply: Muskoka Drive on Sunday October 1